New Reservat: Piccabeen Bay

General chat about The Hunter. For suggestions, please use the "Suggestions"-room below.
strandjutter
Scout

Re: New Reservat: Piccabeen Bay

Post by strandjutter »

Radamus wrote:
strandjutter wrote:I found a graphical error on piccabeen Bay.
I don't think the Tunnel was surpost to be this way !

I'm curious about our settings as I walked all over this exact spot in my only hunt and didn't see this- I had tracks all over the place I was collecting only on that side before I took a trip in the tunnel *just like TGT* ... and of course come out the other end looking a pig in the face.

I agree with others on vegetation density, kind of having a Primal paranoia feeling.
these are my settings !

Radamus
Master Hunter

Post by Radamus »

I'll have to check that out when I get home - I'm maxed out on settings just like you- I crawled all over that thing and didn't see that. Only reason I know I was there was all the tracks I was collecting were like all over the place like animals were stuck against that wall trying to get out.
"Out of all competitors, Radamus was the only one who got it I think" - BCKidd
"Ugh, I absolutely hate the thought that Radamus is right about this and I was wrong...!!!" Splainin2do
I can't afford a swear jar - xOEDragon
Spoiler:
Sherab86
Hunter

Post by Sherab86 »

Knut wrote:My first impressions on the new reserve:

Overall, I would say it'd be a let-down, but it isn't, because I expected it to be kind of mediocre. Somehow EW always publishes a rather meh map after a visually stunning one. And TGT had it all.
A bit more detailed feedback, then....

The map
Oh, what a bummer.
The terrain itself is lacking plenty of love for details, the terrain surface is oftentimes bumpy and littered with unnatural shapes and forms that would've needed some TLC. Best example is the main river channel. No riverbanks, no natural appearance, just an undulating trough filled with water. It doesn't look at all like a natural river. No change of shape, type of ground or vegetation along it's shores. Trophy Hunter 2003's rivers looked like that. And then there's a striking lack of love for added details, like trails etc.
The vegetation, while in itself nice, is incredibly dull. Plenty of different plants and yet wherever you look, it all looks the same. The same mix of rather open vegetation with homogeneous underbrush and a rather light tree coverage. Extremely little variation in densities and appearance. Always enough structure to obstruct the occasional shot, but never enough to make spotting and stalking really tricky. Not at all how I'd imagined such a type of climate zone.
Another thing that seems to be really at beta levels at best are attraction zones for the animals and their pathfinding between them. I found hardly any roaming animal tracks that move from one place to the other. Whenever I found tracks, there was a ton of them going in circles within a very limited space with the animals clearly staying within the zone for very long periods of time. Only the feral hogs seem to roam a bit.

Sound
Another true gem of ambient sound. The audible atmosphere is stunning and really sets you in the mood. The frog in the swampy areas is lovably annoying, and the thunderstorms are truly frightening. Absolutely awesome atmosphere.
However, it's kind of funny that the raindrops are way louder on my left shoulder than on my right. There are a few ambient sounds where the stereo orientation is messed up and sides are switched. Same is true for the Rusa caller once again. I still have no clue why the devs refuse to check that, when it would be so simple. I have the impression sound orientation is applied randomly to any given sound effect.

The animals
The animations are mindbogglingly good! The way the bovides roam, with the spring in their step, is great. I shot a Sambar in the leg and the way it stumbled and fell, came back up and ran simply looked perfect. Great job!
Rusa and Sambar also have great body models and look stunning.
However the Sambar antlers are a total bust. They look like I did model them from play-doh with my clumsy hands. Varying thickness along the beam makes them look very unnatural and the T2 has the wrong orientation. It should sprout more backwards and not forwards.
Additionally, they're tricky to hunt. They roam incredibly fast and when fleeing are even faster. Three strides and they are out of render range, looks weird. Additionally, they are super skittish. I had them spooked several times at 150m+ while approaching crouched. I don't see me hunting them very much.

The bovides are the opposite, though. Rather slow roaming they seem to be quite thick, if not dumb. Easy take town. Especially as their lungs are the size of a family zodiac. Unfortunately, their model is a bit underwhelming. The horns look superartificial, way too smooth without structure and especially the horns of the Banteng look like the attached handle bars of a pommel horse. The size of the water buffalo horns are outrageously huge. And I just shot some rather small ones. And they've got a way too round cross section. Water buffalo horns have rather flat sides with some edges running along their length, they're not just a simple ovoid in the cross section. Big ones in game also seem so have some weird bulb end instead of a smooth point. All in all the horns look quite unnatural.
But the worst about them is the water buffal's texture, from some distance they have the same ugly shiny plasicky appearance as the old black bear model had.

And finally the hogs. Yes, they are fitting into the habitat. Yet, they're tremendously unnecessary. If I want to hunt feral hogs, I go to LP or BRR. I already ignorethem on the other reserves they are on. But in the dense vegetation of PB they are a nuisance indeed. But well, no big issue, either.

