Tips for success with Sambhur hunting.

General chat about The Hunter. For suggestions, please use the "Suggestions"-room below.
DanthemanBoone
Outfitter

Tips for success with Sambhur hunting.

Post by DanthemanBoone »

Its been a little over three weeks since these animals were released in the evergreen forest.
There have been a number of threads commenting on the difficulties surrounding the lack of success with taking them out.
I have been hunting them specifically because the terrain and environment and the degree of difficulty has been the closest yet to real life that E.W has managed to represent for any species and have arrived at a place where I feel a collective of successful methods from all of us would help those still struggling to come to terms with them.

Here are my thoughts.

1. The best weapon that gives the most consistent results is the 30 R double Rifle. Double lung instant kills are possible out to 180 m. Sometimes further.
The crossbows are excellent for closer silent kills which minimise animal disturbance.

2. The area most are found is on top of the central Western section and along the south, Western and Eastern cliff faces, isolated by the swamp in the south and bounded by curve of the river.
They are continually on the move, much like Reindeer, along the top , down to the swamp and back up to the tops, they tend to use the gullies and ridges between the swamp and the top as
access routes.

3. There are many Clear areas ideally suited for Deployable towers, which will afford clear shooting alleys and steady shots out to render. I have 3 sites which consistently return animals every
hunt. Also tree stands on smaller clear areas wich give good coverage between the towers. Careful stalking between each site will also return good results.

4. Females tend to travel about in loose herds while males tend to be solitary, but pairs of males are also common. Check for a companion as he may be bigger.

5. Because they seldom stand still for very long, three to five seconds being about average, many shots taken at the lungs while they are stationary, end up being intestines, as they invariably
step off just as you pull the trigger.
Bugger.
However both crossbow and 30 R will kill them with misplaced intestine shots after medium tracking distances.
Most times with a bad shot they will go down and get back up and run.
Be ready, if you have the double rifle, to whack them again as they stand up.

6,Finally, if you want large numbers of Sambhur, don't use a rifle on any other species while hunting in Sambhur country.

Other helpful tips and comments would be appreciated.
Old hunters never die.They just sit around the campfires and tell the biggest lies.
BucksNBuffalo
Master Hunter

Re: Tips for success with Sambhur hunting.

Post by BucksNBuffalo »

I got one. Hunt Rusa instead. You’ll see loads of Sambar ;)

:lol:

I’m just kidding, Dan. When have you known me NOT to be a smart a**? ;)
I feel Dan is right about the .30R O/U being the best for them. I have consistent results as well. I do feel that they really could use a tweak tho, as they seem to not stop very often at all which in turn makes tracking or stalking a real issue. I just got done with a hunt with my friend Moon, with both of us taking decent Sambar bucks (stags? Help me here, Dan), here being a 292 and mine being a 299. Both of us are very experienced in this game and the way tracking works, but we had real difficulties tracking our deer, to the point of frustration. I know that maybe IRL, and actually more than likely, that this would be accurate. However I really think in the game the roaming speed needs toned down a little bit.
What I haven’t come across yet is the issue I see people writing about and that they are too “tank-y”. In my experiences with them, they react just like any animal in the game, you hit it good, it dies. Sure, I’ve mostly taken them with crossbow, bow, or .30R so I cannot really comment on that, but I hope there are more calibers that work just as well for em.
DanthemanBoone
Outfitter

Post by DanthemanBoone »

Tracking... yeah.
Either you can or you cant.
If you cant.....
Get a dog.
My turn to be a S.A.

Seriously, watch out for fish hooking once they finish fleeing and go back to roaming.
Many I have tracked have turned back and been coming toward me, then spooked off at a severe angle to the last tracks, and of course spooked tracks are much further apart .. and finding the next one after a direction change can be a mission.
Ignore any savage direction changes while fleeing unless they turn to avoid a cliff face or river. Look for the next track along the established flee line.

Ive taken more Rusa than Sambhur while hunting Sambhur. But because you can call Rusa I usually bring them right in and poke them with a sharp stick, unless its a big buck. then I use the rifle.

