Disappearing animals after going outside render range

General chat about The Hunter. For suggestions, please use the "Suggestions"-room below.
Columbo
Tracker

Disappearing animals after going outside render range

Post by Columbo »

I haven't been going away from killed animals until a couple of times this week. I was wondering is it common that dead animals change their position when I have been outside the render range? I' ve lost one wolf and found two animals (a wolf and a rme) about 150-200 meters away from the place they were killed, after I came back from a distance. It has been a pain to search those animals that are not where they should. It's totally fine if they are a couple of meters away from the kill spot, but talking about hundreds of meters isn't too nice.

Funny thing with the elk was that I found roaming tracks from the place I left the dead body. Tracked the "ghost" up the hill and found him dead, wound time 0.0 seconds and harvest value 100%... I shot him in deep water at the first place, and couldn't harvest him and tried the render range trick. That sure worked as the body was up the hill in the middle of a meadow :D Found the wolf by accident, searching around the beaches of a lake i shot him.

So is it just me, or anyone else having this kind of troubles?
HD_Artworks
Outfitter

Re: Disappearing animals after going outside render range

Post by HD_Artworks »

Columbo wrote:I was wondering is it common that dead animals change their position when I have been outside the render range?
Yep!
It happened for me too. I shot a Wolf and dropped on the spot(in the river), then I go to find the mule deer I shot before. I harvest the Mule deer then I came back for the wolf, but it wasn't there! I searched a lot and finally I find it 100m away from the dropped spot on the ground!
Season Stats
Spoiler:
Andhii
Scout

Post by Andhii »

I once had a similar issue, a friend had shot an animal for my mission and I had to walk about 800m to harvest it, only to find that the animal wasn't there. My friend could see it but I couldn't.

I find the bugged animals a bigger issue. Sometimes you shoot an animal and you cannot harvest it. Sometimes the animal flees a bit and you find it laying down, still alive, but you cannot kill it. In sitsuations like these your best bet is to run outside the render range and come back and hope the status of the animal has corrected itself. This is also how people recover Alpine Ibex that has died on a high mountain, run 250m away and come back, you usually see the animal tumbling down the mountain.
https://www.thehunter.com/#profile/andhii
"Never argue with an idiot...they drag you to their level and beat you with experience."
Levado
Scout

Post by Levado »

Columbo wrote:I haven't been going away from killed animals until a couple of times this week. I was wondering is it common that dead animals change their position when I have been outside the render range? I' ve lost one wolf and found two animals (a wolf and a rme) about 150-200 meters away from the place they were killed
I have killed close to 50,000 animals and none ever dropped 150-200 meters away from the original spot. If an animal wasn't in the spot that I marked, it was always caused by the animal rolling/falling to a different spot after being dropped. If the animal didn't roll/fall, it was always caused by not properly marking the spot, which can be glitchy depending on the terrain and objects between player and target. When I'm in doubt I always verify the location on the map.
Hunter Score 71k+ ● Playing Since 2009 ● Favorite Species: all deer
DYEUZ
Trophy Hunter

Post by DYEUZ »

Its not suppose to happen and certainly not common, but it does. Been reported many times in the past and i have it happen to me also , but not often . So its an issue that we had , some of us , for couple months now , in certain specific situations . The Devs , to my knowledge know about this . People seem to forget that the staff is limited now, for the Holidays and not to expect anything about this to be done soon .

Just try to harvest / collect all your animals when you can .

BCKidd's 2019 COMMUNITY COMPS SERIES CHAMPIONSHIP
FIRST PLACE
MASTER HUNTER TROPHY

Columbo
Tracker

Post by Columbo »

Thanks for replies. Have to be more careful in the future then, at least with trophy sized animals. Did this whole thing just out of interest, as I had trouble with one wolf a couple of hunts ago and tried if it would happen again, which it truely did...
Levado wrote:I have killed close to 50,000 animals and none ever dropped 150-200 meters away from the original spot. If an animal wasn't in the spot that I marked, it was always caused by the animal rolling/falling to a different spot after being dropped. If the animal didn't roll/fall, it was always caused by not properly marking the spot, which can be glitchy depending on the terrain and objects between player and target. When I'm in doubt I always verify the location on the map.
At the latest incident with the wolf, I marked the kill spot with a marker flag to be sure that I find the exact place when coming back. I actually killed an other one while moving away from the first one. Marked that one also and went after some more wolves. When I came back, the first kill was lost, the other was pretty close to its flag. I don't think it was the terrain shapes nor objects that made the wolf go to the place from where I found it. And the terrain shapes (downhills etc.) really don't explain the elk thing as it had moved uphill leaving roaming tracks. Too bad I didn't record the elk case, and wolf case only when leaving from and returning to flags as well as finding the lost wolf.

Return to “General Chat”