Goose hunting, long time between flocks.

General chat about The Hunter. For suggestions, please use the "Suggestions"-room below.
TreeKiwi
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Goose hunting, long time between flocks.

Post by TreeKiwi »

ronMctube wrote:a little tip it works (some will say its coincidence i proved it many times even done it in dev live stream ;) ) when ducks or geese don't come in its because another animal is in the area.by that i mean wild boar , deer.this is when you haven't had a break or seen a duck or goose for some time. take a gun and fire it a few times this should spook whatever is in your area. shortly after geese or ducks will come in. i dont know exactly why the animals other than the birds you after wont come in while whatever animal is in the radius but i have done this repeatable hundreds of times.

Say whaaaaat??? Often I have a Roe or Red roaring around me, usually I don't bother with them because I don't have a caller. I don't have any problems calling the Geese in and they break off no problem? How did you prove this out of curiosity?
ronMctube
Chat Logger

Post by ronMctube »

try it yourself also if no geese are around check what other animals are in your area.often will be a deer or pig species. ;)

in dev live stream we had no geese for over ten minutes. i said wait..let me try something.fired two or three shotgun shots and geese came straight in 10 seconds after.many notice it some don't believe it works.as said if you havent had a flock for a long period like ten minutes try it. ;)
JaggyBunnet
Tracker

Post by JaggyBunnet »

Lots of helpful advice guys, thanks !

The field I chose up in that corner was a result of seeing MonacoSteve's Hirschfelden set up in the forum. It allows me to keep the goose decoys well away from the pig feeder, and uses one less tent, but if I have to move it I will.

http://forum.thehunter.com/viewtopic.ph ... 5&start=10

Has anyone else used this field, what did you think of it ?

There could be a combination of things I need to look at, other than just the field being smaller than those in the centre of the map, currently occupied by the piggies.
Knut
Outfitter

Post by Knut »

TreeKiwi wrote:
ronMctube wrote:a little tip it works (some will say its coincidence i proved it many times even done it in dev live stream ;) ) when ducks or geese don't come in its because another animal is in the area.by that i mean wild boar , deer.this is when you haven't had a break or seen a duck or goose for some time. take a gun and fire it a few times this should spook whatever is in your area. shortly after geese or ducks will come in. i dont know exactly why the animals other than the birds you after wont come in while whatever animal is in the radius but i have done this repeatable hundreds of times.

Say whaaaaat??? Often I have a Roe or Red roaring around me, usually I don't bother with them because I don't have a caller. I don't have any problems calling the Geese in and they break off no problem? How did you prove this out of curiosity?
Same here. At my duck hunting spot there's generally always a hog milling around when I start. It's been greeting me the last 3 hunts there (very loyal fella, waiting all this time for my return) and ducks passed and broke off the flock to land while it was there.

I'd like to see a bit more convincing evidence on that claim, too. Chances are that if you waited 10mins+ for waterfowl, they'll come in any second, whether you shoot or not. You'd need a rather high repetition of experiments where you either shoot or not and measure the time until the next flock comes flying. If that's significantly shorter when you shot, then we're talking.
“Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'" ― Isaac Asimov
ronMctube
Chat Logger

Post by ronMctube »

as said its not like its been done a couple of times its every time for years ! the geese ducks come straight after.funny thing is in other live streams no geese ducks. " fire a shot " oh its just a old witch tale or rumor 10 secs after geese come in live on stream :lol:

the thing is with this game there is things that arent supposed to happen but do regardless. for eg i seen a coyote walk across elk meadow once on its back legs.apparently it cant happen.even though i had a picture of it doing it :D

try it. if it works for you great.if it doesn't you haven't lost anything.you only have to gain from it if you have no ducks or geese coming in.this is not for a 1 -2 minutes nothing coming in this is for when you get that " why the hell arent nothing coming ?? " then you fire a few shots and see how shortly afterwards they come in.
Levado
Scout

Post by Levado »

Knut wrote:I'd like to see a bit more convincing evidence on that claim, too. Chances are that if you waited 10mins+ for waterfowl, they'll come in any second, whether you shoot or not. You'd need a rather high repetition of experiments where you either shoot or not and measure the time until the next flock comes flying. If that's significantly shorter when you shot, then we're talking.
Exactly my thoughts Knut. ;)

I've killed close to 10,000 ducks, many times I had deer and hogs nearby and it never stopped ducks from breaking the flock and coming down in most cases, the same story with the more than two thousand geese I killed, so I would like to see more convincing proof too, because right now I'm not convinced, sorry, but if others think that it works for them, go ahead.
Hunter Score 71k+ ● Playing Since 2009 ● Favorite Species: all deer
HooCairs
Champion Hunter

Post by HooCairs »

My experience is that other animals in the area won't stop the flocks, but shooting in the air helps spooking settled flocks. These flocks then leave the render range which triggers new flocks to come in. This works sometimes after playing for a bit of time. I have never done a dedicated experiment though. After shooting in the air how can you know the flock appearing next wouldn't have come, but what does it hurt to shoot and startle everything in the area. :)
My Youtube theHunter Wiki
Spoiler:
Levado
Scout

Post by Levado »

HooCairs wrote:but what does it hurt to shoot and startle everything in the area
Stats, some care about it.
HooCairs
Champion Hunter

Post by HooCairs »

Levado wrote:
HooCairs wrote:but what does it hurt to shoot and startle everything in the area
Stats, some care about it.
Sure but if you hunt waterfowl you shouldn't worry about your shotgun stats too much or you will bag a lot less birds.
My Youtube theHunter Wiki
Spoiler:
Levado
Scout

Post by Levado »

HooCairs wrote:Sure but if you hunt waterfowl you shouldn't worry about your shotgun stats too much or you will bag a lot less birds.
That's beyond the point. Nevertheless, what makes you assume that everybody wants to bag as many ducks as possible? Not everybody is interested in a hunter score or achievement. I know quite some people who just allow the ducks to land and then only focus on the ones with the highest scoring potential, I've seen it a few times while competing in "Top Ducks - Elite". Different players, different styles, different skills, different goals, different setups, etc. ;)

Return to “General Chat”