Lures/callers for other Piccabean animals

General chat about The Hunter. For suggestions, please use the "Suggestions"-room below.
Violator31
Outfitter

Re: Lures/callers for other Piccabean animals

Post by Violator31 »

I love it that the majority of the replies support the lack of callers.
I have always been one to avoid emails from Doc. I hate it when I lose an animal. I have 3 of them now in the last 2 days, mostly because it was too late to continue looking for something I may never see again) :lol: This is why I made a suggestion, last night, to get the "lost" harvests added to the hunt stats.
Those emails have been Sambar related. In the dense vegetation it's cool that there is at least one animal that spooks easily. I have seen them way out in front of me & I tried to get hidden & prepped for a good shot, but they spotted me & bolted....lesson learned (sort of)...slow down & scan deeper & more thoroughly. Adjust to your quarry. ;)
If they ever do implement a caller for the Sambar I hope it would have a restricted range due to the dense vegetation (same as the Rusa call should be).
Signature Stats
Spoiler:
Prinz1989
Hunter

Post by Prinz1989 »

TreeKiwi wrote:
If you would like to come out one time with me mate I can show you how to hunt them if you like? Its the same with Dall sheep and BH. Once you work them out they are pretty easy!

Cheers

TK
Well i might have spoken too soon about the Bantengs maybe it was just a strain of bad luck. Just had a hunt were things went much smoother.
But i'm curious about the Sambar. With Big Horn Sheep you can use the sound they make while walking which is audible up to about 100m and with Dall Sheep you can use more open mountain areas on WRR were you will have a free view of more than 100m. Both aproaches won't work for the Sambar as far as I can tell.
I'm not completly new to the game before the Pickabeen Bay Release I was happy to have at least 250 kills on every species in the game difficult or not.
Sherab86
Hunter

Post by Sherab86 »

DarkLord wrote:IMO, if no caller exists for an animal in real life then EW should not fabricate one and put it in game. I looked and could not find any audible caller for Sambar other than prerecorded sounds for electronic callers. So the thing you are requesting probably does not exist.

However, If a real life caller does exist, I see no reason for EW to not put it in game. It comes down to personal choice. If some players really enjoy hunting super spooky animals on foot with no callers, then they should choose not to use it. Just like some players choose or even refuse to hunt pigs/bears from bait stations. Its a personal choice. I disagree with the position that these things should not be in the game simply because you don't want to use them.
This is fair enough, and I have to agree.
Levado
Scout

Post by Levado »

Prinz1989 wrote:Coyotes are a challange: Difficult for newbies but fairly easy for experienced players.
I remember the days when we had to hunt them without silent bows, treestands, callers and decoys, I wouldn't call them challenging right now.
Hunter Score 71k+ ● Playing Since 2009 ● Favorite Species: all deer
Knut
Outfitter

Post by Knut »

DarkLord wrote: If some players really enjoy hunting super spooky animals on foot with no callers, then they should choose not to use it.
That's not how the human psychology generally works.
It is enjoyable to hunt the sambar in such a difficult way, because no other, easier way exist. To make it difficult on purpose and decide to not use aides is -despite being worthwhile at times- not offering the same feel.

With the same argument of "no one needs to use it" you could introduce infrared cameras or dogs that chase and bind game animals to a spot. Both exist in real as well. Yet the addition would ruin the game for most. Although everyone could decide not to use them.

But that's evolutionary necessity in our behaviour: if there's an easier way to do something, we will generally use it. Even when it's less joyful in the end.
“Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'" ― Isaac Asimov
Sherab86
Hunter

Post by Sherab86 »

Yes, Knut, you are right, and I was thinking similar way at the begining. But there's a catch. While maybe this do not feel the same way if you have to restrict yourself, you can still do it. But if there is no caller, and someone like to hunt in this particular way... Well, he/she is grounded. :P And this is why I've agreed after all with DarkLord. Of course we can assume, that this specific species are designed to be challenging and so on, but should they be restricted to only one hunting style? I suppose they could have good chance to ignore a call, to compensate, for example.

Still, DarkLord mentioned that callers should be aviable only if they have IRL equivalent. And there is not for Sambar. I don't know if there are some bites for buffalos and Bantengs in use IRL.
D3AKUs
Hunter

Post by D3AKUs »

Knut wrote:But that's evolutionary necessity in our behaviour: if there's an easier way to do something, we will generally use it. Even when it's less joyful in the end.
Ahhh, look at him. Now he comes with min max argument himself. Hahaha perfect. I needed that before i go to bed. Its true tho :P

Night everyone
mikeman1
Scout

Post by mikeman1 »

Sherab86 wrote:
DarkLord wrote:IMO, if no caller exists for an animal in real life then EW should not fabricate one and put it in game. I looked and could not find any audible caller for Sambar other than prerecorded sounds for electronic callers. So the thing you are requesting probably does not exist.

However, If a real life caller does exist, I see no reason for EW to not put it in game. It comes down to personal choice. If some players really enjoy hunting super spooky animals on foot with no callers, then they should choose not to use it. Just like some players choose or even refuse to hunt pigs/bears from bait stations. Its a personal choice. I disagree with the position that these things should not be in the game simply because you don't want to use them.

What he said. For the purists out there, every species can be hunted with no aids whatsoever. Heck, you can even turn off the tracking domes if you want a real challenge! Fill yer boots! Sometimes I like to still-hunt (stalk) too, particularly on WRR because of the good visibility, but I usually like to bow hunt from a well placed stand. That's my favorite way to hunt IRL too. I can't see any reason to limit my enjoyment of the game because a few people think attractants should not be allowed. We are all paying customers, and for EW to favor one style over another is not cool, especially when the solution is so easy, i.e. simply don't use the attractants if you don't want to. Unfortunately the only viable option I have for this reserve is to still-hunt, which I don't really enjoy all that much. Kinda sucks if you stop and think about it.
Code: Select all

mikeman1
Scout

Post by mikeman1 »

D3AKUs wrote:
Knut wrote:But that's evolutionary necessity in our behaviour: if there's an easier way to do something, we will generally use it. Even when it's less joyful in the end.

Wow dude, you gotta muster some self control! LOL
Code: Select all

TreeKiwi
Community Manager
Community Manager

Post by TreeKiwi »

Na Knuts correct. If everyone else can get something easier, there is not the same feeling of accomplishment. If you are all on the same page and you all know how hard it is. It's much more satisfying to bag one. If everyone is bagging them because they are now easy. It doesn't really matter how you did it. Nobody is going to care if you tricked it into drinking some poisonous tea. So then you go ah well... everyone else is doing it the easy way and the results the same. Adapt and don't see the Sambar as hard. They really aren't.

Return to “General Chat”