Polar and Grizzly Bear changed without notice

General chat about The Hunter. For suggestions, please use the "Suggestions"-room below.
Bumblewoot
Tracker

Re: Polar and Grizzly Bear changed without notice

Post by Bumblewoot »

DYEUZ wrote:
Bumblewoot wrote:Was there ever any official word on this change?
Well, if you take time to read previous posts , you'll find an answer to your Q . :?
Must have missed it. I took the time to go through each page. Not enough time I suppose. This stuff happens with my tired brain.

EDIT: ok took the time to read through the previous five posts. Must be my brain. I don't see an official response. Moderator responses yes, but no answer as to why the change or if it is correct. Some seem to think bug? Others think it was from a patch quite a while back.

Poor tired brain just can't see the official response.
DYEUZ
Trophy Hunter

Post by DYEUZ »

:arrow: Bumblewoot ... If you are looking for a reply , on this thread , of a Dev at EW , saying : Yes , this is true , the bears ( Polar and Grizzly ) have changed because of this and because of that .
You wont find any reply of this genre .

What is official ,is that there was a change in their behavior , and many members of the community saw / experienced it . Some even proposed an answer , a theory to why it could have changed .
When you see Mods and big name members approving some sort of changes , i consider it pretty much official . Its verified anyway .

;)

BCKidd's 2019 COMMUNITY COMPS SERIES CHAMPIONSHIP
FIRST PLACE
MASTER HUNTER TROPHY

Bumblewoot
Tracker

Post by Bumblewoot »

I would think that an official statement on the grizzly bear and polar bear changes would be very important. Without confirmation that the changes were intentional, I would incline to believe this is a bug like some in this thread do.

If it is a bug I would hope it gets corrected, or it is intentional, that is fine I am just sad because I enjoyed the aggressive AI of the Bears.
xOEDragonx

Post by xOEDragonx »

I'm not aware of any official statement, but here is a quote from the game update December 20th thread.
Alena Rybik wrote:
Prinz1989 wrote:
Alena Rybik wrote:Your comments to the game update from the 20th December 2017 - last one for this year. Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays all!
Since the update makes no mention of them.
Many players reported a different behaviour for Grizzlies and Polar bears.
There was some confusion if this refers to the changes they recieved in September but many players (including myself) are sure that the described fleeing behaviour happened with the Pickabean Bay release.
See this threat: http://forum.thehunter.com/viewtopic.php?f=91&t=85295

Could someone on the team please check if the two bears are working as intended?
Yeah, we discussed this with the team, but we are at a loss here, since we haven't introduced any changed to bears' behaviour at the Piccabeen Bay release, the last one, like you said, was in September. Martin will investigate this further.
If nothing else, the game producer informally acknowledged that there was no intentional change made to bear aggressiveness and they'll look into it. I don't expect them to rush to it though, I imagine they'll be sorting event prizes and dealing with the noise on WWR when they return from their holiday vacation, among other things.
akforeverlost
Tracker

Post by akforeverlost »

In a way, I am disappointed. I like hunting something, like polar bears, that can come out of nowhere and eat you. But the other side, they are much more challenging to hunt. I wish we could have it both ways....
Bumblewoot
Tracker

Post by Bumblewoot »

Thanks xOEdragonx for the quotes. From that it does appear to be unintentional. That gives me hope that the changes may be reversed in the future.
Leventthyen
Spotter

Post by Leventthyen »

I promised myself I would never try to track another grizzly. Its a real waste of time. I took a long shot at a trophy grizzly with a minor inflicted wound and ended up tracking him more than half way through Timbergold for two hours yesterday. Lost it a few times. Ran after it a few times. Tried leading it to open ground but unfortunately impaired by late day vision as well and finally the game forced me to stop hunting and return to the lodge.
CapnQuint
Tracker

Post by CapnQuint »

Without any notice the AI for grizzly bears and polar bears was changed recently to be far more skittish. In the past, these two bears have been very hard to spook and would almost always stand their ground when you spooked them. They used to be very hostile and intimidating, but that is what made them so fun to hunt. Now they rarely attack and flee at any sign of human activity. I have had a situation when I over 100 meters away from a grizzly while just standing trying to spot it and it fled the moment I stood up. This update has, for me at least, made grizzly bears and polar bears far less interesting, far more difficult, and far less fun to hunt. I know some people didn't like being attacked by grizzly bears all the time, (if you take that out of context it sounds really obvious) but it made timbergold a very intense reserve and the constant threat of a grizzly i felt made an awesome atmosphere. It also made using certain weapons like the 454 revolver fun and rewarding.

I don't know why this change was made; I don't know if it's more realistic or if people complained about bears being too hostile and I can see why those arguments would be made. However, I think the game was more fun and exiting before this change.

Thank you for reading, I'll always love this game and it's community, and hopefully we can at least get a little feed back about this subject. :D
CapnQuint
Tracker

Post by CapnQuint »

CapnQuint wrote:Without any notice the AI for grizzly bears and polar bears was changed recently to be far more skittish. In the past, these two bears have been very hard to spook and would almost always stand their ground when you spooked them. They used to be very hostile and intimidating, but that is what made them so fun to hunt. Now they rarely attack and flee at any sign of human activity. I have had a situation when I over 100 meters away from a grizzly while just standing trying to spot it and it fled the moment I stood up. This update has, for me at least, made grizzly bears and polar bears far less interesting, far more difficult, and far less fun to hunt. I know some people didn't like being attacked by grizzly bears all the time, (if you take that out of context it sounds really obvious) but it made timbergold a very intense reserve and the constant threat of a grizzly i felt made an awesome atmosphere. It also made using certain weapons like the 454 revolver fun and rewarding.

I don't know why this change was made; I don't know if it's more realistic or if people complained about bears being too hostile and I can see why those arguments would be made. However, I think the game was more fun and exiting before this change.

Thank you for reading, I'll always love this game and it's community, and hopefully we can at least get a little feed back about this subject. :D
I submitted this as a new topic, why did it get posted as a reply to another topic?
caledonianblues
Master Hunter

Post by caledonianblues »

CapnQuint wrote:I submitted this as a new topic, why did it get posted as a reply to another topic?
I can only speculate since it wasn't me that merged your post, but I guess because there's no point in having another topic to discuss the same issue.

Return to “General Chat”