Tips for success with Sambhur hunting.

General chat about The Hunter. For suggestions, please use the "Suggestions"-room below.
kevin2106
Hunter

Re: Tips for success with Sambhur hunting.

Post by kevin2106 »

DanthemanBoone wrote:Lets not get into another "Tanky" discussion. Thats been covered well enough.
More about sharing hunting methods and observations about their behavior though.
However I am interested in results from the 9mm, I gave up on mine because it wobbles so much I couldnt guarantee the results I got were a true representation.
However now I have some towers in place I may go back and revisit it.
Just wanted to throw in a question to real life hunters :)

About the 9.3: Out of what i've seen from it, it's pretty much the same as the 7mm, you get either body shot or single lung, from a well placed shot of course. So i wouldn't recomend it, but i tried it right after release so might have been changed. I guess you will find out before me :)

DanthemanBoone
Outfitter

Post by DanthemanBoone »

Yes well, I believe that if you try something and it doesn't work .... it becomes an exercise in futility to keep doing the same thing.
I saw today thatTree Kiwi has gone on record in the last update to say, .. the Sambhur will be looked at and health levels adjusted.
I think it may be better to wait until that has been done before departing from a regime that is currently working well enough.
Old hunters never die.They just sit around the campfires and tell the biggest lies.
_dfad_
Scout

Re: RE: Re: Tips for success with Sambhur hunting.

Post by _dfad_ »

kevin2106 wrote:About the 9.3: Out of what i've seen from it, it's pretty much the same as the 7mm
I won't agree. From those I've tried, 9.3 and .340 drop a sambar immediately, and .45 from a muzzleloader does the same in most cases. But magnum 7 gives noticebly higher percent of body hits not touching vital organs.

"5 FPS at Picabeen Bay" club ;)
kevin2106
Hunter

Re: RE: Re: Tips for success with Sambhur hunting.

Post by kevin2106 »

_dfad_ wrote:
kevin2106 wrote:About the 9.3: Out of what i've seen from it, it's pretty much the same as the 7mm
I won't agree. From those I've tried, 9.3 and .340 drop a sambar immediately, and .45 from a muzzleloader does the same in most cases. But magnum 7 gives noticebly higher percent of body hits not touching vital organs.

I also wrote i tried it right after release. When the hitboxes were a total mess... and that i havn’t tried it after that time, it might have changed not gonna tell you you’re wrong.

But also the 340 is ilegal ;) so the 340 shouldn’t have a problem dropping them

HooCairs
Champion Hunter

Post by HooCairs »

Good summary of what I have seen.

What could be added is that tracking them down, especially the big scores, is among the hardest you can do in the EHR. Shooting geese with a bow is easier. You need to glass ahead a lost. Also the circle is on the HM is not correct for fast roaming animals, they are usually further away, which means you can speed up your pursuit a little to catch up, but again with a lot of glassing.

At the end of the day it seems less time consuming to just wait in the stand of a busy place such as the slightly raised land north of the swamp (where the tunnel goes underneath) and take them out from there, close ones with a bow and the rest with a rifle that can do two quick shots. The 30R is perfect for this.
My Youtube theHunter Wiki
Spoiler:
DanthemanBoone
Outfitter

Post by DanthemanBoone »

With the latest update the 45.70 and the 340 weatherby magnum are now permitted for Sambhur.

Both work well enough, using the 45.70 seems to result a few more single lung shots than the 30 R. Not as much penetration but more damage as it appears to stop them faster than the 30 R with both single lung and intestine shots.

The 340 is slightly better than the 30 R for both penetration and stopping power. Can kill a Stag on the spot with a gut shot at close to medium range. Single lung shots around 100m only run a few metres and can be seen lying on the ground dead about four or five blood tracks from where they were shot.
So that now gives 3 rifles that are able to take out a Sambhur stag without any major drama.

