Shotgun for sale CHEAP!

General chat about The Hunter. For suggestions, please use the "Suggestions"-room below.
gas56
Outfitter

Re: Shotgun for sale CHEAP!

Post by gas56 »

My first gun IRL was an old Iver Johnsons 16 ga single shot shotgun....... that was a trip for a 14 year old boy to use............ :lol: (that's been quite a few years ago)
It was full choke and used 2 5/8 paper shells, it was a wonder that old gun never blew up in my face.........although I did start just using 2 3/4 low brass shells.....that wasn't any better but I didn't know it then :roll:
I did use it for squirrel hunting mostly, because mostly I couldn't hit anything else with it,... unless it was on the ground and 40 yards away form me.
I had to make a new firing pin for it because it was so worn out and wouldn't fire off sometimes, it took me a whole day to file down one by hand out of a hardened bolt, and it wasn't the prettiest thing you ever saw either, but it worked. And when you shot it the forearm stock would sometimes come off, that never got fixed.............. :lol:
I was the happiest camper when I got a new 12 ga shotgun.

In the game shooting pheasant is critical to have that shotgun up and ready as fast as you can if you are just kicking up birds, but you do need a shotgun which responds faster to do that.
One thing you can try is learning to set up your shot,.. The pheasant once flushed doesn't take much time to get out of good target range.
I recommend that you do get behind the pheasant when you spot it. Coc# your shotgun and be ready to shoot, whistle to make it flush(I use the g key),
follow the bird with the muzzle of the barrel, you don't need a perfect line-up to hit it ... and I don't even watch the bead(front sight) for the playing in the game.
When the barrel tip is close on the bird pull the trigger. I set myself off just to an slight angle to the right or the left, behind of the bird when flushing it,.. that way I can see the tip of the barrel
a lot better. The only time I get center right behind the bird is when I'm using a bow to shoot it right after the flush.
When you see a pheasant flying broadside of you when you're just out rambling around, get that gun up as fast as you can and follow it with your barrel tip at its beak and then
fire when you are in place but keep the shotgun muzzle tip moving with the bird while pulling the trigger.
I like to use the pump shotguns, because I like to take 2 birds if they are lined up close enough, and sometimes they can maneuver out of your point with their erratic up & down
flight where you'll be glad you have the extra shots to take them down when they level out.
One thing that you should always be aware of is that a shotgun is made for pointing on flying birds, not aiming like a rifle sight on animals.
I've used this technique IRL and every computer bird hunting game that was ever made and it worked the same for all of them to take them down.
Although this game does not represent the SxS shotguns accurately with a modified and a full choke pattern for a close shot then a further shot to take advantage of a flushed bird.
IMO the 10 ga. lever and 12 ga. pump are the best shotguns for taking ducks, geese, and any other birds in the game where shooting a bunch of them with multiple shots.
Now if you are persistently set on using other shotguns then that's your privilege,.. but don't always expect the same results unless you are a real sky shooter......... :lol:
One last this is that you can set your mouse movement in the game settings, to make it fast or slower,.. whichever speed you are more comfortable with when shooting.
Have a good 1....................GAS

P.S.... In the game it is required to shoot a flying bird most of the time in most activities ... (missions, comps,... scoring)
SoftShoe
Outfitter

Post by SoftShoe »

I want thank y'all for your tips & suggestions for using the scatter gun! I wasn't able to hunt again until this evening but in a single hunt I was able to quadruple the number of ringnecks I have taken on the wing in a single hunt.

Oh & the Blaser was a great suggestion! I decided to go for the purdy one :lol:

Sherab86
Hunter

Post by Sherab86 »

Hmmm... This thread was interesting read, because it may somehow confirm my suspects, that internet speed and/or GPU (and/or CPU) performance may influance lead needed. I've noted this with rifles, actually - and at least in some cases, I needed more of lead to hit movin animals where I want, than I woul'd expect. And it seems to be the same with shotguns to some point. Don't take me wrong - There is no big lead needed also for me (and I guess one would need more of it IRL), but especially with the birds flying perpendicular to my aim line, at 20-30 meters, I definitely need a lead ahead of animal to hit them (12ga).

