A first for me.

General chat about The Hunter. For suggestions, please use the "Suggestions"-room below.
Seifer
Hunter

A first for me.

Post by Seifer »

I haven't been playing this game as long as some others have. Been playing on and off since around July 2013. Only recently have I been able to put some real time into this hunting game which I find to be the best hunting game I've ever played over the years by far but just a moment ago I felt compelled to stop what I was doing to vent my frustration. It doesn't show very well but I've circled where my first shot was placed as you can see is was from about 72m and as far as I can tell it was perfectly broadside. So here I am enrolled in the Mid November Madness 2017 competition which requires 100% harvest value on harvested animals and I'm going for a double lung shot trying to drop this Bison on the spot with a .340 Weatherby but as you can see in the second pic that it indicates that my shot was placed in the intestines. A little disappointed I begin to track this bison with my trusty scent hound and after a short while my dog stops tracking. I figure no big deal, this has happened before with this type of shot so I give her the command to track again only to find that she can't/won't pick up the scent again. The only time this has happened to me before is a poor shot on my part (body shot) where the animal bleeds for a bit then stops bleeding. I've found in the past that anytime a vital organ was hit the animal continued to bleed out and I've always been able to track it to the end. I guess I'm frustrated for a couple reasons here which don't normally bother me (due to the competition). One is my first shot being in the intestines which I felt to be a lung shot and the second reason is my dog stopped tracking completely which doesn't normally happen with a vital shot. I'll continue my hunt this evening but this just kinda took the wind outta me for now. Don't mind me just felt like talking out loud. Happy Hunting.

Spoiler:

Don't mind me, I'm just thinking out loud ;) Mike (Seifer210) ♉
gas56
Outfitter

Re: A first for me.

Post by gas56 »

Seifer wrote: One is my first shot being in the intestines which I felt to be a lung shot ]
From one thing I can see in that picture is that it looks like you also hit it in the front leg and broke it,..
Look how it's pointing forward. ......... :lol:
Terzi1985
Scout

Post by Terzi1985 »

There has been quite a massive hitbox error/bug thing going on for a long while, actually for years and in my honest opinion it seems to be getting worse and worse. I've been lately bowhunting black bears and brown bears quite a lot and honestly about 70-90% of the shots ALWAYS end up having insestines hit for some reason. 10 solid vital hits from broadside angles and 7/10, 8/10 or even 9/10 of the shots seem to result guts hit too, even though that would be literally impossible to happen in real life. The damage on animals look like the animals get hit by multiple different arrows at completely different locations.

I also seem to get grazy results with some firearms too, and it happens so often it's not even funny anymore. My point is, I have had ZERO trust on the game's capability to detect the hits correctly anymore, that problem has been there for years and now it's seems like the shots are systematically registered incorrectly producing very VERY weird results all the time. First time I reported these problems was back when the Blaser R8 had came out, it's been a loooooooooooong time and it's only got 100x worse since then. I'm losing hope for seeing the devs actually fixing it.

And my opinion on the scent hound dog, it's pretty useless for it's purpose, mine is now on level 19 and it performs way worse than it seemed on levels 1-5 back then when I bought it. Those less than perfect shots and poor bloodtrails are EXACTLY the situations when you would need a dog the most, that is when the dog is the most useless in the game, losing the track every time is quaranteed. It just doesn't work like it should. What's the use for a dog when it can only track well those bloodtrails that you can track yourself with ease? The dog is mostly there just to give some company but it's not much help, TGT and WRR is perhaps the only reserves where I can see real use for it since the tall grass and snow covered trees that make it hard to see the domes. I bought the dog prettymuch for the moments when I make poor shots on difficult terrain and I could rely on the dog to follow the animal, but it doesn't seem to work too well when you would need that extra help the most. Also I cannot stand it how the dog is always at your feet, causing trouble to even walk around freely, way too often the dog want's to come and sit right in front of the muzzle when you try to shoot at something, and before you know, you lost the chance to make that shot at all thanks for the dog, she also likes to make so much noise when you desperately try to listen around for animals. All in all, great idea but so far the tracking dog seems to be more trouble than use.
Sherab86
Hunter

Post by Sherab86 »

I think this have much to do with body parts positioning during the hit. Happened to me several time as well. But mostly in case of sleeping animals. Another couple with moving ones, but maybe I haven't took enough of lead (withs shotgun slugs). But in cases where animals are fully broadside and standing still, I usualy hit where I intended (but not always - sometimes it is strange as well). So I'm not fully sure what cause this issue, but it surely occcurs sometimes.
CAmulieman
Tracker

