New Reservat: Piccabeen Bay

General chat about The Hunter. For suggestions, please use the "Suggestions"-room below.
JimboCrow
Outfitter

Re: New Reservat: Piccabeen Bay

Post by JimboCrow »

Got my .45-70 Buffalo rifle, my British .303, and my Hiwayman .308 handgun. Oh, and my longbow. Feel like a pirate on Treasure Island! Need a pair of knickers, some tall boots, an eye patch, and a bandana! Already got the bird! Need a three cornered hat though!
AmbushPredator
Scout

Post by AmbushPredator »

The new reserve has really surpassed all my expectations.

I was a bit dubious at first when it was announced, as I'd been hoping for a semi-arid style map, based on Arizona or Utah, and the idea of ploughing through thick tropical vegetation didn't really float my boat. But when I saw the first animal animations, I was blown away. The devs have done a superb job here, the animals are the most realistic in the game, the way the deer move in particular is very realistic. New animations - like when a female rusa stops to scratch it's head with a hind foot - have me just watching, and not shooting!

The banteng are a little bit too 'ginger' in colouration (makes me think I just shot some farmer's prize Jersey stud bull!), but that's the only fault I've found so far.
Prinz1989
Hunter

Post by Prinz1989 »

Don't shoot a sambar in the intestines!
17.3 minutes of wound time with the .308 rifle, from now on it's going to be 7mm or .300 for me.
Beano8U
Scout

Post by Beano8U »

J_Birdman wrote:This new tropical reserve/release is a hot mess. -chuckle- No, really, it is.

I'm not going to waste my time explaining everything wrong/broken with it. Enough people have stated just about all of it and EW knows exactly how wrong/broken this release is even before they released it. I will mention a few things, though; 1) Are there not flowers or any other colorful plants in a tropical forest? All I see is endless kilometers of varying shades of brown and green. Hell, even the non-huntable critters I see flying around are ..wait for it ..black, 2) The heating up/water bottle thing is like a bad joke, and I also do not appreciate having to carry around another thing when our carrying capacity is oh so precious. Also, during the live stream and since after, all I've heard is that we get three bottles of water for free. It's not three bottles, it's one bottle with three uses. Saying EW is giving us three bottles has been misleading, confusing and outright wrong. It's like saying when I buy a mini scent elim it's ten individual cans instead of one can with ten uses in it. 3) The pigs, wow. EW still went ahead with them even after seeing such a bad community response to them pre-release. I've never seen such a negative response to any new addition in my time here. This is a real head-scratcher. Escaped barnyard animals are exactly what I don't want to see in a brand spanking new, tropical reserve, no matter if they actually do exist in such a place. It totally blows away any immersion one can have in a tropical, virtual setting and makes no sense to me. The species list wasn't completely filled up with the release of TT, with the addition of the grey wolves later, and I simply don't understand why the same couldn't have been done with this new reserve. This is a monumental fail for me, far beyond all of the other fails I see for this reserve.

I've been around for three reserve releases now. WR was a complete disaster and almost killed EW. TT was nice, there were bugs but they were tended to pretty quickly, save for the "endless roaming" bug which was only fixed recently. Now comes PB, and it seems to be right on par with the WR release. The difference is, WR was absolutely rushed in order for EW to fulfill their boxed retail obligations. Now that EW no longer releases boxed retail versions, what/who are they beholden to exactly? There was no reason to release this broken/screwy reserve ahead of its time. The fact that it was released during the holiday season, and holiday "event"(aka the "buy this stuff if you want a cookie picture" event), makes even less sense to me. But hey, at least their whole office is going on a month-long holiday vacation very soon. :lol:

All of my reserves are nicely set up with lots of equipment, but I won't be buying or permanently placing a single piece of equipment for this new reserve. I'm not even buying the new camo for it because we should have been given a special-weather, non-camo version for free as was done with WR. If we had been given a free version, I would have absolutely bought the camo version. Now I'm buying none of it. No clothes, no tents, no equipment, nothing.

