Tips for success with Sambhur hunting.

General chat about The Hunter. For suggestions, please use the "Suggestions"-room below.
DanthemanBoone
Outfitter

Re: Tips for success with Sambhur hunting.

Post by DanthemanBoone »

I have no problem with the weapon permissions because.
1. We have an animal represented here that like the R.L. original presents a challenge by being tough to kill.
2. None of the permitted weapons in game perform against it as well as they do in real life. If they did there would have been no uproar in the first place.
3. There are no R.L. upper limits imposed regarding how big a gun you can use on most animals. ( Sherab86 calls it correctly in that regard.)

As far as difficulty hunting them I also like them as they are.They might appear difficult after the milk sops we have in the rest of the game, but they are even more difficult in real life.
Whether or not scents or callers will make them easier will depend on if the members choose to use them.
And that is entirely the choice of each individual.
Old hunters never die.They just sit around the campfires and tell the biggest lies.
D3AKUs
Hunter

Post by D3AKUs »

Sherab86 wrote:
Tanngnjostr wrote:
D3AKUs wrote:Understatement much ? The 340 is ridiculous to use on them. Like it is for Elk and Red Deer. I just shot a 320 Sambar in the Butt at 183m and it got obliterated on the spot. U dont even have to aim with that weapon. It just destroys them.
I absolutely agree with you. But: People want easy, people get easy! :(

And of course: the sambar and rusa scent sprays seem to be close to release. Soon enough the sambar is nothing but just another deer...

Hmmm... First some of you complain that there is no .45-70 allowed, now you complain .340 is allowed. :P And I tought I'm difficult customer. ;)

I'm personally happy with the change, even If I didn't saw such big need for it (I only said I don't like any upper limit for permitted ammo). But still, how powerful is .340 against a Sambar is debatable. There are still some hitboxes problems obviously. Yesterday I've shot one from about 26 meters, through shoulder blade, and even at such small distance it penetrated only to one lung. This was angled shot, but from such a distance I would expect maybe a liver and/or intestines in addition, nontheless.

I suppose I've got bad luck with hitboxes, and mostly they day now as easily as other deers, when shot with .340. But I will argue, that ammo permitted lists never were the problem, but hitboxes, giving this deer stainless steel armor, were and are.

And I'm definitely a fan of immersion, realism and challenge (in this order), so I'm not looking forward, when it comes to scent sprayes, with enthusiasm. But I'm not that much against it either. As you may know, I would only like to see "proper", reallistic penetrations, but (with will not happen) coupled with bigger life pools (or maybe rather lower specific hitboxes damage modifficators) for most animals, resulting in about 10-15 secound blood track even after double lung shot.

But for sure I don't want Sambar to be (much) more easy to find and track. Well, maybe there should be some simpliffications, to allow stalking them besides their insane roaming speed. But aside of this (and their "armor"), I like them, like they are now. This about AI... Antlers - that's a different story. ;)
Theres a insanely huge gap in between the performance of the 45-70 and the 340. First one still needs proper shotplacement and isnt really good for long range which will be needed most of the times with sambar when u stalk cause the big ones see u from a mile away if u arent lucky. It also lacks penetration but makes up with some power and nasty bleeding.

The 340 on the other hand just annihilates every single animal it is permitted for up to render range with literally no exception or drop off over distance. I cant imagine if they ever implement an even bigger gun. And NO its power against Sambar is not debatable. If u still cant manage to drop them like trash now or still arent satisfied i am just not going to say anymore on this matter , sorry.

I am not free of guilt. I had my initial gripes after the first release , mostly around 7mm performance and some bugs i encountered and was at first too saying we may need bigger guns like the 45-70. But after finding suitable weapons and ways it all seemed fine and i came to the point were i literally wouldnt see a need of change. Cause Sambar seemed like a awesome fun challenge and i never commented on that matter afterwards or thought a change like THIS is needed.

But at that point all the complaining and discusions here kept going on and there was no end in sight. I also remember u taking part in all the discusions with walls of text. So did a few others. And so they probably gave in at the end. Sadly. Cant wait to see the next challenging Animal being implemented and then watered down after a few weeks.

Btw Better nerf Irelia !! ( cookie to everyone that gets this one )
WolfLQ
Tracker

Post by WolfLQ »

They are still really difficult. They flee easily and they roam very quickly. .340 is common to use for Sambar hunting IRL and theHunter is supposed to be a realistic game. I actually didn't mind hunting them with a .300 but I'd rather see realism as opposed to keeping things hard just for fun...
(Not a newbie! Back after a few years hiatus.)
Sherab86
Hunter

Post by Sherab86 »

D3AKUs wrote:
Sherab86 wrote:
Tanngnjostr wrote: I absolutely agree with you. But: People want easy, people get easy! :(

And of course: the sambar and rusa scent sprays seem to be close to release. Soon enough the sambar is nothing but just another deer...

