Who else prefers Classic over COTW?

General chat about The Hunter. For suggestions, please use the "Suggestions"-room below.
Zaitzev82
Spotter

Re: Who else prefers Classic over COTW?

Post by Zaitzev82 »

I bought COTW not long after its release, having been wanting such a game for a long time. Played it for a few hours. I didn't know about Classic until I went on Youtube to look at COTW videos, tutorials and such. Found videos from THC and haven't played COTW since. It's a decent game on its own, but I find THC to be much richer in content and playability. Also COTW was so buggy and felt weird when I played it.. I'm sure it has come a long way since I played it, though. I might pick it up again.
TurboKid
Tracker

Post by TurboKid »

This is a general post. I see this with CoTW and a lot of other games. I guess some one who is higher level and has killed diamonds in CoTW can chime in. Im only level 15ish.
People and reviewers these days start up the game play level 1 and then say the game is too easy and make a whole opinion based on the first level. Imagine doing this in any game start diablo 2 go to the "den of evil" beat the first "boss"(special character not even a boss lol) and go wow this game is tooooo easy. (NES mario brothers 1st level, Need for speed first race , 2 EZ, etc. Its like judging a car you drove around the parking lot at 20mph)

So basically you start up CoTW shoot a few female does in the starter area and go ehh its waaay to easy. You just call them and they come.

Like I said this is just a general post of something I see in most games and reviewers these days. So I have no idea if CoTW when you get farther into the map the Diamond animals ETC are harder to attain, lure in ETC. But I have seen some videos that point to this might be the case. With time, I will put more time into CoTW.

Its like comparing an elk cow, to a 400 bull elk in Classic. Its not the same the 400 will smell your dirty underwear from the other side of the mountain, the cow will lick your arrow as it flys off your bow into her heart :)

Just my 2cents about the internet lol (ive gotten to the point i keep salt on my desk, cause i be takin a grain of it all the time)

Also I like Classic :P
rhapsodaisical
Scout

Post by rhapsodaisical »

I played COTW a few months before coming here. This is my first weke in Classic and waiting for a membership sale to give it a good try. I love the difficulty level of classic and its diversity in reserve and hunting opportunities. I'll prolly stick around awhile
rj16066
Tracker

Post by rj16066 »

I do. COTW seems more like an arcade type game IMHO.

Win10 64bit /Intel 5930 i7 @ 3.5ghz 6-core/Gigabyte x99 UD3 / EVGA GTX1080 8Gig- / CORSAIR H2O 620 CPU Watercooler /Corsair 1000w PS/ 32-gig corsair Vengeance / 1 TB SSD / 2 TB WD caviar black / 2 TB Caviar / SA950 1920 x 1080
Kaned Dragon
Tracker

Post by Kaned Dragon »

Okay I'll jump in here :)
I used to play the classic, a lot. 7209 on the experience points.
I play the wild now. I stopped playing classic years ago, when I realized how much money I spent on the subs, and weapons, and well nearly everything.
I couldn't justify constantly paying, not only to play the whole game, but for items within game.
Em$ 265.00 Em$ 66280.00
Gm$ 709.00 Gm$ 28841.00
I don't want to know what that is in real money :-/
I love love love the wild. I think it's a massive improvement on the classic, it just that it's new. And like the classic when it started, there isn't a huge amount of stuff.
The classic has a rendering range issue. I forget what they rendering range was, but animals vanish after a certain distance.
I haven't noticed a rendering range in the wild atm, might be one but I've seen animals 600+ meters away. To many trees and shrubs to see further.
The animals in the wild, have the feeding, nest and resting areas. Specific to the animals. So when animals are traveling, i have some idea which direction or where they are going.
The animals in the classic, just wander about.
It's a lot better for players who want to set up a trap/catch area, using a blind or tree stand.
Also you see herds of animals 30 or more traveling together, I never saw that in classic, also Night time!
At the end of the day. Call of the wild is pay once get the game, dlc and addons to come.
Classic has all the good stuff, but you have to pay.
Wild can have things classic can't. ATV, transparent rain effect, Periphery around scope sights :) A better tracking system, at least from when I played the classic.
I really do miss this forum and the website. I don't like using steam forums.
The classic needs to be ported over to the new engine, and instead of subscription based payment, something else, maybe patreon because players like me stopped paying and so I stopped playing.
Also, hirschfelden the map in the new wild game is truly enormous and breath taking at times!!!! If you like the view in classic you'll love the wild engine atmosphere effects
As for the niggles regarding animal AI, well, just like the early days of the classic, there were balancing issues, and they seemed to get fixed.
Same will go for wild.
Knut
Outfitter

Post by Knut »

Kaned Dragon wrote:The animals in the wild, have the feeding, nest and resting areas. Specific to the animals. So when animals are traveling, i have some idea which direction or where they are going.
tHC also has attraction zones (drinking, feeding, bedding) specific for the species and animals roam in between them. Once you learned where a few of those are, zou also get some idea in regards of where an animal might be heading.
“Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'" ― Isaac Asimov
Kaned Dragon
Tracker

Post by Kaned Dragon »

Knut wrote:
Kaned Dragon wrote:The animals in the wild, have the feeding, nest and resting areas. Specific to the animals. So when animals are traveling, i have some idea which direction or where they are going.
tHC also has attraction zones (drinking, feeding, bedding) specific for the species and animals roam in between them. Once you learned where a few of those are, zou also get some idea in regards of where an animal might be heading.
That's great to hear, when I played it, they didn't seem to have them.
Animals would stop and rest, and eat, but it seemed more like a timed event on the animals AI and they would rest or eat whenever it suited them.
Rather than, they have a set routine and they will go to this place to rest or what not.
Or maybe it's because those areas have obvious markers in COTW.
It's good to see the classic still gets worked on.
Knut
Outfitter

Post by Knut »

Kaned Dragon wrote:Rather than, they have a set routine and they will go to this place to rest or what not.
It's good to see the classic still gets worked on.
I wouldn't call it a set routine. It's a somewhat random assignment of attraction zones somehow depending on time of day, target activity and distance to the attraction zone. How it works exactly beats me, and it isn't really directly obvious when playing the game.

It's been in the game pretty much since the beginning, though, it's not a recent addition
“Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'" ― Isaac Asimov
Kaned Dragon
Tracker

Post by Kaned Dragon »

Knut wrote:How it works exactly beats me, and it isn't really directly obvious when playing the game.
Maybe that's why I never noticed it. In COTW it's really obvious with those markers.
I always felt with Classic, there were things happening in the background. But I only noticed the effect it had on the game. Not the effect it's self.
Might explain why some people feel the COTW feels a bit arcady.
It's much more obvious with the player ques. = The animal barks and warning shouts.
COTW at times feels like the devs designed it to be a little bit more easier for players to locate animals.
Prinz1989
Hunter

Post by Prinz1989 »

I was interested in COTW because the missions seemed to offer a goal to work towards and a possibillity to "complete" the game.
Unfortunatly most missions seem to rely solely on having luck, nothing you can work towards. I got bored and returned to classic.

now I'm getting annoyed in classic as the game keeps getting more difficult :(

Return to “General Chat”