Loud Weapons vs Quiet Weapons

General chat about The Hunter. For suggestions, please use the "Suggestions"-room below.
gas56
Outfitter

Re: Loud Weapons vs Quiet Weapons

Post by gas56 »

nachthexe wrote:
gas56 wrote:
nachthexe wrote:
Not in measuring the sound level of firearms. There would be no way to calculate noise level unless 1st you had somewhere to start with the sound factor number with a set distance.
The loudness of the db meter was taken at a very close range, around a few feet. and around 100 yards away it will read around 60% loss on the scale. How do I know this? Where I live noise disturbance from a firearm being shot off has to be measured with a sound reading device at 93 db or lower to your closest neighbor which in my case was 100 yards to just on the other side of the road to my shooting range. And no matter how much they complained the law is the law as the noise level was @ 91.6 db with a .357 magnum handgun at that range. I never measured it from 5 feet away so I don't know the sound level from that gun, but the db above for the .357 seems pretty close with around 60% loss. All I know is that you want to wear your ear plugs at that close distance unless you want your ears to ring for awhile.
An increase of 10 db is twice as loud, no matter what type of sound! I wrote this based on the presented numbers, I do not know how they were measured or obtained. they might be incorrect, But I can only go based on the posted values.
I explained how it is done, there is no calculation on an axis. This is done with a noise level monitoring device, which almost works like having a source microphone of an old tape recorder with
Vu meters which gives you the numbers of the readout which are set/calibrated at minus/plus zero db from a distance of 5 feet.
Last edited by gas56 on December 9th, 2017, 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nachthexe
Hunter

Post by nachthexe »

Kosanderi wrote:
nachthexe wrote:An increase of 10 db is twice as loud, no matter what type of sound!
I'm not sure how you measure loudness, but if you mean power - 10dB more is 10x power, 20dB more is 100x power etc. 3dB more is roughly 2x power.
Ravenousfox wrote:I'd like to know your thoughts when it comes to Loud Weapons vs Quiet Weapons - specifically Handguns vs Bows.
I don't think there is reason to adjust the sound of handguns. Handgun hunting is just one way to hunt. Handguns are lighter and easier to carry than rifles and easier to use than bows. Drawbacks as stated before are sound compared to bows and power compared to rifles. I can live with that. Then again I wouldn't mind suppressed weapons - rifle or handgun - integrated to the game if done reasonably.
Yes, this is correct power wise. But if you read up, you will see that 10x the power roughly equals 2x loudness, and 20dB equal roughly 4x the loudness. So even if a weapon has an apparently low addition in dB it will be quite louder. Assuming they were all measured under the same circumstances.
Code: Select all
gas56
Outfitter

Post by gas56 »

nachthexe wrote:
Kosanderi wrote:
nachthexe wrote:An increase of 10 db is twice as loud, no matter what type of sound!
I'm not sure how you measure loudness, but if you mean power - 10dB more is 10x power, 20dB more is 100x power etc. 3dB more is roughly 2x power.
Ravenousfox wrote:I'd like to know your thoughts when it comes to Loud Weapons vs Quiet Weapons - specifically Handguns vs Bows.
I don't think there is reason to adjust the sound of handguns. Handgun hunting is just one way to hunt. Handguns are lighter and easier to carry than rifles and easier to use than bows. Drawbacks as stated before are sound compared to bows and power compared to rifles. I can live with that. Then again I wouldn't mind suppressed weapons - rifle or handgun - integrated to the game if done reasonably.
Yes, this is correct power wise. But if you read up, you will see that 10x the power roughly equals 2x loudness, and 20dB equal roughly 4x the loudness. So even if a weapon has an apparently low addition in dB it will be quite louder. Assuming they were all measured under the same circumstances.
The more power given the louder the speakers up to what the max Db levels are for those speakers.
Are you talking about amplification Stereo wise?

Anyway to the main question of Ravenous Fox, Handgun levels should not change, as with a short barrel the noise level makes them pretty loud, and
spook distances the way they are now should remain the same. I myself only use handguns as a deterrent against animals in this game.
Because IRL you just can't sit someplace and shoot a bunch of big game animals with whatever weapon you may use as like in the game.
Yeah, its a game!
Last edited by gas56 on December 9th, 2017, 6:34 pm, edited 7 times in total.
RidgeBack69
Outfitter

Post by RidgeBack69 »

This game is not RL. so back to the game what is the spook radius in game on the 17HMR comparted to the Plinkington. any idea?
Spoiler:
nachthexe
Hunter

Post by nachthexe »

RidgeBack69 wrote:This game is not RL. so back to the game what is the spook radius in game on the 17HMR comparted to the Plinkington. any idea?
It is higher from my experience.
Code: Select all
Stoops417

Post by Stoops417 »

I know I'm probably the outcast here but this is one of the reasons I really would like to see suppressors added to the game. Here in the US, while they are regulated, they are used in hunting often not only for their noise reduction (not elimination) properties as well as their ballistic benefits.
Kosanderi
Tracker

