Who else prefers Classic over COTW?

General chat about The Hunter. For suggestions, please use the "Suggestions"-room below.
Levado
Scout

Re: Who else prefers Classic over COTW?

Post by Levado »

Sherab86 wrote:As far as I know, there's no micro-transactions in COTW.
I consider their DLCs micro-transactions. The Witcher 3 Wild Hunt - Blood and Wine is what I consider a DLC and not a micro-transaction.
Hunter Score 71k+ ● Playing Since 2009 ● Favorite Species: all deer
supercelldrw
Hunter

Post by supercelldrw »

Both lol I don't own coftw lol
Spoiler:
HooCairs
Champion Hunter

Post by HooCairs »

CotW has great graphics and much more realistic looking animals. It also has a number of great features Classic does not have:
- harvest screen with rotating 3D model, fur type - you see if it was a rare
- skills and perks, although some of them far fetched to satisfy the full development tree
- ATVs
- night hunting
- switch reserve in game
- see missions in game
- greater rendering distance
- ability to jump
- scope on/off with one click
- slow and fast in all stances (e.g. crouch fast and slow)
- player and ATV health bar
- animals interest zones (sleep, eat, drink) are marked on the map once found
and others...

Some features are way worse than Classic
- inventory handling
- tracking
- item handling
- arcade style display of my loudness
- the maps are pretty bad graphically

Some important features are missing
- server based profile with stats, gallery, etc.
- competitions among all players
- tree stands - pretty sure though they will follow

And of course CotW has a lot less content such as maps, animals, weapons, etc.

I am a bit confused as to which field CotW wants to cover. It started out looking pretty arcade style with many animals and constant calls from everywhere. Harvesting animals took a bit of practice but then was not too hard. I have seen a big change and there is now comparably very little going on anymore. You can end up searching for 10-20 minutes for a particular species that you know should occur in an area. Also animals often do not come to the call even though you can see them, you are upwind, and you can't really tell what's wrong. You may now say this is more realistic, but does CotW now want to feature more realistic animal behavior than Classic. Is Classic now arcade compared to CotW.

Especially the amount of time spent in the latest CotW version to be successful with harvesting is what have turned me off a bit from that game. For example I have looked for wild boar and reindeer for a few hours to complete a simple mission each and was not successful. Are you kidding me? :)

I currently prefer Classic. 8-)
My Youtube theHunter Wiki
Spoiler:
Sherab86
Hunter

Post by Sherab86 »

HooCairs wrote:I am a bit confused as to which field CotW wants to cover. It started out looking pretty arcade style with many animals and constant calls from everywhere. Harvesting animals took a bit of practice but then was not too hard. I have seen a big change and there is now comparably very little going on anymore. You can end up searching for 10-20 minutes for a particular species that you know should occur in an area. Also animals often do not come to the call even though you can see them, you are upwind, and you can't really tell what's wrong. You may now say this is more realistic, but does CotW now want to feature more realistic animal behavior than Classic. Is Classic now arcade compared to CotW.
Hmmm... So maybe COTW is not any longer that bad on the gameplay as I thought. ;) Ehh... I won't be able to buy new PC any soon anyway. :P
Levado wrote:I consider their DLCs micro-transactions.
Yes, now I understand what you mean.
cajunman45
Outfitter

Post by cajunman45 »

Not buying it got to much stuff in Classic to start all over 80 tree stand ani't cheap plus all the tents and gear i got. To each his own. Never played it never will . Just like hunting Dino's never will.. More and More Content this year in Classic no new reserve.

BuiuRei
Trophy Hunter

Post by BuiuRei »

About DLC in CotW: absolutely no comparison to the microtransactions in classic. You pay the price of a tent on all the tents you can buy, the price of a rifle for wrecking as many ATVs as you like (which btw introduce a new gameplay aspect); you pay the price of a full spread for one species of waterfowl for a whole new map and everything in it, towers, callers, you name it. Not to mention you pay the price of a Trailrunner bundle that only gives you member access for a year for having the game forever (you can even play it single player without internet connection).