Im finding the gut shooting to be a bit of a schlepp. but almost every time I pull the trigger on a standing animal, the bloody things decide its time to start waking again.
Old hunters never die.They just sit around the campfires and tell the biggest lies.
D3AKUs
Hunter

Post by D3AKUs »

DanthemanBoone wrote:The 340 is slightly better than the 30 R for both penetration and stopping power.
Understatement much ? The 340 is ridiculous to use on them. Like it is for Elk and Red Deer. I just shot a 320 Sambar in the Butt at 183m and it got obliterated on the spot. U dont even have to aim with that weapon. It just destroys them.

Feels like cheating using it on them. Cant believe they gave in to all the whining and permitted that gun. It should be taken out from Elk and Reds also. Way too powerful ingame.

On top of that i feel even more robbed of my Albino now that i shot like 3 hours after release of PB. It was a total bug fest and i shot it out of frustration with the 340 when it wasnt permitted first.

If they go further now and even reduce their health pool its a damn sad clown fiesta and a poverty certificate for everyone involved in the salty cheese discusion that caused this mess.
DanthemanBoone
Outfitter

Post by DanthemanBoone »

Yes I agree. The 340 is more than needed, but I will continue using it for Sambhur now because it is permitted for Bangs and Buffs as well. My 340 is only on level 4 so it needs the work.
It means that by dropping the 30R I can carry the bullpup, the 340 and a 10 point as well. That way I cover all animals in PB.
This is just a game. I have no patience for continually tracking down pixels that run away.
As long as dead is legally dead, I dont really care exactly how they get to be that way.
Tanngnjostr
Master Hunter

Post by Tanngnjostr »

D3AKUs wrote:Understatement much ? The 340 is ridiculous to use on them. Like it is for Elk and Red Deer. I just shot a 320 Sambar in the Butt at 183m and it got obliterated on the spot. U dont even have to aim with that weapon. It just destroys them.
I absolutely agree with you. But: People want easy, people get easy! :(

And of course: the sambar and rusa scent sprays seem to be close to release. Soon enough the sambar is nothing but just another deer...
Image Image Image
Sherab86
Hunter

Post by Sherab86 »

Tanngnjostr wrote:
D3AKUs wrote:Understatement much ? The 340 is ridiculous to use on them. Like it is for Elk and Red Deer. I just shot a 320 Sambar in the Butt at 183m and it got obliterated on the spot. U dont even have to aim with that weapon. It just destroys them.
I absolutely agree with you. But: People want easy, people get easy! :(

And of course: the sambar and rusa scent sprays seem to be close to release. Soon enough the sambar is nothing but just another deer...

Hmmm... First some of you complain that there is no .45-70 allowed, now you complain .340 is allowed. :P And I tought I'm difficult customer. ;)

I'm personally happy with the change, even If I didn't saw such big need for it (I only said I don't like any upper limit for permitted ammo). But still, how powerful is .340 against a Sambar is debatable. There are still some hitboxes problems obviously. Yesterday I've shot one from about 26 meters, through shoulder blade, and even at such small distance it penetrated only to one lung. This was angled shot, but from such a distance I would expect maybe a liver and/or intestines in addition, nontheless.

I suppose I've got bad luck with hitboxes, and mostly they day now as easily as other deers, when shot with .340. But I will argue, that ammo permitted lists never were the problem, but hitboxes, giving this deer stainless steel armor, were and are.

And I'm definitely a fan of immersion, realism and challenge (in this order), so I'm not looking forward, when it comes to scent sprayes, with enthusiasm. But I'm not that much against it either. As you may know, I would only like to see "proper", reallistic penetrations, but (with will not happen) coupled with bigger life pools (or maybe rather lower specific hitboxes damage modifficators) for most animals, resulting in about 10-15 secound blood track even after double lung shot.

But for sure I don't want Sambar to be (much) more easy to find and track. Well, maybe there should be some simpliffications, to allow stalking them besides their insane roaming speed. But aside of this (and their "armor"), I like them, like they are now. This about AI... Antlers - that's a different story. ;)

Return to “General Chat”