The overheating
Utter nonsense.
Not only is the game mechanics completely unneeded, the graphics also look like a cheap governmental simulator meant to rise awareness for the risk of drunken driving. Those peripheral ripple effects were already in the 1992 adventure game Dune and don't resemble any realistic visual impairment.

I I quote Knut, because I mostly agree with him. Mostly... ;)

I like the idea behind the overheat mechanics, actualy. How this is implemented is a little bit different story, but I like the idea. :) I'm also quite happy this reserve dosn't look as some have expected - otherwise it could be overkill for my PC. ;) But I like it also because the jungle is not as dense as I was afraid - some parts are even quite open, and this fit my playstyle. It is not very reallistic, probably, but I can live wih that. :) Prior to announcment that this will be Aussie inspired map, I was hoping for India, among some other ideas. And while this is Australia, there are mostly some Indian and South-Eastern Asian animals. So I'm quite happy with that. This might be a reserve I will be hunting in, after all. :) For the rest, I rather agree with Knut. :)

EDIT:
I forgot - In my impression Bantengs dies to easily from 7 mm RM. Maybe this is only because of they large lungs vs. small lungs of Bison, but with bison I definitely struggle more. And I wouldn't say that Banteng is somehow much more fragile than Bison, I suppose. ;) I don't have permitted weapon for Buffalo, so I can't say anything about this species.
Last edited by Sherab86 on December 15th, 2017, 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Knut
Outfitter

Post by Knut »

xOEDragonx wrote:Says "You Own: 3" in the store. According to the store page, each bottle has 3 uses, or as you put it sips. Logically, I should have 9 uses/sips in a single hunt.
The store doesn't list the amount of items but the amount of uses. Same for scent eliminator, wind indicator etc. If it says "You own: 20" then you've got 20 uses left, not 20 bottles of X uses each. So you down't have 9 uses/sips available, but only 3.

Kind of confusing, unfortunately.
“Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'" ― Isaac Asimov
xOEDragonx

Post by xOEDragonx »

Radamus wrote:I'll have to check that out when I get home - I'm maxed out on settings just like you- I crawled all over that thing and didn't see that. Only reason I know I was there was all the tracks I was collecting were like all over the place like animals were stuck against that wall trying to get out.
I also play on all max settings, and I did see this exact graphical error strandjutter recorded. I didn't interact with it at all as I was afraid of getting stuck in it and I was tracking a wounded deer at the time that I didn't want to lose.

There was also a spot on the map just before I got to this tunnel (I didn't bother to mark it, I should have...) where I encountered an invisible "wall." It was a large invisible obstruction, almost like a very large boulder or long fallen tree was blocking my path. I initially noticed it because my scent hound got stuck on it while tracking the aforementioned wounded deer. Seems like the deer had no trouble going straight through it.
Knut wrote: The store doesn't list the amount of items but the amount of uses. Same for scent eliminator, wind indicator etc. If it says "You own: 20" then you've got 20 uses left, not 20 bottles of X uses each. So you down't have 9 uses/sips available, but only 3.

Kind of confusing, unfortunately.
I gotcha, thanks for clearing that up!
Radamus
Master Hunter

Post by Radamus »

strandjutter wrote:
Radamus wrote:
strandjutter wrote:I found a graphical error on piccabeen Bay.
I don't think the Tunnel was surpost to be this way !
I'm curious about our settings as I walked all over this exact spot in my only hunt and didn't see this- I had tracks all over the place I was collecting only on that side before I took a trip in the tunnel *just like TGT* ... and of course come out the other end looking a pig in the face.
I agree with others on vegetation density, kind of having a Primal paranoia feeling.
Yup! I'm looking at it now- I didn't notice it before- So yeah, it's like there's either a rubble pile or a stone wall, can't have both unfinished with an open end.

The more I ran around I'm thinking this reserve just isn't for me...ethical weapons don't make any sense, thick as snot and hunting cows basically.... just not feeling it yet. I don't care about the water bottle thing, I bought the clothes, didn't see an issue at all even running... just a really creepy place for me so far and getting killed out of nowhere, really creepy. I also got stuck on tree roots for no reason, can't go anywhere, get out of them or move- had to FT to lodge just to get out, not feeling it. The scenery is really sharp though, the plants, everything looks fantastic so much so I wish some of the others looked as crisp and sharp.
"Out of all competitors, Radamus was the only one who got it I think" - BCKidd
"Ugh, I absolutely hate the thought that Radamus is right about this and I was wrong...!!!" Splainin2do
I can't afford a swear jar - xOEDragon
Spoiler:
Tanngnjostr
Master Hunter

Post by Tanngnjostr »

I'm really sad to say this, but my first hunt in PB didn't exactly feel like love at first sight.