It's not all bad though, I love the hanging vines, they're sweet. :roll:

I joined up not long after Whiterime Ridge was released and not too sure of any issues there (not really come across any). I actually liked the mechanics of the game (cold/heat) on that reserve and Piccabeen Bay. Fair enough there was a basic kit for the arctic environment, but I was led to believe the basic starter tshirt, jeans, boots etc that you get as a guest were suitable for the new reserve? I haven't tried them.
I did get a little confused about the water bottle/uses scenario, and even had conflicting info when I was in the store. (Showed I owned 2, then after clicking on the description it shows I have 1)
I have also found the Feral Hogs do not call, as mentioned.
I also agree, J_Birdman. There should be maybe a little more colourful flora around the reserve. I live in Aus and would have to say there are some pretty colourful plants in our rainforests, even if they are small. I like what the reserve is headed towards. It just isn't finished :(
I am really disappointed the reserve seems rushed out to us. Even if it was intended to be a "holiday gift", I would have been happier to wait.
Just hope EW take our criticism on board. I am generally happy with the reserve, just not mind blown like I was expecting from the sneak peeks I was shown. (Never got to see any of the streams because of time zones)

zeusl

Post by zeusl »

Perhaps a stupid question but should not Sneaky 3D Arid Camo also work in Paccabay? (I have it and get overheated slowly, it start to appear after about 15-30 minutes (in game minutes).
In the status update from EW it only says: "The Outback outfit, a common choice for hunters of Bushrangers Run, will also help keep the warm weather effects at bay."
Prinz1989
Hunter

Post by Prinz1989 »

zeusl wrote:Perhaps a stupid question but should not Sneaky 3D Arid Camo also work in Paccabay? (I have it and get overheated slowly, it start to appear after about 15-30 minutes (in game minutes).
In the status update from EW it only says: "The Outback outfit, a common choice for hunters of Bushrangers Run, will also help keep the warm weather effects at bay."
It's propably a known bug.
I'm overheating wearing the outback outfit in about the same timeframe.
I thought they might just deactivate overheating until they have a fix but it seems they are not willing to do that.
james990
Outfitter

Post by james990 »

Prinz1989 wrote:Don't shoot a sambar in the intestines!
17.3 minutes of wound time with the .308 rifle, from now on it's going to be 7mm or .300 for me.
Tell me about it! it feels like there too strong to not be able to be shot with the 45-70. (Which they should be!! people use them in real life and they're larger than red deer and hogs which are permitted)

Whats an animal with the same strength as a sambar ingame?

elk?
D3AKUs
Hunter

Post by D3AKUs »

james990 wrote:
Tell me about it! it feels like there too strong to not be able to be shot with the 45-70. (Which they should be!! people use them in real life and they're larger than red deer and hogs which are permitted)

elk?
Naaah Elk are nothing compared to Sambar ingame. U can easily double lung an Elk with 7mm , try that on Sambar. Theyll run off laughing. U get one lung if u aim really well and take your time.
I mentioned this in the 45.70 topic already but the .300 seems to be a better hard hitter for them and especially at distances under 100m. Much more pleasant to shoot em and finally see them drop in their tracks. Ill recommend using that one over the 7mm atm. Still need to test the 30-06 and 30R tho. Maybe those 2 are also good options.

I really could not tell which animal is compareable to sambar. Cause normally all the animals drop equally well with the appropriate and allowed caliber, even Water Buffalo drop like flyes - but Sambar refuse to go down without a fight often.

I have to say in their favor , the whole hunting experience they offer is quite unique and one of the best parts of the new reserve. It is really enjoyable to go out for them and a nice and welcomed challenge.
fantamichele
Outfitter

Post by fantamichele »

D3AKUs wrote:
james990 wrote:

elk?
Naaah Elk are nothing compared to Sambar ingame. U can easily double lung an Elk with 7mm , try that on Sambar. Theyll run off laughing. U get one lung if u aim really well and take your time.
I mentioned this in the 45.70 topic already but the .300 seems to be a better hard hitter even for them and especially at distances under 100m. Much more pleasant to shoot em and finally see them drop in their tracks. Ill recommend using that one over the 7mm atm. Still need to test the 30-06 and 30R tho. Maybe those 2 are also good options.

I really could not tell which animal is compareable to sambar. Cause normally all the animals drop equally well with the appropriate and allowed caliber, even Water Buffalo drop like flyes - but Sambar refuse to go down without a fight often.

I have to say in their favor , the whole hunting experience they offer is quite unique and one of the best parts of the new reserve. It is really enjoyable to go out for them and a nice and welcomed challenge.
I'm getting good results with the 7.62x54R rifle
D3AKUs
Hunter

Post by D3AKUs »

fantamichele wrote:
D3AKUs wrote:
james990 wrote:

elk?
I mentioned this in the 45.70 topic already but the .300 seems to be a better hard hitter even for them and especially at distances under 100m. Much more pleasant to shoot em and finally see them drop in their tracks. Ill recommend using that one over the 7mm atm. Still need to test the 30-06 and 30R tho. Maybe those 2 are also good options.

I'm getting good results with the 7.62x54R rifle
Good to know :) thats one i still dont own, missed to buy it on the last sale but its still high on my list of rifles i want to get in the future.

Return to “General Chat”