Who else prefers Classic over COTW?

General chat about The Hunter. For suggestions, please use the "Suggestions"-room below.
HooCairs
Champion Hunter

Re: Who else prefers Classic over COTW?

Post by HooCairs »

Tanngnjostr wrote:
HooCairs wrote:Many of us would hate to lose all their stats, skills, trophies, etc. though. This should be transferable too. :)
Keep on dreaming, Hoo! ;) :P
Why? :D
A big part for many in Classic is the competition system. The past surveys have also shown that the Hunterscore matters for many. The new game could only be considered a replacement if all player profiles were again server based. A stand-alone like CotW would not be a proper replacement. In CotW there are mods and cheats available, so competitions are unthinkable. Well then, if server based, why not keep all profiles. The engine is just for the client anyway. You would alienate many customers if you dropped all of their stats. ;)
My Youtube theHunter Wiki
Spoiler:
fantamichele
Outfitter

Post by fantamichele »

HooCairs wrote:
Tanngnjostr wrote:
HooCairs wrote:Many of us would hate to lose all their stats, skills, trophies, etc. though. This should be transferable too. :)
A big part for many in Classic is the competition system. The past surveys have also shown that the Hunterscore matters for many. The new game could only be considered a replacement if all player profiles were again server based. A stand-alone like CotW would not be a proper replacement. In CotW there are mods and cheats available, so competitions are unthinkable. Well then, if server based, why not keep all profiles. The engine is just for the client anyway. You would alienate many customers if you dropped all of their stats. ;)
You have to ask this question: "Do you prefer to lose all statistics and have an up-to-date graphic engine or stay with the current graphics engine but have performance and graphics limitations?"
Personally I prefer to lose everything and have a COTW-type graphic engine
jeff1963
Hunter

Post by jeff1963 »

HooCairs wrote:
Tanngnjostr wrote:
They would have to do it that way to move forward, and they would have to make some tough choices, and risk losing the people with older PC's. I just wonder if they used up all their gas on COTW and won't be able or willing to move the Classic gameplay forward with an entirely new graphics engine, with all the issues that entails.

I hope they can and will do that.
Thanks, ~Jeff

caledonianblues
Master Hunter

Post by caledonianblues »

fantamichele wrote:You have to ask this question: "Do you prefer to lose all statistics and have an up-to-date graphic engine or stay with the current graphics engine but have performance and graphics limitations?"
No contest for me. Give me the old engine and the fulfilment and longevity of Classic any day. I love visually stunning games and have a high end machine to enjoy them on, but a great engine doesn't make a game great. Just as great special effects and CGI won't make a movie great. You have to have something behind it or it just becomes forgettable and blends in with hundreds and thousands of other forgettable titles.

If a brand new version of theHunter was released on the Apex engine, but none of the stats or progress were carrier over, it would have zero appeal for me. I would stick with Classic.
fantamichele
Outfitter

Post by fantamichele »

caledonianblues wrote:
fantamichele wrote:You have to ask this question: "Do you prefer to lose all statistics and have an up-to-date graphic engine or stay with the current graphics engine but have performance and graphics limitations?"
No contest for me. Give me the old engine and the fulfilment and longevity of Classic any day. I love visually stunning games and have a high end machine to enjoy them on, but a great engine doesn't make a game great. Just as great special effects and CGI won't make a movie great. You have to have something behind it or it just becomes forgettable and blends in with hundreds and thousands of other forgettable titles.

If a brand new version of theHunter was released on the Apex engine, but none of the stats or progress were carrier over, it would have zero appeal for me. I would stick with Classic.
What I mean is to take The Hunter Classic as it is now and transfer it to the COTW engine. THC has to stay the way it is now, nothing has to change its dynamics, it just needs to have a more powerful graphics engine to make it better than it is now. Enhanced rendering, improved graphics, use on 32: 9 monitor, etc.
Sherab86
Hunter

Post by Sherab86 »

I think that COTW was made more arcadish way fully intentionaly for two reasons - to gain new players from more "mainstream" type. And second - to not be "realistic" or tempting enough for Classic players. As I understood, EW are relatively small company - or at least Classic Team is relatively small. Hunting games, especially good hunting games are rarity. And I think this is the reason why Classic stays like it is - it is a money maker - players with want that sub-realistic experience simply don't have realy a choice. So even new players as me will have to swallow somehow all that microtransactions at some point if they want to stay with the game. But I think that with new game they would have to abandon this payment system - don't believe anyone would be ready to go trough this again. :P New game would have to be DLC based as it is COTW, even if still server based (with I agree).
Tanngnjostr
Master Hunter

Post by Tanngnjostr »

Sherab86 wrote:I think that COTW was made more arcadish way fully intentionaly for two reasons - to gain new players from more "mainstream" type. And second - to not be "realistic" or tempting enough for Classic players.
What's interesting is that some fellow players that are hunters in real life have told me that the core mechanisms of CotW (like animal AI and such) are actually more realistic than those in Classic. To me it seems that the UI/HUD puts a lot of hunters from the "realism department" off, but the core of the game isn't as "arcade-ish" as it may seem from this discussion. Since I'm not hunting in real life, it's hard for me to judge though.

Anyway... I also prefer Classic right now, but I'd be willing to relinquish (at least temporarily) some of the content and progress if the game was put onto a new engine. I'd be ready to start over if it's done in the right way (which is highly subjective of course :P )...
Image Image Image
Sherab86
Hunter

Post by Sherab86 »

Tanngnjostr wrote:
Sherab86 wrote:I think that COTW was made more arcadish way fully intentionaly for two reasons - to gain new players from more "mainstream" type. And second - to not be "realistic" or tempting enough for Classic players.
What's interesting is that some fellow players that are hunters in real life have told me that the core mechanisms of CotW (like animal AI and such) are actually more realistic than those in Classic. To me it seems that the UI/HUD puts a lot of hunters from the "realism department" off, but the core of the game isn't as "arcade-ish" as it may seem from this discussion. Since I'm not hunting in real life, it's hard for me to judge though.
Yes, I've read such statements too. :) This is why I believe that COTW could be easily as good or even better than Classic, if there was a will. ;) So I suppose there wasn't ;)
Oswald74
Outfitter

Post by Oswald74 »

All I need is a new graphics engine with better usage of modern graphic cards, 4k displays, different aspect ratios, etc.

I will pay 60,- Euro just for the engine upgrade if everything else from classic is ported over to the new engine.

MfG L.E.

Knut
Outfitter

Post by Knut »

Heck, I'd be willing to give up everything just for an increased render distance (and a bit of an animal AI upgrade necessary with that). Not only all statistics. I'd be happy starting with the good old times of one reserve and a couple of species when I know there's more to come.
“Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'" ― Isaac Asimov

Return to “General Chat”