Stags and Hinds. ( English )
Bucks and Does .( U.S. English )
Harts and Hind. (Old English)

Take your pick.
But don't use it to harvest anything in the E.H.R.
Doc will not be amused.
Old hunters never die.They just sit around the campfires and tell the biggest lies.
Radamus
Master Hunter

Post by Radamus »

I get a kick out of the animations on the sambar when you shoot them with something other than the 30R - I hit one at 50m right on the leg in the chest, even had heart/lung blood - he hit the ground like knocked over and then jumps up in the air and runs off - He made the mistake of running a consistent zig zag until he missed a zag oops! :D
"Out of all competitors, Radamus was the only one who got it I think" - BCKidd
"Ugh, I absolutely hate the thought that Radamus is right about this and I was wrong...!!!" Splainin2do
I can't afford a swear jar - xOEDragon
Spoiler:
_dfad_
Scout

Post by _dfad_ »

Both Rusa and Sambar can be often met near the northern railroad bridge, on the western bank of the river mostly. It's a lot of them there typically, so a tent in that area is a must-have.
I don't have .30R, but 9.3x62 works well, while 7mm can't reach lungs of sambar too often.

"5 FPS at Picabeen Bay" club ;)
Gaffi

Post by Gaffi »

_dfad_ wrote:Both Rusa and Sambar can be often met near the northern railroad bridge, on the western bank of the river mostly. It's a lot of them there typically, so a tent in that area is a must-have.
I don't have .30R, but 9.3x62 works well, while 7mm can't reach lungs of sambar too often.
I don't have .30R either. I saw only a few Videos on YouTube and it is ridiculously overpowered, like all new Rifles in the past.
Samba and Reindeer are in the same category and i can penetrate both lungs at Reindeer with 7mm, from a distance of 210m !
Sherab86
Hunter

Post by Sherab86 »

Stags can be found also together with hinds in herds, however this is probably less common than solitary ones or male-pairs. I once met a herd with two stags in it.

And when it comes to "tanky-ness", as I wrote in many others threads, from my standpoint, this is not about do we can take them down, or not. With good shot placement, it will die even with single-lung shot. Only "dissadvantage" of this is the fact we have to blood-track the animal. And I actually like this, because I think we should blood-track also other animals even after double-lung shot. For me problem is penetration by itself - not only being unreallistic, but also unbalanced against other species in the game. When we still score at least one-lung shot, this is of lesser problem - animal will die anyway. But with enough of distance, or with less favorable shot angle, this starts to be problematic, because carrefully aimed, well placed shots ends as body shots, against any reason and expectations (compared to other, often larger deers, like elks or mooses).
kevin2106
Hunter

Post by kevin2106 »

I don't t hunt them much because of the antlers not being realistic, but i've seen tons of them (Just don't bother shooting) while Rusa hunting.

Unlike you guys i find HERDS of males sometimes, i've seen herds of 2-4 males walking with a bunch of females. I'm also pretty sure it isn't random as they all head in the same direction and stick together all the time.

They are very tanky yes, but will 500 KG stag normaly drop in its tracks IRL? i'm not a real life Sambar hunter so just wondering about that, any answers are always appreciated :)

Sherab86
Hunter

Post by Sherab86 »

kevin2106 wrote:I don't t hunt them much because of the antlers not being realistic, but i've seen tons of them (Just don't bother shooting) while Rusa hunting.

Unlike you guys i find HERDS of males sometimes, i've seen herds of 2-4 males walking with a bunch of females. I'm also pretty sure it isn't random as they all head in the same direction and stick together all the time.

They are very tanky yes, but will 500 KG stag normaly drop in its tracks IRL? i'm not a real life Sambar hunter so just wondering about that, any answers are always appreciated :)
So, yes, I saw them in herds too, however usualy I saw only one stag, and only ones two stags in the herd, so far.

And as I wrote above, for me personally, problem with Sambars being "tanky" is not about dropping them in tracks, but about penetration.
DanthemanBoone
Outfitter

Post by DanthemanBoone »

Lets not get into another "Tanky" discussion. Thats been covered well enough.
More about sharing hunting methods and observations about their behavior though.
However I am interested in results from the 9mm, I gave up on mine because it wobbles so much I couldnt guarantee the results I got were a true representation.
However now I have some towers in place I may go back and revisit it.

Return to “General Chat”