How fast in-game projectiles are? - To discuss some of game mechanics.

General chat about The Hunter. For suggestions, please use the "Suggestions"-room below.
Sherab86
Hunter

How fast in-game projectiles are? - To discuss some of game mechanics.

Post by Sherab86 »

First of all I want to make clear this are not suggestions, bug reports or whatsoever. I just want to share with you some of my impressions, and confirm/deny them, and discuss them. Some of the "issues" might be subject of already existent threads. If so, I do appologize - I simply want to close in all my concerns in this one, single thread.

I want to start from sharing with you this Score Sheet:

https://www.thehunter.com/#profile/sher ... /575175958

And I want you to note three shots I've taken on this bison male. Actualy, I can accept that first two could be bad placed. Second one was also from very long distance at running away animal, so wasn't carefuly aimed of course. However earlier, with other animals, I'm sure that my aim were correct for broad side lung shots, at ranges of about 60-70 meters, and they've ended as body shots too. And ok, maybe bisons are that tough in the game. But tell me than, how it is possible that this third shot at presented male, from 126 meters, got to the lung and the heart? Do Bisons have a kind of "fat shield" as it is implemented for Wild Boars and Feral Hogs? Because it is hard for me to explain this third shot (at angled away, running of animal) otherwise.

And as we mentioned a toughness. What do you think about how animals are represented in the game when it comes to "how much they can take". This question goes mainly to IRL hunters I believe. It is rather hard task to characterize all animals at once. But for example, I have impression that in game Wild Boars are greatly "OP". I saw all that YouTube videos from IRL driven hunts, and I can hardly imagine something like this for in-game animals. I've seen also that Nosler advertises its .243 hunting cartridges also for feral hogs. But in game even with my new 7mm RM Stambecco I need to realy well place the shot to penetrate both lungs. In-game Wild Boars are generaly bigger by avarage than IRL ones, but still - those 210 kg (and more) beasts seems to be more tough than 450 kg elk for example. I don't want to judge this in terms of gameplay - this might be fuly intentional for some reason. But how this look compared with IRL?
From other hand, even those 450 kg elks tend to drop down on place after double lung shot with 7mm RM, and IRL in most cases they would probably run at least couple of meters.

And finaly, the subject of thread's title. A've noted, that even at close ranges I need to take quite a big lead to hit a animal where I want to if it is moving - running or trotting especialy. Earlier I was explaining this to myself (with longer shots) by wind effect and distance. But recently I was shooting at a moose with was passing by 10 meters maybe. Was aiming for the chest. He wasn't fuly broadside to me at the moment of shot, but still I don't know how this could end as intestines shot. And If I recall correctly, I didn't even touch the lungs. Are projectiles slower than IRL? Or maybe this delay might be caused by graphical settings? I would prefer not to lower them, because by the most part the game is fluent for me with current ones. But still... :/
Ravenousfox
Outfitter

Re: How fast in-game projectiles are? - To discuss some of game mechanics.

Post by Ravenousfox »

1. It's difficult to judge where you hit the Bison during the shot without any video footage.
2. Yes, I've seen some crazy/strange results from this game before.
3. I'd say it's because of game balance, 80lbs bow can drop elk in the chest easy but a bunny in the chest? nope. Heck even a Roe Deer double lung doesn't drop. :lol:
I have over 1337 kills with my Longbow at 100% kill rate.
My YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPHtNC ... RQ3X3b0TjQ
My Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/rav_fox
Sherab86
Hunter

Post by Sherab86 »

Ravenousfox wrote:1. It's difficult to judge where you hit the Bison during the shot without any video footage.
Yes, I'm aware of this. But I never was recording for public display (for YouTube for example), so don't have "know how" yet. And I didn't even thought I will need it. :P

But main question was - how it is possible that this 126m shot penetrated, but those 60 meters don't?
InvisibleFlame9
Hunter

Post by InvisibleFlame9 »

Where's the forensic experts when you need them hey? ;)
Tod1d
Lead Moderator
Lead Moderator

Post by Tod1d »

Again, without video it's hard to even speculate. Perhaps the 1st shot (63m) hit the shoulder blade? and the 3rd shot (126m) hit behind the ribs and angled toward the heart with no solid obstructions?
For clarity, the shots on the scoresheet were in order: 2, 3, 1

It's very possible that the in-game projectiles do not travel at real world speeds, or that lag in the algorithm or lag due to communication causes projectiles to hit animals later than expected.
I have noticed many shots on moving, even just walking/roaming animals, when aimed at the heart end up hitting intestines.

