Crazy buffaloes

General chat about The Hunter. For suggestions, please use the "Suggestions"-room below.
Radamus
Master Hunter

Re: Crazy buffaloes

Post by Radamus »

The WB and the Bans have HUGE lung area making them fairly simple broadside - those quartering to/away shots are always low percentage no matter the animal imo. The only trick to them is approaching and positioning for an appropriate shot without being killed by them.
RE- original video, I would have to rack that up to shot selection but I do agree with that WT on the first cow, that's a ridiculous amount of time. That blind sided stampede going up the hill, why the hell didn't the dog point on him give a clue it was so close? .... that could use some work imo~ The dog should have known that WB was so close. I rarely use my tracking dog (it's been months and months ago) but I remember it barking at animals really close before or am I wrong about that?
"Out of all competitors, Radamus was the only one who got it I think" - BCKidd
"Ugh, I absolutely hate the thought that Radamus is right about this and I was wrong...!!!" Splainin2do
I can't afford a swear jar - xOEDragon
Spoiler:
crwilson12

Post by crwilson12 »

They are pretty tough but I shot a monster moose once 11 times with the 10guage slugs before it died tracked it for over an hour real time most shots were broadside also. So I was hitting him almost every 5 min for 1 hour and it was actually my last slug I had left that killed him as I had only brought 20 and used the other 9 on some other moose
Sherab86
Hunter

Post by Sherab86 »

crwilson12 wrote:They are pretty tough but I shot a monster moose once 11 times with the 10guage slugs before it died tracked it for over an hour real time most shots were broadside also. So I was hitting him almost every 5 min for 1 hour and it was actually my last slug I had left that killed him as I had only brought 20 and used the other 9 on some other moose
Wow...

How far have you been from the moose?

I haven't try to hunt them with slugs, if I recall correctly. But my impressions from hunting Wild Boars are like that slugs (12ga) are somewhat dumped if it comes to "damage" part. Even if I was scorring double-lung shots, piggies were fleeing for couple of meters, in opposition to 7mm RM chambered Stambecco I've bought later. And I thought, assuming same penetration, slugs should do bigger hole, than rifle projectiles. But it seems not to be the case in game. :P Maybe with 10ga is similar.
gas56
Outfitter

Post by gas56 »

The .454 Handgun can take anywhere from 4-5 shots to put down a bufflalo, even getting good shots on them.
The 1st couple of shots are the factor to putting them down with the .454 in the chest area as once they start to flee the rear end isn't the best place to keep putting bullets.
I always try to hit them even if they turn a little broadside when they flee and 2 more well placed shots on the side will usually put them down, with my best results being a total of 4 bullets to kill them.
But this depends if trees don't get in the way........ :lol:
And somebody mentioned the Ten Point Crossbow,.. and I agree with that, it seems to work wonders on putting them down with a good chest shot.
Also the .340 Weatherby, my #1 choice to use, then the 45-70 government.
Radamus
Master Hunter

Post by Radamus »

OK, I have a good one, how about crazy pigs on Peekaboo? ... So I'm in a TS, get a male hog call - So I call him and put some scent down a few meters out - He was way out and took a while coming in - So I see him and he's coming sort of towards me kind of quartering in about 120 meters out - He walks up the side of a hill, I glassed him at 125m - I hit the caller again and he answered - I'm watching him, and all of sudden he turns to look at me and starts running wide open on the nitrous! He makes a beeline straight to me gets to within 10m and slows to a walk and stops to squeal again! .... So an arrow to his pea sized brain and Enter Sandman :lol: .. craziest thing I've ever seen with a pig before.
"Out of all competitors, Radamus was the only one who got it I think" - BCKidd
"Ugh, I absolutely hate the thought that Radamus is right about this and I was wrong...!!!" Splainin2do
I can't afford a swear jar - xOEDragon
Spoiler:

Return to “General Chat”