Christmas Event 2017

General chat about The Hunter. For suggestions, please use the "Suggestions"-room below.
pirahna590
Hunter

Christmas Event 2017

Post by pirahna590 »

Yeah, Im giving up on this rigged event. I've completed day 1 and 2, working on day 3, put some hunts in after completing day 1 and 2 and theres STILL a 40k gap between myself and the top of the leaderboard. I'm sorry, I have a life with responsibilities to such, it IS almost xmas with all the holiday shopping I need to do, not to mention traveling during the holidays ... this event IS rigged to cater to those who have no such responsibilities ... I mean, come on .. WHO has the time to put in 12 hour hunts, 25 days out of the month, during xmas holiday season?????? Dont get me wrong, it is an impressive holiday event, a lot of work an thought put into it ... but not even close to something someone with life responsibilities could even DREAM of trying to accomplish ... Count me out, Id rather spend the $10 to get the new gun then to just push my responsibilities to the side for some game. Way to go Devs, you missed the mark on this one for those of us with a life
Mills
Outfitter

Re: Christmas Event 2017

Post by Mills »

You do know there's comps where you have a chance at getting on the leaderboard if you get lucky and find a decent animal. As for myself I know that I have no chance at placing on the leaderboard for the main event. However, every year I just make it my goal to complete the daily mission/comp to get the 240,000 point Christmas trophy. And who knows maybe I'll get lucky and get a decent score for one of the side comps. It's still worth playing just for those reasons. Just my two cents. Hopefully you'll see some value in my post.
Pittie
Hunter

Post by Pittie »

pirahna590 wrote:Yeah, Im giving up on this rigged event. I've completed day 1 and 2, working on day 3, put some hunts in after completing day 1 and 2 and theres STILL a 40k gap between myself and the top of the leaderboard. I'm sorry, I have a life with responsibilities to such, it IS almost xmas with all the holiday shopping I need to do, not to mention traveling during the holidays ... this event IS rigged to cater to those who have no such responsibilities ... I mean, come on .. WHO has the time to put in 12 hour hunts, 25 days out of the month, during xmas holiday season?????? Dont get me wrong, it is an impressive holiday event, a lot of work an thought put into it ... but not even close to something someone with life responsibilities could even DREAM of trying to accomplish ... Count me out, Id rather spend the $10 to get the new gun then to just push my responsibilities to the side for some game. Way to go Devs, you missed the mark on this one for those of us with a life
I agree. Many times I suggest timelimited competitions, like 5 sessions and every session max 2 real hours. 10 hours for a whole competition is more than enough.
Regards Pittie
Sorry for my english

pirahna590
Hunter

Post by pirahna590 »

Mills wrote:You do know there's comps where you have a chance at getting on the leaderboard if you get lucky and find a decent animal. As for myself I know that I have no chance at placing on the leaderboard for the main event. However, every year I just make it my goal to complete the daily mission/comp to get the 240,000 point Christmas trophy. And who knows maybe I'll get lucky and get a decent score for one of the side comps. It's still worth playing just for those reasons. Just my two cents. Hopefully you'll see some value in my post.
Yeah, with exception to a couple comps I joined recently, its been YEARS since I even CONSIDERED joining comps. Like this event, comps are, IMO, ruined by those who have wayyyyyyyyy too much free time on their hands. EW needs to think of those who have a life, a job, a wife thats already shooting me looks with what time I DO invest into this game, an she plays this game lol. And theres another issue to boot, when ever I join any comp, any hunt I go on until the comp ends has nothing but low scoring animals, but the minute the comp ends, Im back to harvesting normal to decent scoring animals. This issue I do NOT get, at all lol. Go look at my trophy page ... Ive been playing this game for 7 years, and yet I barely have 6 trophies and those were from back when I had all the time in the world to play this game. I dont claim to have an answer to any of this, just wish EW would do something to level the playing field for those of us that dont have exorbitant amounts of time ... I mean, they implement a game balance with the guns, but do nothing about time. Speaking of which, most comps start at 2am my time ... Im in bed sleeping lol, even if I get up at 6am, those on the leaderboard for said comp already have a 4 hour head start, and an additional 4 more hours as I tend to crash by 10pm, with the comp ending at 2am. Maybe comps need to be more regional specific to give others a chance?
RidgeBack69
Outfitter

Post by RidgeBack69 »

I have let me feelings be know about the event so I won't go into them here simply because it is the same every year.
If you want to chase jolly points then you need to kill ibex and lots of them. If you do all the missions and side comps you get 250,000 jolly points just from those plus all the animals you kill. that alone should get you some sort of prize.
Spoiler:
Pupic
Hunter

Post by Pupic »

pirahna590 wrote:Go look at my trophy page ... Ive been playing this game for 7 years, and yet I barely have 6 trophies and those were from back when I had all the time in the world to play this game. I dont claim to have an answer to any of this, just wish EW would do something to level the playing field for those of us that dont have exorbitant amounts of time ...
Don`t get me wrong or anything but i did checked your profile and you seem to spend an average of 13 hours/month playing this game. I can`t even imagine what should EW invent to "level the playing field" to suit you.
The way you play this game excludes you from any kind of competitiveness and nothing will change that fact unless you actually start putting your time and effort in it.