I really miss the wound decals. I haven't seen one in a while. If nothing more than a little feedback on exactly where you hit.
It's "Tod", with one bloody 'd'!
InvisibleFlame9
Hunter

Post by InvisibleFlame9 »

Tod1d wrote:I really miss the wound decals. I haven't seen one in a while. If nothing more than a little feedback on exactly where you hit.
By wound 'decals' do you mean seeing the blood (wound) on the animal as you hit it? I saw this today through my scope when I hit a whitetail in the chest. I saw the blood marking the puncture wound through my scope as I hit it. It was a pretty close shot too.
pirahna590
Hunter

Post by pirahna590 »

Yeah Ive had some shots that confused me too, theres many variables that can alter the point of impact of the bullet here in the game ... animal moving or still, how fast is it moving, the angle of the shot, distance ... all play variables but yes, theres been a few that I felt were no way accurate as to where the shot should have landed, a few of those were animals that, at the time of the shot, werent moving and should have been double lung/heart shots, to only track the animal down and find its intestines. Going back and looking at the spreadsheet, it would say animal was moving, though in my view, at time of shot, it wasnt. I supposed, and was told, that the animal probably started walking when I took my shot, leading to a hit further behind in the body then was intending. Dunno if I still agree with many of those off shots but its just a game an theres going to be glitches an what not
Sherab86
Hunter

Post by Sherab86 »

Yes, I'm aware this is a game, of course.
:)

That's why I didn't want to discuss animals toughness gameplay wise, but more to just compare with IRL. Because I realise that in-game animal's can be more tough to compensate for they AI, setting their were put into and so on. I was just curious how do you, IRL hunters, judge their toughness compared with IRL experiences.

Ok, there can be some glitches and so on, but this "lead" problem seems to occur regulary to me. I try to shot only standing animals, but not always it is possible. And this exagerated lead is very unintuitive.

Oh, and with the bison. To bad I didn' record this. But so it is. Can't help it. I can tell you only, that this first shot was under and behind the armpit, from very low position to animal slightly angled away from me - hence I think I could aim to low. But as I wrote, I had earlier no doubt broad side shots, in the area occupied by lungs (if we believe the drawings). And there was no shoulder blade shot indicated, only body shots. This is why I wonder do bisons have similar "shield" like Wild Boars.
DanthemanBoone
Outfitter

Post by DanthemanBoone »

People have been complaining about the hit boxes since day 1. The main organs appear to have a propensity to jump out of the way when they see the bullet coming.
Shots that can be taken in real life such as the front on heart shot or a quartering shot from behind through the ribs into the lungs, seldom give a realistic result.
Side on ( broadside ) shots into the lungs will often return intestine (liver ) or just body . 243 versus Mule and Whitetail is a classic example.

Fragmentation is missing completely so the best result you will get is more in line with a FMJ which means only organs directly along the path of the projectile should be hit, but even that is questionable, as how some organs can be included in a straight line path is often a mystery.
The only way to get consistant results is to find the shot that gives the best percentage of kills. For me the neck bone shots on deer are the most rewarding. Heart shots with Bows on bears and Moose are another. Pigs, right between the eyes with a slug, crossbow or heavy caliber rifle. and so on.

As an example , pigs come to the call slowly, stopping often, approach head on and are low to the ground. The downward head shot option puts The brain, The neck bones heart lungs and intestines all in the line of fire and often takes all of them out.
Experimenting to find the best combination for each animal and its behaviors, weapon and organ will increase your success rate.
Just dont think that the real life rules apply.
The only way to get results close to real life comparisons is to use a much more powerful weapon than that which would be required in real life. ( unless its a shotgun slug and then the results often exceed any 12g slug that I have ever used.)

As far as speed of projectiles, I find the amount of lead required is about right. I have a large amount of real life experience with hunting and find that using my instinctive judgement of the amount of lead required in real life, works just as well in the game for me.
Old hunters never die.They just sit around the campfires and tell the biggest lies.
Sherab86
Hunter

Post by Sherab86 »

DanthemanBoone wrote:As far as speed of projectiles, I find the amount of lead required is about right. I have a large amount of real life experience with hunting and find that using my instinctive judgement of the amount of lead required in real life, works just as well in the game for me.
Maybe so. Still I wonder do we experience same amount of lead needed - if this is somehow influanced by graphic card or processor speciffication .

For example I've took this lady:
https://www.thehunter.com/#profile/sher ... /574395170

with was just walking (no trotting or runing) aiming more less in front of her nose (she was more less broad side to me). And you see on trophy shot where I hit her. I don't want to do a math now, but at 64 meters the lead required shouldn't be about a few centimeters maybe? I have no real life experience, so don't know. But I suppose I will have to "learn" the lead, and not to count on my intuition to much. :/

As an example , pigs come to the call slowly, stopping often, approach head on and are low to the ground. The downward head shot option puts The brain, The neck bones heart lungs and intestines all in the line of fire and often takes all of them out.
Yes, I've already discovered, that brain shots are quite good way to put them down. Compared to some other animals in the game, their brains are quite large. Still, I consider this risky bussiness and prefer to take my position at the side. But I've started to wonder if (in game only) intentional intestines shots are not better choice for them, than lungs ones. Yes, they will bleed longer, but job will be done (with enough "damaging" caliber), and there is no that "fat shield" behind the chest region I think.
The only way to get results close to real life comparisons is to use a much more powerful weapon than that which would be required in real life. ( unless its a shotgun slug and then the results often exceed any 12g slug that I have ever used.)
Than those are sad news for me. :/ However I find 12ga shotgun slugs somewhat strange - I assume you are refering to penetration, but from other hand their "damage" seems to be smaller than for example 7mm RM. Don't know exactly why. We don't know exact model for slugs, but in general they are of much bigger diameter than 7mm RM, and they also expand to some point (normal slugs made of lead). So while having much worse penetration capabilities, they should be rather more devastating to internal organs when they do penetrate deep enough, and even with body shots cause more bleeding. And this is opposite in the game. :/

Return to “General Chat”