New rifle? 9.3x74 O/U Kipplaufbüchse

General chat about The Hunter. For suggestions, please use the "Suggestions"-room below.
TaunusSeppel

Re: New rifle? 9.3x74 O/U Kipplaufbüchse

Post by TaunusSeppel »

and it even makes no sense.
since the 74r and x 62 are balistical identical.

So they should make the 9.3x62 legal for Water buffalo.
it is vertainly capble of taking em.
Tod1d
Lead Moderator
Lead Moderator

Post by Tod1d »

TaunusSeppel wrote:and it even makes no sense.
since the 74r and x 62 are balistical identical.

So they should make the 9.3x62 legal for Water buffalo.
it is vertainly capble of taking em.
In-game, they are not identical.

If we do TomRF5's moose test (Performance Chart), I get these values:
M = Meters
O = Tom's old value for 9.3x62
x62, x74 = Current Values
4 = Shoulder Blade, both lungs
3 = Shoulder Blade, one lung

Code: Select all

M   O  x62 x74
10  4   4   4
20  3   4   4
30  3   4   4
40  3   4   4
60  3   3   4
80  3   3   4
They no longer publish any load data with their ammo, so we can only assume that the x74R is loaded hotter than the x62.
Which makes it logical that the x74R COULD be permitted for larger species than the x62
It's "Tod", with one bloody 'd'!
TaunusSeppel

Post by TaunusSeppel »

possible, but wouldnt make any sense.

they were developed as twins,
although the rimmed 74r was designed and used with break Actions, has 500 bar less operating preasure than the x62.
but doe to lager case volume they create the same muzzle energy and balistics.

it is technical wrong, no matter how ever they try to sell it to us.
Gewehrwolf
Tracker

Post by Gewehrwolf »

Hi,
Tod1d wrote: In-game, they are not identical.
I really wonder where these numbers are coming from, since the rifle isn't even in the game yet. No offense, I'm just curious.
TaunusSeppel wrote:possible, but wouldnt make any sense.
they were developed as twins,
although the rimmed 74r was designed and used with break Actions, has 500 bar less operating preasure than the x62.
but doe to lager case volume they create the same muzzle energy and balistics.

it is technical wrong, no matter how ever they try to sell it to us.
They weren't developed as twins, they just got the same caliber which is very popular in Europe and Africa. They 9.3x62 was developed to fit into a slightly modified Mauser carabine, so it could be used on African game without conflict to military caliber bans. The 9.3x74R was developed from an old black powder cartridge. Technically, they aren't even relatives.

You're right about the pressure, this has to do with the design of cartridge. IRL, the 9.3x62 offers slightly more muzzle velocity than the 9.3x74R.

Anyway, this is a game and not 100% realistic, especially when it comes to balancing of weapons. Don't get me wrong, I've elaborated in several threads that I would like to have the 9.3x62 to have the same permissions like the rimmed one.
But when they design a new rifle, I can understand that they also overhaul it's performance. And it will probably balanced by the game we are to take with it(like Bison, Water Buffalo,..), and not by the performace of a caliber that has been in the game for ages. The Anschütz 9.3 Rifle has been there for very long and was released at a time when there were no bisons, buffalo or other large, dangerous game. As far as I know, biggest thing was Moose, which in Scandinavia IRL is often taken with 6.5x55. Langer Rede kurzer Sinn, I can imagine that the new rifle will perform a little better.

Cheers,
Wehrwolf.
μολών λαβέ
Tod1d
Lead Moderator
Lead Moderator

Post by Tod1d »

Gewehrwolf wrote:Hi,
Tod1d wrote: In-game, they are not identical.
I really wonder where these numbers are coming from, since the rifle isn't even in the game yet. No offense, I'm just curious.
It's in the game (https://www.thehunter.com/#store/item/834), it's just "Not Buyable" yet. ;)
It's "Tod", with one bloody 'd'!
gas56
Outfitter

Post by gas56 »

The 9.3 x 62 and the 9.3 74R are very comparable if loads are comparable also for hunting as most people will attend to this.
Lets get something straight about bullet knowledge of the 9.3 x 62 and the 93. x 74R cartridges.
So far everybody acknowledges that the x 9.3 x 62 cartridge is used in bolt action rifles that are rimless,
and the 9.3 x 74R cartridges is used in single shots, and doubles.
Now there may be speculations about the 9.3 x 62 being faster with the slightly smaller gr bullets that are loaded max up,
But that's where it ends with the 9.3 x 74R that factory loads are not max up and therefor produces the slower bigger gr bullets.
On the other hand when custom loads can be max up for the 9.3 x 74R hotter powder loads, we will now see a more tremendous impact above what the 9.3 x 62 can produce at its performance in the game.
The 9.3 x 74R shell has more room for powder then the 9.3 x 62 and when you have more you get more speed simply put for non-gunners understanding of how it works.
There's really no argument if you understand the differences of bullet loads.
The game box show a 225 gr bullet on the 64 which is pretty much not adequate for Buffalo, and the 74R is standard with a 286 gr bullet.
Now granted bullet weights can be reduced to produce even more speed on both bullets, but simply put, you wouldn't really want to reduce bullet size weight(length) to hunt Water Buffalo.
I want that heavier bullet to do as much damage as it can possibly produce with the powder load that it can handle for the capable rifle that is used with it.
I wouldn't want shrapnel blowing up in my face from an incapable rifle/gun,...
but really we don't have to worry about that in this game,.. so enjoy what we can have and play along with there allowable guns without all the details and everything will turn
out peachy keen in the scheme of things.
Everyone have a great 2018 year, and we've just begun!