Post by Kosanderi »

nachthexe wrote:Yes, this is correct power wise. But if you read up, you will see that 10x the power roughly equals 2x loudness, and 20dB equal roughly 4x the loudness. So even if a weapon has an apparently low addition in dB it will be quite louder. Assuming they were all measured under the same circumstances.
Ok, so far I have only used dB-units to measure sound volume and this is all new to me. Where and what aplications is this scale used for?
Stoops417 wrote:I know I'm probably the outcast here but this is one of the reasons I really would like to see suppressors added to the game. Here in the US, while they are regulated, they are used in hunting often not only for their noise reduction (not elimination) properties as well as their ballistic benefits.
Here you can get a suppressor to your gun without any paperwork and are quite common for hunters. Never noticed any ballistic benefits though. I do think they are useful in hunting - mainly preventing hearing damage - but in the game I'm not so sure. To me best way to implement a suppressed gun would be to create completely new integrally suppressed firearm with suitable subsonic cartridge like .300Blk, 338 Whisper, 9x39, 12,7x55 AMOS etc. I don't think suppressing the usual supersonic calibers wouldn't either be realistic or in anyway useful in a game. Might be cool and definately different.
Spoiler:
gas56
Outfitter

Post by gas56 »

Kosanderi wrote:
nachthexe wrote:Yes, this is correct power wise. But if you read up, you will see that 10x the power roughly equals 2x loudness, and 20dB equal roughly 4x the loudness. So even if a weapon has an apparently low addition in dB it will be quite louder. Assuming they were all measured under the same circumstances.
Kosanderi wrote:Ok, so far I have only used dB-units to measure sound volume and this is all new to me. Where and what aplications is this scale used for?
In producing sound volume loudness with amplification to the speakers read in decibel in electronics. It is not used in measuring gun loudness sound waves.

The decibel ( dB) is used to measure sound level, but it is also widely used in electronics, signals and communication. The dB is a logarithmic way of dscribing a ratio. The ratio may be power, sound pressure, voltage or intensity or several other things
How do we read sound level in electronics.
How sound waves are measured
Stoops417

Post by Stoops417 »

Kosanderi wrote:Here you can get a suppressor to your gun without any paperwork and are quite common for hunters. Never noticed any ballistic benefits though. I do think they are useful in hunting - mainly preventing hearing damage - but in the game I'm not so sure. To me best way to implement a suppressed gun would be to create completely new integrally suppressed firearm with suitable subsonic cartridge like .300Blk, 338 Whisper, 9x39, 12,7x55 AMOS etc. I don't think suppressing the usual supersonic calibers wouldn't either be realistic or in anyway useful in a game. Might be cool and definately different.
The ballistic benefits come from essentially increasing the barrel length and therefore giving a small boost to muzzle velocity. In addition, there is usually a significant increase in accuracy due to the projectile leaving the bullet in clean air while the propellant gasses are delayed by the suppressor instead of the projectile being affected by the gasses expanding immediately behind it as both leave the barrel together.

While suppressing a subsonic load will lead to far less noise, suppressing a supersonic load still reduces the report at the muzzle and provides the same ballistic benefits. In my opinion, this would be a more realistic way they could be implemented for hunting as subsonic ammunition is severely lacking in terminal ballistics comparatively.
Kosanderi
Tracker

Post by Kosanderi »

Stoops417 wrote:The ballistic benefits come from essentially increasing the barrel length and therefore giving a small boost to muzzle velocity. In addition, there is usually a significant increase in accuracy due to the projectile leaving the bullet in clean air while the propellant gasses are delayed by the suppressor instead of the projectile being affected by the gasses expanding immediately behind it as both leave the barrel together.
From what I've exprienced the muzzle velocity increases - if it increases - with a common centerfired rifle ~ 2 - 10 m/s if it can be measured but mostly stays inside the standard deviation of that specific round/rifle combination. At 500m 10m/s change is ~ 0,1MRAD or 1/3MOA difference in total drop. Most hunting rifles can do 1MOA(And most hunters 2-3MOA on a good day :lol: ). Again in my exprience change in MV is insignificant and therefore I shoot past 1000m with same dope with or without suppressor - never noted any difference. Also the accuracy of the firearm rarely changes because of a suppressor. Usually suppressors reduce felt recoil due to increased weight and reduced recoil force of the gases. This makes the gun easier to shoot and more stabile to hold which make the shooter more accurate - not the firearm.

"Projectile leaving the bullet"? - You probably mean bullet leaving the barrel? Anyways if the suppressor "essentially increasing the barrel length and therefore giving a small boost to muzzle velocity" wouldn't that meen that with a suppressor the gasses have more effect on the bullet after it leaves the barrel? Whether there is a suppressor or not gasses and the bullet will leave the barrel the same way everytime. Also the suppressor won't scatter the gases behind the bullet any faster - in fact it's quite the opposite as the gases can't expand freely and there you get that boost to MV if you get it. So what I'm trying to say is that a suppressor doesn't increase the accuracy of the gun in that way at all...

That being said in some cases attaching a suppressor can change the harmonics of the barrel and that can either increase or decrease the accuracy of the gun.
Stoops417 wrote:While suppressing a subsonic load will lead to far less noise, suppressing a supersonic load still reduces the report at the muzzle and provides the same ballistic benefits. In my opinion, this would be a more realistic way they could be implemented for hunting as subsonic ammunition is severely lacking in terminal ballistics comparatively.
This is true - however the difference for this game between suppressed supersonic rifle and unsuppressed supersonic rifle would be the sound and perhaps reduced spooking radius behind the shooter. Eitherway it wouldn't effect the gameplay all that much...
Spoiler:

Return to “General Chat”