What Is Your Strange 'Ritual' In The Game?

General chat about The Hunter. For suggestions, please use the "Suggestions"-room below.
Sherab86
Hunter

Re: What Is Your Strange 'Ritual' In The Game?

Post by Sherab86 »

ruichi wrote:I have no strange ritual in the game. I guess I am as rational as in real life. Boring :)
Depends how one will look at this. For example in (central) Europe it is that tradition with hunting horns (musical instrument). While it had also some practical usage in the past, It can be seen as somewhat ritualised behavior. ;) I mean only, that IRL there are also some "rituals" people obey, often regardless of do they are rational in all other aspects of life. ;)

If I can depict an image of a hunter, and hunting attitude that I could somehow realy respect IRL, I think about (much colorised picture for sure) native Americans and they pre-colonial believes, with would require to show respect to hunted animal. Hence, my in-game "ritual" at Hemmeldal. ;)
ruichi wrote: I have the ritual of hunting on the different reserves according to the season of the year, though. I look for the feeling of realism. Now going to Hemmeldal and WRR next :)
So you DO have "ritual"after all! ;) I was thinking about the same, but since I finaly have purchased those membership, this approach feels a little bit to restrictive to me. :P But I like the idea, and maybe I'll try - after all, I realy have troubles with deciding where I want to hunt, and what I want to hunt - never liked to have too big choice. ;)
ruichi

Post by ruichi »

Sherab86 wrote:
ruichi wrote: I have the ritual of hunting on the different reserves according to the season of the year, though. I look for the feeling of realism. Now going to Hemmeldal and WRR next :)
So you DO have "ritual"after all! ;) I was thinking about the same, but since I finaly have purchased those membership, this approach feels a little bit to restrictive to me. :P But I like the idea, and maybe I'll try - after all, I realy have troubles with deciding where I want to hunt, and what I want to hunt - never liked to have too big choice. ;)
You should try it, if you're an immersion freak like me. Of course having an anual subscription helps.
As I normaly hunt walking, I go to every corner of the reserve, carrying a tent and not minding the spawning maps of the animals. Taking the time to explore a reserve completely before going to the next is real fun and almost feel like a new game each few weeks :).
TheSheWolf
Hunter

Post by TheSheWolf »

InvisibleFlame9 wrote:3 sitka, 9 moose, and 8 bison later....I'm all out of ammo for my 300. and only 1 round of arrows left for my bow...drawing close to the end of the hunt....I see an albino bison. Would you backtrack hundreds of meters to go find where that guy ran off to and go for the chase with only a bow left and something like 6 arrows? I have a feeling this will be a LONG chase. I'm so tempted to go back.

*edit I actually now that I check have 2 full rounds of arrows (20)...this might work out but still a long chase. I'm even more tempted.
Run right up, let him turn to charge you, plug him in the skull. Easy! :lol: Congrats on the kill!

I have rangefinder in 4, because I use my bullpup x50 for spotting, really. Deer call 6, other calls 7, usually predator in 8 and scents or whatever after. I don't know if I have a ritual so much as just having those in the same slots out of habit for muscle memory, like keybinding in any game. I AM ocd so I also have to get _every_ collectible I see, but there's no real reason not to.

One "ritual," though, I suppose, is that I have habitual routes I form for each map, and generally follow them. That's probably not unusual, but with less familiar maps or when just starting one out I really enjoy roaming blindly, so I'm not sure why I wind up with set routes.
Sherab86
Hunter

Post by Sherab86 »

ruichi wrote:
Sherab86 wrote:
You should try it, if you're an immersion freak like me. Of course having an anual subscription helps.
As I normaly hunt walking, I go to every corner of the reserve, carrying a tent and not minding the spawning maps of the animals. Taking the time to explore a reserve completely before going to the next is real fun and almost feel like a new game each few weeks :).
Yeah, I've already started. ;) I play almost exlusively in Hemmeldal since couple of days now. But I must admitt, that I've already broken the restriction yesterday to participate in event competition - I did go to Val-des-Buas for red fox and to WRR for Arctic fox. ;)

However, this kind of restriction brings back a little bit a feel of adventure I had with guest account. :) Of course I can hunt all animals in Hemmeldal having membership, but I've focused on Reindeer mostly, and I've felt in love with it. ;) In similar way, but on different basis, as my love to Wild Boars (this love already have died a little bit ;P ) in guest account time. ;)

I think that my variant of yours "ritual" will be looking more like: "one main reserve dictated by IRL season, plus 1-2 more with some favored species for occasional diversity".

