Why I might give up on this game.

General chat about The Hunter. For suggestions, please use the "Suggestions"-room below.
Prinz1989
Hunter

Re: Why I might give up on this game.

Post by Prinz1989 »

A well spoken response David.

Tanks for all the other replies as well.
I guess I'll try and focus a little bit more on simply enjoying the game and not so much towards reaching goal x.
I know it's superficial and the point of every game is to play and enjoy it not to complete it. Still a goal works often as extra motivation.

I still don't find the tracking system compelling though. ;)
gas56
Outfitter

Post by gas56 »

Prinz1989 wrote: I always supported this game and invested several hundred Euro in it and it was well worth it. I just recently bought another 12month of membership as well as 5000ems
But the recent trends make it really difficult for me to enjoy the game.
As far as Aesthetics go it's at an all time high, but luck play an ever larger role and makes the game play boring and annoying.
Maybe i should just come up with another rule like hunting another reserve each day the loadouts (A great addition) support this. But then I would hit the 1000kill cap for many animals fairly soon making it literally pointless to hunt them anymore...
I just don't get it?
Why tell us.
If you're having doubts about why you play the game and spend money that you don't know why you just did.
That is something you have to figure out what motivates yourself in doing so.
If you're looking for being re-ensured from other players opinions why you should play the game it is only likely a false decision making on your part if it is not the way you really feel about it.
Only you know what you want to get out of something.
You either want to do it because you like to, or you don't.
Have a good 1....................GAS
stancomputerhunter
Trophy Hunter

Post by stancomputerhunter »

JimboCrow wrote:
Knut wrote:All the measures, tasks and fulfillment EW offers you in form of measurements and metrics are shorthand goals and/or true Sisyphusian despair mechanisms.
See, this is why you were bullied in school. ;)
Exactly. :)

Image Rares: 86 NTs: 29
MudBug
Outfitter

Post by MudBug »

InvisibleFlame9 wrote:Interesting discussion!

Besides what's I've expressed about many times about my feelings about this game which makes me incredibly angry (the payment business model) and why I could never recommend this game to anyone and feel good about it. I'd feel sleazy to recommend this game to someone. I don't even feel good about the game myself. This game is a 'liability' to me and unsustainable for me. It just costs me more money the longer I play it and I never feel like I really own anything I pay for. I resent that deeply. This isn't Netflix and I don't aprove of netflix. It's NOT normal to me. My personal 'values' are what is 'normal' to me. There are a lot of 'sleazy' things these days that people have been conditioned to regard as 'normal'. And the business model of this game troubles me just as it did the first time I saw this game many years ago and how I feel 'after purchasing' and getting into the game is more a confirmation of what turned me 'off' about the game in the first place. It's not the 'game' is the problem. It's the payment model. It's a liability. Before I ever get a chance to decide if this will be 'fun' for me over the long term....I would have spent hundreds of dollars and felt cheated, overwhelming buyers remorse, or at best...bitter equity?

Ok, my fuming about the scummy and unethical business model aside, I do have some things to say about the 'game' itself. . .
The model you pine for, i.e. one price to own everything in game, was tried by the original developers. This game went into alpha/beta testing in 2008. The game went live in the spring of 2009. By the end of 2011, it was dead. The original developers could not bring in enough revenue to further game development. In stepped EW and had they not done so, none of us would be having this conversation today. Here we are about to go into the 10th year of the game's existence. As has been said 1,000,000 times, you can play the game with just a membership. Sure, you wouldn't be able to hunt every species, but the game is playable. Those micro-transactions, which you and others seem to loathe, have been the backbone for the continuation of this game's development and are exactly why this game continues to progress with new animals, gear, and reserves still 10 years later.

I have been here since 2008 as a beta tester. I'm member #48 of those who purchased the game when it first came out. I have never let membership lapse in all that time. I have spent close to or a little over $2000 USD over that time. It has provided me countless hours of relaxation and fun. I play the game with my daughter and son who also have had many memberships over the years and their own equipment that I've paid for. It has given us a lot of memories and provided "bonding time" that I'll always cherish. I absolutely cannot list any other games that can do that for me and my family.

To the OP:
As my history states above, I've been here since the beginning. My HS is in the 19,000's. Should it be higher? Maybe. Could it be higher? Definitely. Do I care? NO!

I play it as I feel. Some days I do go chase achievements, others I go in for competitions. Most of the time I just play and whatever happens, happens. The bottom line is that I enjoy it no matter which way I decide to play at the time.

Having said all this, I do not play the game every day. There are indeed times when something else catches my attention and I'll take a month or two off to play something else. I usually play a lot less when it is time for hunting season in real life. I always come back and personally I derive some comfort knowing that this game is here and waiting for me whenever I want to play.
Novalc

Post by Novalc »

For this game, I do not have too much trouble finding goals. Currently I launched a tour of the maps with the obligation to take at least 1 of each species. Or else I do a theme hunt, such as a hunt with Classic Rifles or .50 Cap Lock Muzzleloader (very funny). The most important is that when I play I do not put too much stress, there are other games to take the lead. I play to relax, and it's the game where I have the most time in all.
fjernen

Post by fjernen »

Violator31 wrote:
fjernen wrote:I would like to see EW open up their hunting kills database to third party apps. Let some one else code kill maps, best animals etc. If they don't want to do it some one in the community sure does.
Is this what you mean?....
http://www.uhcapps.co.uk/stats.php?username=fjernen

Yes that is a great example. We need more of that.
Radamus
Master Hunter

Post by Radamus »

fjernen wrote:
Violator31 wrote:
fjernen wrote:I would like to see EW open up their hunting kills database to third party apps. Let some one else code kill maps, best animals etc. If they don't want to do it some one in the community sure does.
Is this what you mean?....
http://www.uhcapps.co.uk/stats.php?username=fjernen

Yes that is a great example. We need more of that.
Several years ago someone wrote a program that you went through and DL each of your hunt stats and it would create a heat map of where you killed what on a reserve will some cool options of queries- but what we ended up learning from it was - you kill animals where ever you go the most - ironic isn't it? :lol: But David's UHC stat site, that's a completely different animal that gives us all our historical data back to our first hunt in most cases.
"Out of all competitors, Radamus was the only one who got it I think" - BCKidd
"Ugh, I absolutely hate the thought that Radamus is right about this and I was wrong...!!!" Splainin2do
I can't afford a swear jar - xOEDragon
Spoiler:

Return to “General Chat”