It is probably useful to note, that "small game", with notabale exception of turkeys, do not have internal organs. So their "damage" mechanics works slightly different. ;) I've also noted, that our shotguns in game are really bad patterned. ;) I mean, that pattern seems to be quite chaotic and random. IRL one can "pattern" his weapon by choosing proper ammo with it, for example, to achieve consistent, repetitive pattern. This is not the case in-game. And obviously, we don't have a chokes too.

But I wouldn't wait to much with ptarmigans, to be honest. I don't know why, but for me they are not only more pleasent to hunt, but even somehow easier. So if you like hunting small game in general, in this game, then give them a try too. You can always go back to pheasants ;)
SoftShoe
Outfitter

Post by SoftShoe »

Sherab86 wrote:Hmmm... This thread was interesting read, because it may somehow confirm my suspects, that internet speed and/or GPU (and/or CPU) performance may influance lead needed. I've noted this with rifles, actually - and at least in some cases, I needed more of lead to hit movin animals where I want, than I woul'd expect.
Leading in this game is deff different. I have noticed with rifles I need to lead more then I real life & shotguns it has been proven obvious allot less lead is needed.

Radamus
Master Hunter

Post by Radamus »

I'll never forget the first time I saw there was a clay pigeon setup and went to try that out - I went zero for whatever- I couldn't hit crap! So my first experience was terrible. The first spring after I had joined is when they released goose hunting. I never did the ducks because the costs were pretty staggering to me as a noob so I held off. I really got into the geese at this point and my stats were terrible, probably shot 30% and worked up to 50-60% shooting. That fall I dove into ducks - holy crap! that was a disaster! but I worked on it more and more and got close to 50% shooting - Then going back to geese it was like hitting slow moving school buses and stats soared up! One exercise that helps develop is switching between different birds/clay practice and it becomes very much like IRL, where it's more instinctive
I'm yet to score perfect on the trap range but I get within a couple pretty consistently.
With pheasant I've found that instead of trying to get a quick shot off, actually waiting for the flight line to stabilize and make the first shot the one that counts - I always had the problem of trying to shoot fast but right when they flush they do some erratic directional changes and I think that causes a lot of misses.
Good to see you keep at it and work it! To make your shotgun work better, take some shots with a bow until you're frustrated to hell and then break out the gun, that will make you feel better :D Keep on rocking it!
"Out of all competitors, Radamus was the only one who got it I think" - BCKidd
"Ugh, I absolutely hate the thought that Radamus is right about this and I was wrong...!!!" Splainin2do
I can't afford a swear jar - xOEDragon
Spoiler:
gas56
Outfitter

Post by gas56 »

Radamus wrote:With pheasant I've found that instead of trying to get a quick shot off, actually waiting for the flight line to stabilize and make the first shot the one that counts - I always had the problem of trying to shoot fast but right when they flush they do some erratic directional changes and I think that causes a lot of misses.!
This is definitely a good tip waiting for the eratic flight to stabilize before shooting, I always do that also,
but I also prepare to get ready for that as fast as I can, especially if they flush when I didn't plan the set-up to flush them.... :lol:
baloo.the.dog
Hunter

Post by baloo.the.dog »

16 ga is equal in range as the others guns are, perfectly good range at 40 meter shots to the head.
Give us ptarmigans on Whiterime Ridge!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Roll Tide!!
SoftShoe
Outfitter

Post by SoftShoe »

baloo.the.dog wrote:16 ga is equal in range as the others guns are, perfectly good range at 40 meter shots to the head.
Once I figured out how to hit with it the 16ga has become my fav pheasant gun.

Return to “General Chat”