But I definitely like it. Thanks for for posting this - I was thinking about this earlier, but your post gived me a "punch" to go. ;)
Violator31
Outfitter

Post by Violator31 »

I saw this thread the other day & meant to get back to it later, then it fell off my radar until now....
I too have the equipment ritual;
4 = rangefinder binos
5 = scent eliminator
6 = spotting scope
7, 8, & 9 = callers ranging from smallest critter (7) to largest (9)
Weapons = #1 most powerful gun (for the biggest critter) #2 almost always a bow (occasionally something like the .223)
I NEVER pass up any of the collectables.
In videos & live streams it drives my OCD self crazy when I see someone rifling through the keys trying to find their elk caller -- It's #8... IT'S NUMBER EIGHT!!! Right next to the Moose caller in 9... EIGHT------EIGHT ALREADY!!! :evil: :evil:
( :roll: )
Signature Stats
Spoiler:
InvisibleFlame9
Hunter

Post by InvisibleFlame9 »

TheSheWolf wrote:
Run right up, let him turn to charge you, plug him in the skull. Easy! :lol: Congrats on the kill!

I AM ocd so I also have to get _every_ collectible I see, but there's no real reason not to.

One "ritual," though, I suppose, is that I have habitual routes I form for each map, and generally follow them. That's probably not unusual, but with less familiar maps or when just starting one out I really enjoy roaming blindly, so I'm not sure why I wind up with set routes.
Thanks! And same here. I Love the 'collectables' feature in the game and being able to find rare things lying around really adds to the experience. And it's hard not to have set routs as each map seems to have unique features that have advantages.

That 'Leucistic Bison' looks really good in my trophy lodge. I'm learning that anytime I see a rare fure variation it's worth it and to drop everything for that animal. There has been a number of times where I let a rare animal get away either because I was picking up a mushroom...tracking a wounded animal....or generally just doing something dumb. LOL

I'm falling in Love with bow hunting in this game. I aspire to become an inuit in whiterime ridge with the outfit...the cable backed bow...and all. They just need to add 'igloos'. That would be a fun addition to see. Other than that, I'm going for the trapper life in the hunter. I could care less about most of the guns...but the bows I get excited about.
supercelldrw
Hunter

Post by supercelldrw »

DanthemanBoone wrote:Never log in to the area I'm going to hunt.
Got to the nearest lodge, Load my guns, pick my gear, let the dog off and spray the scent reducer, then fast travel to the tent of choice and start hunting.
I would say 75% of the time an animal will call as I arrive.
The initial spawning in clears the animals around the spawn point, but fast travel to a tent has no effect whatsoever.
This is so true
Spoiler:
supercelldrw
Hunter

Post by supercelldrw »

My scent eliminator is always 5 and binoculars are 8
Spoiler:
InvisibleFlame9
Hunter

Post by InvisibleFlame9 »

Violator31 wrote: ********
In videos & live streams it drives my OCD self crazy when I see someone rifling through the keys trying to find their elk caller -- It's #8... IT'S NUMBER EIGHT!!! Right next to the Moose caller in 9... EIGHT------EIGHT ALREADY!!! :evil: :evil:
LOL!
If only you could right them a ticket for that! :lol:
InstinctiveArcher
Outfitter

Post by InstinctiveArcher »

InvisibleFlame9 wrote:
Violator31 wrote: ********
LOL!
If only you could right them a ticket for that! :lol:
No no no you guys have it all wrong. Elk and red deer are ALWAYS spot 6. Moose goes in 8. The only time there should ever be anything other than scent spray in slot 9 is when you're duck hunting and have a call there! :lol:

In hunting, impossible doesn't exist any more than a sure thing does. - Tom Miranda

Return to “General Chat”