Trying to start waterfowl hunting

General chat about The Hunter. For suggestions, please use the "Suggestions"-room below.
Skooma19

Trying to start waterfowl hunting

Post by Skooma19 »

As the title says. I’m looking mostly at goose hunting. What items should I buy to best set myself up for success. Any tips are welcomed as well! Thanks for your time!
chewik
Outfitter

Re: Trying to start waterfowl hunting

Post by chewik »

waterfowl blind, SR and LR callers and decoys. best effect has full spread (24 decoys), but also half spread gives good results. and of course, shotgun :D
Swampfox
Outfitter

Post by Swampfox »

Hello Skooma19 and welcome to the Hunter & The Forum.
The Canada Goose hunting is great at Hirschfelden and there are many videos produced by HooCairs & RonMcTube as well as other members that will help you get started on some classic hunting.
Also be sure and check out the Hunter Wiki (link is located on the Main Menu page under the Help tab), it's a great place to start. http://thehunter.wikia.com/wiki/Waterfowling :D
Spoiler:
DYEUZ
Trophy Hunter

Post by DYEUZ »

Not to long ago, while on sale , i added 2 flapping wings Goose decoys . I am very satisfied with the result and i have 24 decoys only.

BCKidd's 2019 COMMUNITY COMPS SERIES CHAMPIONSHIP
FIRST PLACE
MASTER HUNTER TROPHY

Gewehrwolf
Tracker

Post by Gewehrwolf »

Hey there,

I would also recommend a Retriever dog. It's very usefull collecting the birds.

Place the blind about 50m away from your decoys. Call 'em in with the long range caller, wait until they circle the decoys and then let them fly straight in using a short range caller. You can shoot some while flying in, and then while they are trying to escape. I prefer using the 10 Gauge for this, but 12 Pump Action does the trick, too.

But I have to admit that ducks are way more fun than geese.

Greetings,
Wehrwolf.
μολών λαβέ
Violator31
Outfitter

Post by Violator31 »

Personally, I never use the short range caller. I don't know if it's because of the way my decoys are or what, but I just don't need it. When they break from the flock they eventually fly right over the blind.
Signature Stats
Spoiler:
VonStratos
Outfitter

Post by VonStratos »

In the store there are some good bundles for gooses, a half spread at 1020ems and full spread around 1500ems, for starters half spread should do it but the full spread have a better relation in price/quality, that and a waterfowl blind, the callers and you should have the basic shotgun and probably the 12 GA Pump Action Shotgun that come with some memberships, the dog can be nice but if you consider all waterfowl requires a significant inversion in ems. Another way may be do waterfowl in a multiplayer with someone that have already set the equipment and accept new players in their hunts, check the multiplayer area in the forum, maybe you can find a hunting partner.

ImageImage
"Turkeys...the only animal smarter than man."
Gewehrwolf
Tracker

Post by Gewehrwolf »

VonStratos wrote:for starters half spread should do it
You're probably right, but I'd get the full spread anyway. Sooner or later, you'll want the full spread. And if you bought the half one before and buy another half, you'll lose like 500 em$.

But I absolutely agree that one will want to keep the costs low at the beginning. Since waterfowling probably is the most expensive hobby in the game and when you need to get everything from the start it's a lot to spend. But it's worth the money, had plenty of hours fun in exchange.

But in my personal opinion, ducks are more rewarding. Maybe you should check out both in multiplayer games like @VonStratos said before making an investment.

Cheers,
Wehrwolf.

Edit : I'm not sure about camo clothing. Does it play any role when in the blind?
μολών λαβέ
Fletchette
Trophy Hunter

Post by Fletchette »

Gewehrwolf wrote: Edit : I'm not sure about camo clothing. Does it play any role when in the blind?
No....When you are in a waterfowl blind you are effectively invisible to flying waterfowl. Once they land they will often spook when they walk or swim within 5-10 meters of the blind.
Personal Bests...
pirahna590
Hunter

Post by pirahna590 »

The cost involved with getting into waterfowl hunting WAS something that had kept me from trying it out ... I say WAS because I made the mistake of giving it a try and now I know I need to buy more decoys then what Im currently using lol. Dont get me wrong, my decoy spread does draw some in, but in comparison to what I seen full spreads do ... I definitely need/want more decoys lol. About 3,000 EM$ worth lol

Return to “General Chat”