Loud Weapons vs Quiet Weapons

General chat about The Hunter. For suggestions, please use the "Suggestions"-room below.
TreeKiwi
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Loud Weapons vs Quiet Weapons

Post by TreeKiwi »

I opened this thread up to have a read... I am backing out slowly now because I know nothing on this level hahahaha! I point and they go bang!
InstinctiveArcher
Outfitter

Post by InstinctiveArcher »

TreeKiwi wrote:I opened this thread up to have a read... I am backing out slowly now because I know nothing on this level hahahaha! I point and they go bang!
I'm with you on that one! :lol:

In hunting, impossible doesn't exist any more than a sure thing does. - Tom Miranda
MudBug
Outfitter

Post by MudBug »

Stoops417 wrote:I know I'm probably the outcast here but this is one of the reasons I really would like to see suppressors added to the game. Here in the US, while they are regulated, they are used in hunting often not only for their noise reduction (not elimination) properties as well as their ballistic benefits.
They are legal in Europe and New Zealand as well. I believe they are actually less regulated with regards to a registry and extra taxation which is present in the USA. Hopefully someone who hunts in those locations will provide us with some information regarding silencer usage in their areas.

Not sure what ballistic benefits you are talking about regarding the addition of a silencer to a gun, other than the increase of a few FPS to the projectile.

I too wish there would be a silencer option in game.
Gewehrwolf
Tracker

Post by Gewehrwolf »

Hi,

First of all, I think handgun noise ingame is just fine as it is.

About silencers : ingame, they would be bad for ballance I think. Because within the limited range of 200m, everyone would just be using the silenced rifle. At least on the species permitted.

IRL, when talking about ballistics, one thing isn't taken into account here when talking about increasing fps with rifle silencers. First thing you will want to do when using a surpressor is to reduce muzzle velocity below sound level by choosing special ammo/a special laboration. There's almost no point in using a silencer with supersonic ammo unless you want to surpress muzzle fire or make locating more difficult without losing AP capabilities. But therefore you'd go for another kind of surpressor anyway and it doesn't matter in a daylight hunting setting.

Furthermore, the silencer is designed to absorb most of the gasses and sound while travelling through it behind the bullet. This given, the gasses won't give very much energy to the bullet while travelling through the 'extra length', at least much less than they would in a regular barrel. So even if you compare the velocities of the same ammo, I assume that the difference will be within the tolerance coming with any kind of ammunition and thereby will not be messureable.

On the other hand, there will be less turbulence around the muzzle, given the fact that a large amount of the expansive gasses is absorbed. And the bullet won't drop below sonic level inflight, with might also be a small accuracy increase. But again, if so it will be barely measureable.

Greetings,
Wehrwolf.
μολών λαβέ

Return to “General Chat”