45.70 for Sambhur

General chat about The Hunter. For suggestions, please use the "Suggestions"-room below.
james990
Outfitter

Sambar Deer Permitted Weapons, Weight and Strength

Post by james990 »

I've mentioned in a couple of threads now that the Sambar are way to strong in game and should be able to be shot with the 45-70 as they are in real life. Now the permitted ammo is in the wiki and I did some research to find they have the same permitted weapons as reindeer.

I don't know what the devs were thinking when they did this as it states on the wiki the heaviest a bull reindeer weighs is 182kg. The current top of the leaderboard scoring sambar stag weighs 510kg!!!!

Now 510kg is unrealistic they don't get that heavy, the biggest stags should around that of over 300kg.

Not only are they larger then reindeer but also hogs and red deer which are permitted to be shot with the 45-70.

The Sambar should have the same permitted ammo as the Elk and Black Bears.

Down here the minimum calibre for sambar is .270 and 130 grains. I'm not to sure about the 6.5x55 very uncommon down here and foreign to me but I pretty sure the 270 packs a bigger bunch than the 30-30!

This is a crucial error and shows either a lack of research a tired dev on a friday night putting together some last minute features. This needs to be fixed. Might be a good idea to send in this years free hunting Manuel the game council supplies!

Share your thoughts please guys.
DanthemanBoone
Outfitter

Re: Sambar Deer Permitted Weapons, Weight and Strength

Post by DanthemanBoone »

Agreed.
Old hunters never die.They just sit around the campfires and tell the biggest lies.
Sherab86
Hunter

Post by Sherab86 »

Well, some of you already know, that while purely theorethician so far, I'm firearms freak to some point - at least when it comes to technical/scientific part. And while I love this game for simulating somewhat reallistically not only external, but also terminal ballistics, I've found out that devs quite often make some strange choices. ;)

I believe that sales factor has biggest influance on permitted ammo lists, and some real world regulations are of secondary meaning. It almost feel that some choices are made more on basis "yeah, yeah, I think that this will be enough powerfull caliber, yeah... this one to strong.. no.." ;P

I also have impression, especially with Sambar realise, that devs are slightly wandering off the path of realism, for the benefit of some gameplay goals. It feels for me, that they simply decided, that PB is intended as challenging map, and Sambar as most challenging game in the game. So they made it quite skittish, fast roaming, sparsely calling, "no-callers", and finaly, tough as a tank. ;) Dosn't matter is it as tough as buffalos, or maybe even more. ;) Dosn't matter that even bigger and more heavy Elks are way easier to kill. It is meant to be top-challenge, so it is. :P And to add to the challenge, let's make reindeer's permitted ammo also permitted to it. ;)

As I wrote in other of threads, I have nothing against .45-70. However, taking into consideration how skittish Sambar is now, I'm not sure do .45-70 would have enough of penetration in most instances - I think it is designed to be quite "damaging", but not so "penetrating", and this somewhow refflect the reality, I suppose. And problem with Sambar is not it's health pool - if penetrated to the lung, it will drop probably from any permitted ammo. Problem is that it must be wearing armor under it's fur. ;) so IRL regulations or not, I would rather vote for .340 Weatherby more. ;)

But in the first place, I would rather prefer if it would be bring-down to somewhat reallistic level.
WolfLQ
Tracker

Post by WolfLQ »

I would be thrilled if the .340 were allowed for them. It'd go in the devs' favor anyway since it's a store weapon.
(Not a newbie! Back after a few years hiatus.)
RidgeBack69
Outfitter

Post by RidgeBack69 »

A quick look on Wikipedia show this
"In general, they attain a height of 102 to 160 cm (40 to 63 in) at the shoulder and may weigh as much as 546 kg (1,204 lb), though more typically 100 to 350 kg (220 to 770 lb)."