Post by CAmulieman »

I agree whole-heartedly with comments about the scent hound losing the track. My hound has attained level 41, and seems to lose the track just as often, or more often than when he was in the teens. The dog does not trip you up so often at higher levels, but without exaggeration, it will lose the track after only 3 domes at least 50% of the time. Sometimes the dog is sitting right by a blood dome with a big "?" on his brain, since it's lost the trail. The devs really ought to fix the scent hound. I have a retriever at level 50 and don't have a single complaint. Oh, and the comment about the dog getting right in front of what you are ready to aim at, or are already aiming at, doesn't go away at level 41 for my hound. I've tried to study the chart about hound levels on the wiki and find it very confusing. Seems like there are so many things that are supposed to improve with moving up a level, but sticking on the track just seems to not be very important. I suppose if you are a dog lover, it's all cool. Who cares whether the dog gets better at looking at the hunter when the hunter looks in the dog's direction. Let's get the scent hound to help us not waste so much time tracking. And one more thing. Why don't we see in the galleries of the members with really high scores, that they use a cent hound. Maybe because they don't think it's worth a scent.
Granti
Hunter

Post by Granti »

gas56 wrote:
Seifer wrote: One is my first shot being in the intestines which I felt to be a lung shot ]
From one thing I can see in that picture is that it looks like you also hit it in the front leg and broke it,..
Look how it's pointing forward. ......... :lol:
it always hurts my eyes when i see a buffalo´s leg in a trophy shot :geek: :D
MudBug
Outfitter

Post by MudBug »

Terzi1985 wrote:
And my opinion on the scent hound dog, it's pretty useless for it's purpose, mine is now on level 19 and it performs way worse than it seemed on levels 1-5 back then when I bought it. Those less than perfect shots and poor bloodtrails are EXACTLY the situations when you would need a dog the most, that is when the dog is the most useless in the game, losing the track every time is quaranteed. It just doesn't work like it should. What's the use for a dog when it can only track well those bloodtrails that you can track yourself with ease? The dog is mostly there just to give some company but it's not much help, TGT and WRR is perhaps the only reserves where I can see real use for it since the tall grass and snow covered trees that make it hard to see the domes. I bought the dog prettymuch for the moments when I make poor shots on difficult terrain and I could rely on the dog to follow the animal, but it doesn't seem to work too well when you would need that extra help the most. Also I cannot stand it how the dog is always at your feet, causing trouble to even walk around freely, way too often the dog want's to come and sit right in front of the muzzle when you try to shoot at something, and before you know, you lost the chance to make that shot at all thanks for the dog, she also likes to make so much noise when you desperately try to listen around for animals. All in all, great idea but so far the tracking dog seems to be more trouble than use.
CAmulieman wrote:I agree whole-heartedly with comments about the scent hound losing the track. My hound has attained level 41, and seems to lose the track just as often, or more often than when he was in the teens. The dog does not trip you up so often at higher levels, but without exaggeration, it will lose the track after only 3 domes at least 50% of the time. Sometimes the dog is sitting right by a blood dome with a big "?" on his brain, since it's lost the trail. The devs really ought to fix the scent hound. I have a retriever at level 50 and don't have a single complaint. Oh, and the comment about the dog getting right in front of what you are ready to aim at, or are already aiming at, doesn't go away at level 41 for my hound. I've tried to study the chart about hound levels on the wiki and find it very confusing. Seems like there are so many things that are supposed to improve with moving up a level, but sticking on the track just seems to not be very important. I suppose if you are a dog lover, it's all cool. Who cares whether the dog gets better at looking at the hunter when the hunter looks in the dog's direction. Let's get the scent hound to help us not waste so much time tracking. And one more thing. Why don't we see in the galleries of the members with really high scores, that they use a cent hound. Maybe because they don't think it's worth a scent.
Can confirm this. The higher the level of the dog, the more useless it becomes. It is very aggravating. :evil:

On topic: Hit boxes often register incorrectly and deserve some attention from the devs. If and when they get around to it, I hope they don't inadvertently screw something else up. :lol:
mikeman1
Scout

Post by mikeman1 »

I don't even bother with my hound any more. The tiny margin of "help" that it gives is not worth the frustration. Its a great idea, it just hasn't lived up expectations.
Code: Select all

Return to “General Chat”