Trying to start waterfowl hunting

General chat about The Hunter. For suggestions, please use the "Suggestions"-room below.
stancomputerhunter
Trophy Hunter

Re: Trying to start waterfowl hunting

Post by stancomputerhunter »

You might want to use this handy dandy calculator to see what the effective attraction of your # of decoys is. This applies to ducks only.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... edit#gid=0
Last edited by stancomputerhunter on January 13th, 2018, 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Image Rares: 86 NTs: 29
fantamichele
Outfitter

Post by fantamichele »

For duck hunting: DO NOT buy mallard decoy. I have a set without mallard decoy and about 40% of the catches are mallard.
SoftShoe
Outfitter

Post by SoftShoe »

Hi Skooma,

I recently gave goose hunting a whirl as well. I bought a blind, half spread of decoys, the callers & a flag. They come in pretty well for me & I enjoy it greatly. Now if I could only figure out how to shoot a shotgun well LOL

I would be happy to hook up with you & let you share my blind & spread MP.

D3AKUs
Hunter

Post by D3AKUs »

Hey if u or anyone else wants to try out either goose or duck hunting i would be glad to host one of my setups , have big ones for both, especially ducks. U can test it this way and have a look by yourself and make a plan on what to buy.
I could host my maps this sunday/today evening around 22:30 cest when i get home from work or monday or tuesday when i am free , depending on what timezone u are in i am sure we can find a time if u want to have a look.
VonStratos
Outfitter

Post by VonStratos »

Btw the Field Lodge in Logger's Point reserve have a shooting range for shotguns with Clay Shooting, good to practice, and other good way to improve the skill with a shotgun in air targets is to hunt the evil birds aka Pheasants, they are easy to find, but if you shoot and miss they will laugh at you with no remorse... damm they are evil.

ImageImage
"Turkeys...the only animal smarter than man."
GoldenEagle1
Scout

Post by GoldenEagle1 »

For geese u need 24 decoy or 4 spinning decoy to get 100 % attraction
For duck you need 24 decoy mallard or 4 spinning decoy that give you 100% attaction on mallard and 50% attaction on gadwall ,pintail, american black duck.
and if you want 100 % attaction on all species you need to add 24 decoy for mallard +12 gadwall+12pintail +12 american or 2 spinning decoy of every sort , so that 24+12+12+12 so u have full atttaction on evrything.

any one notice that pintails are hard to break even at 100% attaction ? the flock go like 2-3 round over you to start break some ,
SoftShoe
Outfitter

Post by SoftShoe »

Best0hunter wrote:For geese u need 24 decoy or 4 spinning decoy to get 100 % attraction
So thats a either or? 4 spinning decoys only & I am at full attraction? What impact if any does the goose flag call have?

@ D3AKU: appreciate the invite but 2230 is a bit late for on week nights. I get up at 0500 for work. Fri/Sat evening it would work though. Friend me in game & would love to hook up with you.

Tanngnjostr
Master Hunter

Post by Tanngnjostr »

SoftShoe wrote:So thats a either or? 4 spinning decoys only & I am at full attraction? What impact if any does the goose flag call have?
Each spinning decoy is the same as 6 "regular"/stationary decoys. So with 4 spinning decoys you'll have maximum attraction, it's the same as 24 stationary decoys (or 2 spinners and 12 regulars - you get the point).

The goose flag lure has the exact same effect as the long range caller. But if you're playing in a MP game and both types of lures are used at the same time, the attraction is a little bit higher compared to if both players used the same one. If you're playing alone, using both types of lures (the flag and the LR caller) after each other on the same flock does not have that effect afaik.
Image Image Image
HD_Artworks
Outfitter

Post by HD_Artworks »

Best0hunter wrote: For duck you need 24 decoy mallard or 4 spinning decoy that give you 100% attaction on mallard and 50% attaction on gadwall ,pintail, american black duck.
and if you want 100 % attaction on all species you need to add 24 decoy for mallard +12 gadwall+12pintail +12 american or 2 spinning decoy of every sort , so that 24+12+12+12 so u have full atttaction on evrything.
This is exactly what I did and I got 100% attraction.
I bought 24 Mallard decoys and 12 other duck decoys, and I check the attraction with stan's link, I got 100% attraction on all duck species. In my hunts, ducks will break from almost all flocks!
Season Stats
Spoiler:
stancomputerhunter
Trophy Hunter

Post by stancomputerhunter »

It's kind of frustrating...this is not the only time it has happened on this forum. Someone comes on here and asks for advice; community members provide a wealth of knowledge and experience for the OP, and he/she is never heard from. Perhaps a small thank you would be in order?

Image Rares: 86 NTs: 29

Return to “General Chat”