As for the 45-70 I won't say if i am for it or against it but i will say that from a stand point of trying to sell weapons in game I think it would not be very smart of EW to add it to the list of allowable calibers.
In-game Sambar are not hard to kill by any means and the only problem players is being able to drop them on the spot.
Spoiler:
D3AKUs
Hunter

Post by D3AKUs »

Yeah okay. So how many topics do we need for this ? Making up one more with the same statements wont make it happen faster.

They are tanky yes , everyone gets it now. But if u put in work they are still totally managable with not too much effort. Hit detection might be off a lil sometimes , which 100% will be fixed and the rest just needs u to adapt your playstyle.

XBows destroy them , getting close is easy , finding them and findig a good one is a challenge. Bow hunting them ? I havent tryed. Shooting them ? Experiment with weapons. There seem to be some good options to deal with and blow them away. I have mentioned several times now that the .300 puts them easily in the dirt , 30R seems to be totally fine too , the Mosin also.

There wont be any changes up until january when the next major patch happens. No need to make more threads on this topic in my oppinion, everyone knows it by now and i am sure the devs have already read more then enough about all our problems with Sambar Deer in the existing topics.
Sherab86
Hunter

Post by Sherab86 »

RidgeBack69 wrote:In-game Sambar are not hard to kill by any means and the only problem players is being able to drop them on the spot.
One may look at this from such perspective. Many do, probably. But this is not my problem. As I stated many times, I'm perfectly fine with the fact I have to blood-track animal. I like it, because it feels immersive and reallistic.

What I don't like, and what I criticise, is that I don't achieve penetration I should with given ammo vs. given animal, at given distance. This I feel unimmersive, and unreallistic. I'm complaining only about this (well, mostly). If I recall correctly, as so far I have 100% effectiveness against those few Sambars with I've shot with my Stambecco. So yes, they are no doubt killable, even with "less reccomended weapons", so to speak. ;) But that's not the point. While I would still think it is unreallistic, I would feel somehow better if other animals would be functioning according to same standards. So, if for some reason I have to get below ridiculous 40 m (just rough estimation) to achieve double-lung shot with Sambar, this should be even more the case for Elk and Moose - and it is not.

But, as I wrote earlier, I would rather prefer to change Sambar to be more reallistic. If devs want make him to run, even after good shot (with I see as positive feature), they should rather give him bigger "life pool", and not steel plates under a fur. ;) But again, if so, then other animals should be treated accordingly.
D3AKUs wrote:Yeah okay. So how many topics do we need for this ? Making up one more with the same statements wont make it happen faster.
True that so many threads on one topic are rather unneccesery. But why not to speak about subject and share our thought about it? I don't see nothing wrong with this. ;)
D3AKUs
Hunter

Post by D3AKUs »

Sherab86 wrote:
D3AKUs wrote:Yeah okay. So how many topics do we need for this ? Making up one more with the same statements wont make it happen faster.
True that so many threads on one topic are rather unneccesery. But why not to speak about subject and share our thought about it? I don't see nothing wrong with this. ;)
Ofc there is nothing wrong about it - i just thought we all already had some really good chats and conversations on this matter going in the other topics :D
If it came over rude it wasnt my intention ! :)
james990
Outfitter

Re: 45.70 for Sambhur

Post by james990 »

It is probably more realistic that they do not drop on the spot however, it is inconsistent, every other species in the ehr drops so why not sambar? Regardless the 45-70 is used in real life by real hunters for them, i spoken to a couple of hunters who do down here. The .340 is totally legal as well and some people even use a .338 on them too.

Ew's decision to not allow 45-70 doesn't make sense for the reasons stated above it is the equivalent of having the .300 allowed for reindeer but not elk!
Schlachtwolf
Hunter

Re: 45.70 for Sambhur

Post by Schlachtwolf »

I have used the .30R on the Sambar and find it works quite well, even if they run it won't be far !!!
My opinion may not be right, but it is the one I like most :D

Return to “General Chat”