Hmmm... First some of you complain that there is no .45-70 allowed, now you complain .340 is allowed. :P And I tought I'm difficult customer. ;)

I'm personally happy with the change, even If I didn't saw such big need for it (I only said I don't like any upper limit for permitted ammo). But still, how powerful is .340 against a Sambar is debatable. There are still some hitboxes problems obviously. Yesterday I've shot one from about 26 meters, through shoulder blade, and even at such small distance it penetrated only to one lung. This was angled shot, but from such a distance I would expect maybe a liver and/or intestines in addition, nontheless.

I suppose I've got bad luck with hitboxes, and mostly they day now as easily as other deers, when shot with .340. But I will argue, that ammo permitted lists never were the problem, but hitboxes, giving this deer stainless steel armor, were and are.

And I'm definitely a fan of immersion, realism and challenge (in this order), so I'm not looking forward, when it comes to scent sprayes, with enthusiasm. But I'm not that much against it either. As you may know, I would only like to see "proper", reallistic penetrations, but (with will not happen) coupled with bigger life pools (or maybe rather lower specific hitboxes damage modifficators) for most animals, resulting in about 10-15 secound blood track even after double lung shot.

But for sure I don't want Sambar to be (much) more easy to find and track. Well, maybe there should be some simpliffications, to allow stalking them besides their insane roaming speed. But aside of this (and their "armor"), I like them, like they are now. This about AI... Antlers - that's a different story. ;)
Theres a insanely huge gap in between the performance of the 45-70 and the 340. First one still needs proper shotplacement and isnt really good for long range which will be needed most of the times with sambar when u stalk cause the big ones see u from a mile away if u arent lucky. It also lacks penetration but makes up with some power and nasty bleeding.

The 340 on the other hand just annihilates every single animal it is permitted for up to render range with literally no exception or drop off over distance. I cant imagine if they ever implement an even bigger gun. And NO its power against Sambar is not debatable. If u still cant manage to drop them like trash now or still arent satisfied i am just not going to say anymore on this matter , sorry.

I am not free of guilt. I had my initial gripes after the first release , mostly around 7mm performance and some bugs i encountered and was at first too saying we may need bigger guns like the 45-70. But after finding suitable weapons and ways it all seemed fine and i came to the point were i literally wouldnt see a need of change. Cause Sambar seemed like a awesome fun challenge and i never commented on that matter afterwards or thought a change like THIS is needed.

But at that point all the complaining and discusions here kept going on and there was no end in sight. I also remember u taking part in all the discusions with walls of text. So did a few others. And so they probably gave in at the end. Sadly. Cant wait to see the next challenging Animal being implemented and then watered down after a few weeks.

Btw Better nerf Irelia !! ( cookie to everyone that gets this one )
Why so nervous? Or maybe this is only my impression. As I wrote, I was reffering more to hitboxes/"armor" problem, than to weapon itself. And I wrote also, that I might had a bad luck with some glitch, or whatsoever with this speciffic deer. I've shot few more since, but while most of them droped in racks, not all still. In discussions I was never complaining Sambar being to hard to hunt. I was only complaining on how tanky it is. Yesterday I saw video on youtube, where a guy was taking them down (IRL) from distances even above 1 km. I don't know what rifle/ammo he was using - I assume some magnum cartridge, maybe even of .338 caliber. Weapons performance is highly dumped in the game, I assume because of render distance and/or maps's "topography". But still, I would expect very high penetration capabilities from .340 Weatherby. This is probably most powerful cartridge in the game. In discusssions concernig .45-70 I was supporting the idea because I don't like any upper limits for permitted ammunition - but I was writing also about the fact, that while being quite "damaging", it has low penetration capabilities, so may not help that much with Sambar's "tanky-ness".

So I'm not sattisfied with the fact, that Sambar is still much more tough than it should be. Not only compared to RL (because for gameplay purposes, so called balance, I can accept some "un-realism" here to some point), but compared to other in-game animals too. If with my Stambecco I can double-lung an elk, through most of redner distance, I don't see a reason I should not achieve the same result with smaller Sambar. But I assume devs are still working on this subject.

And for me, this has nothing to do with dropping animal on spot, or not. I'm writing solely about penetration. I do separate it from "damage". When it comes to damage part, I think ALL animals in the game dies to easy, actually. In my opinion, shot placement should be important, but not so much because of penetration capabilities (at least within render distance), but because bad placed shot (body shot for example, but in some ammo/animal combos, also some less vital organs) should provide much less damage - to the point of badly wounding animal, but never killing it (in-game), or forcing us to very, very long blood-tracking, even if it finaly has droped.

Return to “General Chat”