Seeking bird hunting advice.

General chat about The Hunter. For suggestions, please use the "Suggestions"-room below.
CHABL0
Spotter

Seeking bird hunting advice.

Post by CHABL0 »

I'm interested in hunting the avian variety here in Classic. Problem is I don't have a clue where to start.
Which species do you recommend? What's fun to hunt? What's not too challenging but not easy as hell.
What should I be buying in the store? I'd like to keep it on the cheaper side if that is possible. I know I need a waterfowl blind but, do I need decoys? If so, which ones? Of course calls will be based on species chosen.
Weapon? I have a single shot shotgun now. Was looking at the 12 GA pump. Would the semi be a better option?

I apologize for the noobness I still am fairly new to theHunter. I'm looking at getting the 2k or 3k em$ package.
Can any experienced bird hunters chime in for me please?
If this is posted in the wrong forum, can an admin please relocate to the appropriate forum please?
AMD Ryzen 3 1300X | MSI B350 Gaming.PRO | G.Skill Ripjaws V Series DDR4-2400 16GB(2x8GB) | EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 SC GAMING, ACX 2.0 6GB | ADATA SP600 128GB SSD | EVGA 600W 80+ | MSI Optix AG32C
Fletchette
Trophy Hunter

Re: Seeking bird hunting advice.

Post by Fletchette »

Geese hunting is probably the best place to start since they are easier to hit than ducks. All you really need to start is a shotgun, then simply join some MP games on Hirsh where there is a blind and decoy setup available. See how you like it. If you do, then buy your own blind and decoy setup.

Duck hunting is faster paced, but they're just a bit more difficult to hit.

The 12ga pump is the best all-around shotgun, but the new 10ga is really nice too.
Personal Bests...
CHABL0
Spotter

Post by CHABL0 »

Fletchette wrote:Geese hunting is probably the best place to start since they are easier to hit than ducks. All you really need to start is a shotgun, then simply join some MP games on Hirsh where there is a blind and decoy setup available. See how you like it. If you do, then buy your own blind and decoy setup.

Duck hunting is faster paced, but they're just a bit more difficult to hit.

The 12ga pump is the best all-around shotgun, but the new 10ga is really nice too.
Thank you for this. I'm going to see if I can find any MP games with a blind.
AMD Ryzen 3 1300X | MSI B350 Gaming.PRO | G.Skill Ripjaws V Series DDR4-2400 16GB(2x8GB) | EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 SC GAMING, ACX 2.0 6GB | ADATA SP600 128GB SSD | EVGA 600W 80+ | MSI Optix AG32C
Sherab86
Hunter

Post by Sherab86 »

I'm not experienced hunter by all means. But I've found also ptarmigans to be quite pleasant to hunt. They present some challenge, because they are rather small, but don't require from you any additional equipment aside of your trusty shotgun.

And they show some interesting AI that you can exploit - as long, as there are several members of the flock still alive, they will try to rejoin - quite often flying back into your direction. So if you just sit still after you've shot first one, you may have repeating occacions to shot another for some time. :) Thanks to this I was able to harvest quite a few of them, and what's maybe funny, It was easier for me to hit them than pheasants.
Villkatta
Outfitter

Post by Villkatta »

You should give pheasant hunting a go as well. On the open fields of Hirshfelden they are reasonably agreeable to hunt.
You don't need anything but your shotgun either, although I'd invest in the 12GA pump if I were you. It's my go-to shotgun for anything that flies.

Sherab86
Hunter

Post by Sherab86 »

I agree. However, while for me personaly pheasants are no easy (I have real troubles with shooting them in the air), they can be a little bit boring after some time.

When it comes to 12/70 pump-action shotgun - I love it! ;) It can be also a formidable slug-gun if you would be interested in such a gameplay. Because, as I believe, it is only one shotgun in the game you can attach a scope to.
Swampfox
Outfitter

Post by Swampfox »

Welcome to the Hunter and Forum CHABLO.
Hunting the birds is great on many of the reserves.
Lots of species from Turkey, Pheasant, Ptarmigan, and Waterfowl.
Be sure and check out the Hunter/Wiki. There is vast amount of information on all hunting in theHunter. :D

http://thehunter.wikia.com/wiki/The_Hunter_Wikia
Spoiler:
stancomputerhunter
Trophy Hunter

Post by stancomputerhunter »

Waterfowling can get expensive, and the myriad choices for decoys and their effectiveness can be confusing. Here is a guide to help sort out the attraction possibilities.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... edit#gid=0

Image Rares: 86 NTs: 29
DYEUZ
Trophy Hunter

Post by DYEUZ »

Villkatta wrote:You should give pheasant hunting a go as well. On the open fields of Hirshfelden they are reasonably agreeable to hunt.
You don't need anything but your shotgun either, although I'd invest in the 12GA pump if I were you. It's my go-to shotgun for anything that flies.

I agree. Walking the fields of Hirsch for starters in search of pheasants is quite easy . Then , try multiple angles of airborne shots . You can approach them close and spook them or use the whistle , to make them fly .
You could even come up on some Geese sleeping and then practice your stalking on them . So , maybe with some luck, you would get Goose also without the waterfowl / decoys setups .

Have fun .

BCKidd's 2019 COMMUNITY COMPS SERIES CHAMPIONSHIP
FIRST PLACE
MASTER HUNTER TROPHY

ronMctube
Chat Logger

Post by ronMctube »

12 ga pump shotgun and pheasants is about as easy as it gets.then maybe try turkey.

Return to “General Chat”