Many things you guys said are spot on. I might have a very different perspective since I only started playing around the time Taiga was released, so I don't have the feeling the game is too arcady (classic can be that too in many aspects btw; it's just the games have different balancing mechanics). I do find very difficult to come be to classic and its graphics and, why not?, several, several gameplay aspects - and, of course, I miss many classic's gameplay aspects that you guys already mentioned, the depth only a long development cycle can bring. But then again, CotW is just an infant. I already see many things on it that we old school Classic players asked since the dawn of times. Who's to say we won't have all the guns, competitions, missions, social aspect on CotW that we have on Classic now? Maybe even way beyond.

But overall I see myself spending more time in CotW than Classic in the future. Might be just an inicial feeling (although I have put about 85 hours in these last couple of weeks - which I realize is almost nothing compared to 6000 on Classic), might be that I'm just flabbergasted at what the hardware I bought earlier this year is capable of outputting (and I had my fair share of beautiful games this year, such as Fallout 4, Witcher 3, Arma III, GTA V, DOOM - CowT still stands tall). But right now I'm still extremely engaged on CotW; that is what remains to be seen, if it will be a long time addiction like Classic or just another very good game I put 100-200 hours into it, to then rarely come back again.

I really hope one day we can have all the good things of Classic on CotW. It would be a much happier place for everyone - besides those with old/low end hardware (although I'd imagine that, considering you have a half decent DirectX 11 card (and those are already pretty old news), it should be at least playable on low settings).
Spoiler:
JackRbbt
Trophy Hunter

Post by JackRbbt »

I'm a hopeless optimistic kind of guy, so i keep dreaming of tH:C ported on tH:CotW engine. Until that happens (if ever) i'm stuck with th:C!
Spoiler:

Sherab86
Hunter

Post by Sherab86 »

BuiuRei,

I've nevered really played COTW, so I'm judging solely by what I've seen on YouTube, or have read on internet, this forum included. And I saw that for example you can simply run and spook roe deers - they start to bark, so you can localise them, and then you can simply call them back to you, because they will come to you, even they were just spooked. Animals seems to be also "blind" to that flashlight of your's at night. All those features are unreallistic and, what's more important, un-immersive to me. But maybe EW patched the game considerable since those recordings I saw. I don't know. ;) And it can be quite nice game otherwise. I would probably give it a try if only my PC would be strong enough. :P
Pretty_Boy
Outfitter

Post by Pretty_Boy »

I do :)
Iwe tried cotw, but I feel something is strange without being able to pinpoint it out. Maybe Im too stuck into the Classic, and is maybe negative til all kind of changes, idk. The game engine and the maps are great, just beautiful. But its something about the gameplay itself Im missing out. When this said, its fully possible that I change my mind at any point of time, Iwe only got about 160 hours of gameplay I think, so maybe I get use to the game and changes in a while ;)

BuiuRei
Trophy Hunter

Post by BuiuRei »

Sherab86 wrote:BuiuRei,

I've nevered really played COTW, so I'm judging solely by what I've seen on YouTube, or have read on internet, this forum included. And I saw that for example you can simply run and spook roe deers - they start to bark, so you can localise them, and then you can simply call them back to you, because they will come to you, even they were just spooked. Animals seems to be also "blind" to that flashlight of your's at night. All those features are unreallistic and, what's more important, un-immersive to me. But maybe EW patched the game considerable since those recordings I saw. I don't know. ;) And it can be quite nice game otherwise. I would probably give it a try if only my PC would be strong enough. :P
Idk, it might still be like that, but I doubt it.
And if you think about it, Classic has several features or behaviors one could consider arcade, like how predictable the wind generally is, the way waterfowl always behave more or less the same on a given spot or, heck, even the fact you can get 30 deer under your treestand.
As I said, it's just another balance. And I get that upsets people, but it shouldn't. Since this new pc of mine, I've been playing several other, non-hunting games, and you have to adapt to the mechanics. It's the same, but because there's a theHunter in the name, people expect to find everything at the same place.
Spoiler:

Return to “General Chat”