9.3x62 Used on Dev Stream for Buffalo, But Not Allowed for Us?

General chat about The Hunter. For suggestions, please use the "Suggestions"-room below.
Pine

9.3x62 Used on Dev Stream for Buffalo, But Not Allowed for Us?

Post by Pine »

From the dev stream a few days ago - https://clips.twitch.tv/HeartlessResolu ... oritosChip if you click "Watch Full Video" you'll see that they harvested it just fine.

So far loving the new reserve, but unfortunately the two buffalo I've shot with the 9.3 got stuck in deep water and I could not harvest them. I couldn't see if they were disqualified or not, but Doc sent me very angry messages saying I could only use arrows, .340, .45-70, .454, & .50. on water buffalo when clearly the devs used the 9.3 just fine.

The 9.3 definitely has the firepower to knock down a buffalo, and a quick google search shows many people use the 9.3 for Buffalo.

Anyone know why they decided the change it?
RidgeBack69
Outfitter

Re: 9.3x62 Used on Dev Stream for Buffalo, But Not Allowed for Us?

Post by RidgeBack69 »

More likely than not the new unreleased 9.3x74R O/U Break Action Rifle will be Ok for buffalo. It is a sales/balance thing.
Spoiler:
Pine

Post by Pine »

Ah yeah, unfortunately you're probably right. Recently bought the 9.3x62 and absolutely love it. Just surprised a cannon like the 9.3x62 isn't permitted for buffalo when the devs have used it themselves lol.
MooseHunter330
Outfitter

Post by MooseHunter330 »

And the 9,3x74R is a complete twin of the 62. Just for break barrels.
Spends all the gold and money to buy new weapons in the shape of guns.
supercelldrw
Hunter

Post by supercelldrw »

Cuz they used a beta server but still not fair
Spoiler:
JamboWhoDat
Hunter

Why the 9.3x62 is not allowed for water bufflo

Post by JamboWhoDat »

I was curious as to why the 9.3x62 was not on the premitted ammo list for water buffalo in the game, so I did some research. The 9.3x62 is really not recommended for water buffalo and some country's regulations actually do not allow it. The bullet in the game is 225 gr at 3260 fps, which is not large enough nor fast enough to transfer enough energy to kill a water buffalo and prevent it from becoming danger to a hunting party. The water buffalo is classifed as a large thick skin dangerous animal with regulations stating a minimum 9.3x64 calibur 286 gr with a minimum 3500 fps, 4000 fps recommended.
Sherab86
Hunter

Re: Why the 9.3x62 is not allowed for water bufflo

Post by Sherab86 »

Interesting findings. I suppose this makes sense, however regulations may largely differ, and in virtual world of EW it seems that not always they fallow reality. ;) But to give IRL example, I wanted to repeat your research, and first what I've found were some cape buffalos (so different species, I know, but I guess tough enough) shot by 9.3x62 - however with heavier projectile than one in game.

You wrote that bullet in the game is not "large enough". I assume you reffering to mass mostly. Because in diameter it is of course larger than lets say .340 Wheatherby Magnum, with is allowed in-game for water buffalo. ;) But I can agree on mass + velocity combo (=energy) as we have in game may make this cartridge insufficient for such a big game.

But...
JamboWhoDat wrote:...to transfer enough energy to kill a water buffalo...
No, really? This again? :P
I hope this is only mental shortcut, because I've started two or three disccusions about the subject, and I know you hate me for this, guys. :D So I don't want to start another. But I do leave some links here. ;)
http://www.frfrogspad.com/terminal.htm (because there are mentioned all those "schools of thinking"),
https://ronspomeroutdoors.com/blog/fact ... 0-win-mag/ (mostly for the discussion bellow the article),
http://aegisacademy.com/terminal-ballistics-part-i/

Now you can start tossing me with tomatoes, or whatever. ;)
Knut
Outfitter

Post by Knut »

It is certainly true that most PHs would send you straight home if you'd come with your 9.3x62 to hunt cape buffalo with them (and assumably the same for water buffalo).

It is also true that historically, the 9.3x62 has been used to take down plenty of those beasts.

But the part that confuses most here, is that the 9.3x62 is legal (and quite effective) on bison in the game.
And while for both bison and water buffalo weights in excess of 1000kg have been reported, the typical weight range for bison is 460 to 988 kg, while that for the water buffalo is "only" 300–550 kg (source: Wikipedia).
“Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'" ― Isaac Asimov
Gewehrwolf
Tracker

Post by Gewehrwolf »

Hi,
JamboWhoDat wrote:The bullet in the game is 225 gr at 3260 fps
could you deliver a source for this? Ingame, we use something called 'Nosler Partition 9.3x62. The box ingame looks like a pack of 'Nosler Trophy Grade 9.3x62. That ammo irl isn't available with a partition bullet. It comes with a 250gr AccuBond bullet. Only ammo available with a 9.3x62 partition bullet would be 'Nosler Safari', which is available with either a 286gr partition or solid bullet. By the way, they only have a muzzle velocity around 2,500 fps. And even a 225gr bullet would deliver enough energy travelling at 3k+fps , so I really wonder where your numbers are coming from.

(source : https://www.nosler.com/93x62-mauser/ )

9.3x62 ammo out of the box comes with many bullet variants, suited for almost every kind of game. Not only every African game has been taken with it. Many Countries that as a general rule require a larger bore even make an exception for 9.3 because of it's history as a Big Five round.
When loading yourself, you can even increase that variety. There's even an Australian manufacturer offering a 320gr bullet exclusively designed for water buffalo hunting.

Cheers,
Wehrwolf.
μολών λαβέ
Sherab86
Hunter

Post by Sherab86 »

Gewehrwolf wrote:Could you deliver a source for this? Ingame, we use something called 'Nosler Partition 9.3x62. The box ingame looks like a pack of 'Nosler Trophy Grade 9.3x62. That ammo irl isn't available with a partition bullet. It comes with a 250gr AccuBond bullet. Only ammo available with a 9.3x62 partition bullet would be 'Nosler Safari', which is available with either a 286gr partition or solid bullet. By the way, they only have a muzzle velocity around 2,500 fps. And even a 225gr bullet would deliver enough energy travelling at 3k+fps , so I really wonder where your numbers are coming from.
I have to admitt that I didn't check this prior to my own post. All good points, Gewehrwolf.

EDIT: On the second thought, maybe there was such a cartridge in Nosler's offer in time, when the ammo was introduced to the game (?). I don't know. Still, I don't know either what is the source of info OP provided to us.

Return to “General Chat”