Bobcat didn't die after an Intestine shot!

General chat about The Hunter. For suggestions, please use the "Suggestions"-room below.
HD_Artworks
Outfitter

Bobcat didn't die after an Intestine shot!

Post by HD_Artworks »

Hi, everyone.
Today I decided to hunt some Bobcat. I spot a female bobcat in the distant and I place my E-Caller and go prone on the road to see it better.
After the bobcat come to the road I had a clear shot. So, I raise my .357 handgun and shoot her(about 140m). I see she spooked but with a very low speed. So, I realized the shot hit and I see the intestine blood track.
So, I was ready to harvest her but after a very long chasing, she didn't die!
Just check the map. The red dot is where I shot her and look how far I chase her and she was still alive and I still ID intestine blood track!

So, is it normal or it's kind of a bug?
Season Stats
Spoiler:
Eraser_SK
Outfitter

Re: Bobcat didn't die after an Intestine shot!

Post by Eraser_SK »

I have something similiar with Coyote and lung shot (.30-30 Rifle )... 2-3 years ago. Sometime it happens ..

Look at wound time...

https://www.thehunter.com/#profile/stew ... /338554925
Radamus
Master Hunter

Post by Radamus »

I've had this happen with a coyote on WHI myself- where I messed up was spooking it a couple times and something wigged out and I never found it, blood dried up and I gave up on it after almost an hour I think, I remember posting about it because I'd never seen an animal not die from an arrow ever.
"Out of all competitors, Radamus was the only one who got it I think" - BCKidd
"Ugh, I absolutely hate the thought that Radamus is right about this and I was wrong...!!!" Splainin2do
I can't afford a swear jar - xOEDragon
Spoiler:
TreeKiwi
Community Manager
Community Manager

Post by TreeKiwi »

I have shot a Bison from 50m with the .340 in the intestines and it didnt die.
Sherab86
Hunter

Post by Sherab86 »

I had the same with bobcats. I think, that in their case this is not a "glitch", or something occasional, but they are modeled this way - not sure intentionaly, or by accident.
gas56
Outfitter

Post by gas56 »

It can happen with a bullet, and there is only 1 or 2 times I've given up on tracking them as it does happen usually when the bullet just hits the body, even if the blood trail
says you've hit Heart & lungs, or some other vital organ, but there is a bug that can arise from time to time when the blood trail stops completely and the animal acts
like it hasn't been shot at all. Yesterday I shot a wolf with the ten-point crossbow beneath me in the tree stand and it ran for over a thousand meters then finally died.
I had shot it in the back of the skull by the neck bone dead center. When I recovered it the crossbow bolt(arrow) was where I had aimed and should have put it down on the spot.
Although it had only taken a skull shot hitbox which wasn't exactly where the bolt should have hit where the neck bone connects the skull. In the game there are no Arteries, Veins, for hitboxes, so if the bolt(arrow) doesn't register hitting the neck vertebrae or some other vital spot on the body then the animal will take its normal course of dying from body health with a bullet or arrow/bolt with the latter in most instances a kill
even if shot in a non-vital spot. It's just one of those things that doesn't make sense in the game but not everything, everytime, works like you think it should.
HD_Artworks
Outfitter

Post by HD_Artworks »

Eraser_SK wrote:I have something similiar with Coyote and lung shot (.30-30 Rifle )... 2-3 years ago. Sometime it happens ..

Look at wound time...