Btw. since you joined the "Everyone that plays TH more than me has no life" Club i would give you some insight with me as an example.
Started playing TH 9 years ago when my first son was born (all the sleepless nights being a new dad, checking the baby is breathing every 5 min. and so on... :D ) i found TH as something to relax and enjoy.....
Since then i got 3 more kids and i am still here, working a full time state job, running a small private business, camping and fishing whenever i find the time and strength to do so - but most often resting in armchair and enjoying TH.
I don`t watch TV, or listen radio, i don`t play any other game, don`t check FB or Twitter or search some random YouTube videos - i play TH, more often than not at the cost of few sleeping hours but who cares, its my `thing ......
And if those UHC stats are correct i am owner of 629 TH trophies + one in progress :D
Does that make me a no-lifer?

.....Regarding competitions (especially the big events like this one), i would not bother myself with them, the requirements and time needed to do it and place yourself in top 100 just to get a pack of camping supplies is ridiculous so why would you waste your time on that. Just pick up the daily comps and enjoy yourself (+ with 25 days of sales there is a pretty big chance everyone will get something at discount......if you ask me that itself is a pretty nice holiday gesture to suit everyone ;) )
InvisibleFlame9
Hunter

Post by InvisibleFlame9 »

pirahna590 wrote:
Yeah, with exception to a couple comps I joined recently, its been YEARS since I even CONSIDERED joining comps. Like this event, comps are, IMO, ruined by those who have wayyyyyyyyy too much free time on their hands.
In many ways I see your point. And you have made it well clear. Thing I don't like is your comparing your life with others and making them sound LESS by comparison to you. That's disrespectful. Also it's not the 'players' ruining your experience of the competition. If anything it's the people who designed the competition. Don't get me wrong, I don't have the time myself to keep up with the letterboards. That's no one's fault. It's a game involving MANY people who participate. Chill out and have fun! So you enter the competition....play the game and enjoy it! No one is 'entitled' to place on the letterboard.
Sherab86
Hunter

Post by Sherab86 »

After few tries I no longer participate in "normal" competitions, even that I have a lot of time to play. I still have enough after two to three sessions of 2-3 hours of "intense playing", so to speak. Too exhausting, with small chance to score a trophy. Not for me. :P

But those Christmas events are somewhat special, so I do participate. Counting a little bit on luck, and that somehow I gather enough of those JollyPoints to actualy "win" something. ;) And this gives me those additional feeling of having a goal, with I've lost partialy by purchasing the membership.

I only regret that even holiday events missions and/or competitions are not accessible for every player - I mean, that there are some equipment or other requirements, so again players with already put a lot of money into the game are favored. Don't take me wrong - this is probably quite fair as such - for normal competitions and missions. But I would expect that at least holiday events would be more acccessible for players with smaller budget, or simply not having all of equipment yet. :(
caledonianblues
Master Hunter

Post by caledonianblues »

The event definitely caters more to people with a lot of free time, but so what? That hardly makes the whole thing rigged. Someone unemployed with a limited income could argue that the store prices cater more to you since you have a job. Would you prefer if the event was entirely based on luck, rather than input? Or if there was a time limit so players with more free time were subjected to the same time constrains your lifestyle imposes on you? Because whilst that might suit you, I can imagine a lot of players not being too impressed by that prospect. Especially those who are retired after working their entire lives. There really is no way to please everyone. If your lifestyle makes it impossible for you to compete in this event, just let it pass by and wait for another.

This is a computer game. Asking Expansive Worlds to cater to people who have limited time to play computer games is a kind of odd expectation in my opinion. I get what you're saying about balance, but I don't think there's a solution. If people want to spend 12 hours per day chasing a digital trophy and a rifle that you'll be able to buy in a few months, let them do it. I'm going to do the missions and get a ranking in the competitions, and will settle for the first trophy. Time is the most valuable commodity we have, and it's up to us to decide how we want to spend it.

Your point about not finding big trophy animals during competitions is also one many have made before, myself included. It's just perception though. The spawns are not influenced by whether or not you're enrolled in competitions. It's just the random number generator not playing ball with you. There was a similar thread recently about rares. Some players seem to find dozens of them, others spend years searching and still never find them.

Just try to enjoy any part of the event you can. There's no point in getting worked up about the event not being fair. Not much in this world is.
pirahna590
Hunter

Post by pirahna590 »

ok, I can see I should have worded this a bit differently, so I want to take this time to clarify something rather important to me ... I do not think of those with more time to play this game as anything lesser then me. Im not one to judge people, with the exception to rapist and child molesters, I think we are ALL created equally. I think my frustration with the competition itself was misconstrued-ed with the players of this game ... and by this I again will clarify, I dont think less of anyone for being able to play this game for 12+ hours a day. Heck, I used to be one of those who played 12 hours or more a day, very well aware there are MANY valid reasons why one may have more time to play this then others, and so there for I dont judge the personally for being able to do so. I also wasnt complaining about my life, as I love my life ... but there IS an unfair advantage to those who CAN play more then others ... again, I used to be one of those playrs who did put this kind of time in.

I'll apologize for anyone thinking I think less of them for their ability to play countless hours, this was never the case ... just wish the comps and events could be more user friendly for those who do have life responsibilities that would deter them from being able to compete as others who do have more time on their hands. Again, not judging them but the situation at hand. Do I think it would be fair for EW to implement a more time sensitive comp/event to level the playing field for those with less time, yes I do. Do I think ALL comps/events should be based on a say 8-10 hour event ... no of course not ... I did say I didnt have the answer for this, wish I did. But to wrap this up, I never intended to disrespect ANYONE here in this game ... or even EW

Return to “General Chat”