Here's a good read on the 74R :D
http://www.chuckhawks.com/hornady_9-3x74R.htm

compare the bullet loads yourself which are pretty comparable... ;)
Last edited by gas56 on January 5th, 2018, 3:05 pm, edited 8 times in total.
JamboWhoDat
Hunter

Post by JamboWhoDat »

Gewehrwolf wrote:Hi,
They weren't developed as twins, they just got the same caliber which is very popular in Europe and Africa. They 9.3x62 was developed to fit into a slightly modified Mauser carabine, so it could be used on African game without conflict to military caliber bans. The 9.3x74R was developed from an old black powder cartridge. Technically, they aren't even relatives.

You're right about the pressure, this has to do with the design of cartridge. IRL, the 9.3x62 offers slightly more muzzle velocity than the 9.3x74R.

Anyway, this is a game and not 100% realistic, especially when it comes to balancing of weapons. Don't get me wrong, I've elaborated in several threads that I would like to have the 9.3x62 to have the same permissions like the rimmed one.
But when they design a new rifle, I can understand that they also overhaul it's performance. And it will probably balanced by the game we are to take with it(like Bison, Water Buffalo,..), and not by the performace of a caliber that has been in the game for ages. The Anschütz 9.3 Rifle has been there for very long and was released at a time when there were no bisons, buffalo or other large, dangerous game. As far as I know, biggest thing was Moose, which in Scandinavia IRL is often taken with 6.5x55. Langer Rede kurzer Sinn, I can imagine that the new rifle will perform a little better.

Cheers,
Wehrwolf.
The 9.3x62 in the game is a custom load designed for hunting medium to large game as you can see below from the specs on the store graphic. You are correct that there are larger and faster loads for the 9.3x62; however, the load we have in game, the mass and velocity of the bullet is significantly under powered for use against large-extra large game. Also, I am not sure about the Asian water buffalo, but for hunting African water buffalo, many countries' regulations require a minimum 9.3x64 round.

Gewehrwolf
Tracker

Post by Gewehrwolf »

Hey,

Thanks for your replies and explanations.
Tod1d wrote:It's in the game (https://www.thehunter.com/#store/item/834), it's just "Not Buyable" yet. ;)
I get that. So the information comes from some kind of data mining, not from in-game testing?
gas56 wrote:On the other hand when custom loads can be max up for the 9.3 x 74R hotter powder loads, we will now see a more tremendous impact above what the 9.3 x 62 can produce at its peak performance.
The 9.3 x 74R shell has more room for powder then the 9.3 x 62 and when you have more you get more speed simply put for non-gunners understanding of how it works.
You're absolutely right here. I forgot, or didn't calculate, that the cartridges ingame are supposed to be custom handloads. Same mistake I made in the other thread.
As you say, when handloaded to maximize energy, the longer cartridge will perform a little better:
9.3x62 9.3x74R (Source: Nosler)

Greetings,
Wehrwolf
μολών λαβέ
gas56
Outfitter

Post by gas56 »

Gewehrwolf wrote:Hey,

Thanks for your replies and explanations.
Tod1d wrote:It's in the game (https://www.thehunter.com/#store/item/834), it's just "Not Buyable" yet. ;)
I get that. So the information comes from some kind of data mining, not from in-game testing?
gas56 wrote:On the other hand when custom loads can be max up for the 9.3 x 74R hotter powder loads, we will now see a more tremendous impact above what the 9.3 x 62 can produce at its peak performance.
You're absolutely right here. I forgot, or didn't calculate, that the cartridges ingame are supposed to be custom handloads. Same mistake I made in the other thread.
As you say, when handloaded to maximize energy, the longer cartridge will perform a little better:
9.3x62 9.3x74R (Source: Nosler)

Greetings,
Wehrwolf
You've got to remember though there is a big difference in the game and that is where I compare the loads, as the 9.3 x 62 is only using a 225 gr bullet
which is not adequate for buffalo, but shove a 286 gr bullet in it and you've got quite a killer.
Gewehrwolf
Tracker

Post by Gewehrwolf »

Hi,
gas56 wrote:You've got to remember though there is a big difference in the game and that is where I compare the loads, as the 9.3 x 62 is only using a 225 gr bullet
which is not adequate for buffalo, but shove a 286 gr bullet in it and you've got quite a killer.
Absolutely. But ingame, this 225gr. bullet is travelling at an insane 3,260 fps, which is almost 140% of the recommended velocity of all rl 9.3mm bullets I know. Especially a Partition bullet (as it says on the box) wouldn't do any penetration at all. If wasn't destroyed firing, it would immediately deform and fragment when hitting solid tissue, like rib bone. Immediately releasing it's energy, but especially with tough animals like bulls or older boars, might not even hurt a vital organ.

You'd need the hell of a monolith bullet to gain any advantage from that kind of velocity. Btw, I wonder what they use as propellant. We already been comparing the maximum loads and possible velocities of both cartridges. The values ingame are far away from real anyway.

Greetings,
Wehrwolf.
μολών λαβέ

Return to “General Chat”