https://www.thehunter.com/#profile/stew ... /338554925
.30-30 and didn't die?! :? That is so annoying!
3888.536sec wound time! Wow! What a patience hunter!
Radamus wrote:I've had this happens with a coyote on WHI myself- where I messed up was spooking it a couple times and something wigged out and I never found it, blood dried up and I gave up on it after almost an hour I think, I remember posting about it because I'd never seen an animal not die from an arrow ever.
Yeah, I didn't seen an animal don't die from an arrow too!
This is a bug IMO and this is so annoying and could ruin hunting experience!
Wow, Len. You tracked that Coyote for almost an hour?!
I just track that Bobcat for about 20 minutes and it was so frustrating! :D
TreeKiwi wrote:I have shot a Bison from 50m with the .340 in the intestines and it didnt die.
I've seen this on a Bison too. But bobcats... :? They are so smaller and has less health.
Sherab86 wrote:I had the same with bobcats. I think, that in their case this is not a "glitch", or something occasional, but they are modeled this way - not sure intentionaly, or by accident.
I doubt that this was intentionally though. Because other players has the same problem with other animals.
I think this is kind of relative to the hitbox.
gas56 wrote:but there is a bug that can arise from time to time when the blood trail stops completely and the animal acts
like it hasn't been shot at all.
Well, I'm glad this bug didn't happened for me yet!
gas56 wrote:Yesterday I shot a wolf with the ten-point crossbow beneath me in the tree stand and it ran for over a thousand meters then finally died.
I had shot it in the back of the skull by the neck bone dead center. When I recovered it the crossbow bolt(arrow) was where I had aimed and should have put it down on the spot.
Although it had only taken a skull shot hitbox which wasn't exactly where the bolt should have hit where the neck bone connects the skull. In the game there are no Arteries, Veins, for hitboxes, so if the bolt(arrow) doesn't register hitting the neck vertebrae or some other vital spot on the body then the animal will take its normal course of dying from body health with a bullet or arrow/bolt with the latter in most instances a kill
even if shot in a non-vital spot. It's just one of those things that doesn't make sense in the game but not everything, everytime, works like it should.
Thanks for the info, gas.
Well, I really hope EW do something about animal hitboxes.
There are some bugs that didn't affect ameplay and hunting experience. But some bugs like this is really a problem and it can make the hunting so boring! :?
Season Stats
Spoiler:
Sherab86
Hunter

Post by Sherab86 »

HD_Artworks wrote:
Sherab86 wrote:I had the same with bobcats. I think, that in their case this is not a "glitch", or something occasional, but they are modeled this way - not sure intentionaly, or by accident.
I doubt that this was intentionally though. Because other players has the same problem with other animals.
I think this is kind of relative to the hitbox.
Yeah, but is this so repetitive with other animals? I suppose this might be partialy caused also by "player expectation" vs. "actual damage modeling". But if I shot a whitetail in the intenstines by a .243 rifle, and it drops eventualy, but If I shot a much smaller bobcat with the same weapon, and it keeps to live, and this is happening every time, than something is wrong to me. I do not claim that only bobcat were modeled to be somewhat too resiliant than they should. Maybe this goes also to some other animals. I only mean, that at least from my small experience, this happens every time in case of intestine shots with this particular animal - this is why I feel this is not any "occasional" issue, as I understand hitboxes issues, glitches and so on. But of course I can be totaly wrong - I did not shot many of them, and mostly those were instant drop shots to lungs and/or liver. I had maybe 3-4 those intenstine shots - and I've never collected those animals.
andrefrcaetano

Post by andrefrcaetano »

HD_Artworks wrote:Hi, everyone.
Today I decided to hunt some Bobcat. I spot a female bobcat in the distant and I place my E-Caller and go prone on the road to see it better.
After the bobcat come to the road I had a clear shot. So, I raise my .357 handgun and shoot her(about 140m). I see she spooked but with a very low speed. So, I realized the shot hit and I see the intestine blood track.
So, I was ready to harvest her but after a very long chasing, she didn't die!
Just check the map. The red dot is where I shot her and look how far I chase her and she was still alive and I still ID intestine blood track!

So, is it normal or it's kind of a bug?
I've also experienced things like this.
I know for a fact that a Body Shot from any .357 Handgun wont kill a Bobcat (at over 80/90m), but an intestine shot should take them down easily, but for some reason they just dont die. I find Bows and Crossbows the best weapon choice for Bobcat, because they dont make any noise and every hit is pretty much a confirmed kill, even if you hit them at like 150m and you get body, they will be down soon.

Similar stuff happen with both Coyote and Red Fox. Also, a lot of times when you aim perfectly at their vitals (Rib Cage zone) you will get body, specially on foxes, and it can be very frustrating.
Tanngnjostr
Master Hunter

Post by Tanngnjostr »

Seems that those cats have the same issue as the dogs in the game. Almost all animals eventually die from a vital hit (which includes intestines), but I have had this problem with red foxes and coyote several times. I don't think it's a feature, in my opinion it's a bug! It's been reported several times too, but doesn't seem to be worth fixing... :(
Image Image Image

Return to “General Chat”