The rusa deer and its animations were really pretty, I'm not so sure about the water buffalo though which looks a bit clumsy and plastic. Have yet to see a Banteng or Sambar. I did like the sound and the new weather effects. Also I noticed that the overheating effect isn't as unnerving as I feared it would be - I still think it was unnecessary to introduce it, but at least I barely noticed it.

Unfortunately the part of the reserve that I explored in my first hunt (mostly the SE and parts of the eastern river/swamp area) was too monotonous, it all felt the same - a bit like the dense parts of Settler Creeks, but vast areas without much variety. I found a whole lot of rusa deer tracks (stats say I tracked 27), but barely got any calls and only saw two large groups of females. In two hours I didn't manage to see a single buck. Also it seems they are roaming way too fast! Even when constantly walking upright, it took me ages to catch up with a group. Must be reindeer speed. :? My impression is that some re-balancing (spawn rates, roaming speed, number of calls) might be due...?!? After two hours of hunting, not being able to finish the Holiday mission, I gave up unnerved. Couldn't really enjoy it, it felt like a chore. Maybe it was a bad idea to try and finish that mission on my first hunt, maybe I should've tried to explore it without this goal. I'll give it another go tomorrow.
Image Image Image
Ravenousfox
Outfitter

Post by Ravenousfox »

Tanngnjostr wrote:I'm really sad to say this, but my first hunt in PB didn't exactly feel like love at first sight.

The rusa deer and its animations were really pretty, I'm not so sure about the water buffalo though which looks a bit clumsy and plastic. Have yet to see a Banteng or Sambar. I did like the sound and the new weather effects. Also I noticed that the overheating effect isn't as unnerving as I feared it would be - I still think it was unnecessary to introduce it, but at least I barely noticed it.

Unfortunately the part of the reserve that I explored in my first hunt (mostly the SE and parts of the eastern river/swamp area) was too monotonous, it all felt the same - a bit like the dense parts of Settler Creeks, but vast areas without much variety. I found a whole lot of rusa deer tracks (stats say I tracked 27), but barely got any calls and only saw two large groups of females. In two hours I didn't manage to see a single buck. Also it seems they are roaming way too fast! Even when constantly walking upright, it took me ages to catch up with a group. Must be reindeer speed. :? My impression is that some re-balancing (spawn rates, roaming speed, number of calls) might be due...?!? After two hours of hunting, not being able to finish the Holiday mission, I gave up unnerved. Couldn't really enjoy it, it felt like a chore. Maybe it was a bad idea to try and finish that mission on my first hunt, maybe I should've tried to explore it without this goal. I'll give it another go tomorrow.
May I suggest to always spawn at the top lodge, bottom lodge hardly has any animal spawns what so ever until you reach around where the Lighthouse is.
I have over 1337 kills with my Longbow at 100% kill rate.
My YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPHtNC ... RQ3X3b0TjQ
My Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/rav_fox
Tanngnjostr
Master Hunter

Post by Tanngnjostr »

Ravenousfox wrote:May I suggest to always spawn at the top lodge, bottom lodge hardly has any animal spawns what so ever until you reach around where the Lighthouse is.
Thanks for the hint, I'll try that tomorrow. I spawned in the SE because the launcher said there were rusa deer which I wanted to find for the mission. Actually I did find a lot of tracks, but hardly any animals. As I said, stalking them seems to be as useful as following old reindeer tracks in Hemmeldal. With the dense vegetation, I wish they would call a little more.
Image Image Image
BCKidd

Post by BCKidd »

Radamus wrote:
strandjutter wrote:
Radamus wrote:
Yup! I'm looking at it now- I didn't notice it before- So yeah, it's like there's either a rubble pile or a stone wall, can't have both unfinished with an open end.

The more I ran around I'm thinking this reserve just isn't for me...ethical weapons don't make any sense, thick as snot and hunting cows basically.... just not feeling it yet. I don't care about the water bottle thing, I bought the clothes, didn't see an issue at all even running... just a really creepy place for me so far and getting killed out of nowhere, really creepy. I also got stuck on tree roots for no reason, can't go anywhere, get out of them or move- had to FT to lodge just to get out, not feeling it. The scenery is really sharp though, the plants, everything looks fantastic so much so I wish some of the others looked as crisp and sharp.
In the two visits I made to Picabeen, I only saw females as well, a slew of 'em, but never fired a shot. I wanted my first kill from there to be a big 'ol stag, bull, or what have you. I agree, also I don't think I'm feelin' the love for this place yet myself. But, that is the same with all new reserve, maybe in time as the bugs get quashed. I'm not at all impressed with the heat thing, but I'll live with it. Here' is a funny for you; I udder-ly saw way too many cows... :lol: Peace.

BCKidd.

"Patience and perseverance, are not an option if you want that trophy, they are a necessity."

Keep it real!
"Careful, David, he's Canadian......They eat people you know." Fletchette.

Return to “General Chat”