Who else prefers Classic over COTW?

General chat about The Hunter. For suggestions, please use the "Suggestions"-room below.
CHABL0
Spotter

Who else prefers Classic over COTW?

Post by CHABL0 »

I found out about theHunter through some co-workers when they picked up COTW on ps4. Well I bought it for pc and tried to play but my specs wouldn't handle it. So I downloaded classic, became a member and even purchased some EM just to hunt the game I wanted.

Well I thought COTW must be this awesome game since classic is so fun. I went out and picked up a new GPU and PSU to play COTW and I'm not as blown away as I'd thought I'd be. Now don't get me wrong. COTW does have it's perks that Classic doesn't and vice versa. But, I find Classic more enjoyable over COTW. It just seems Classic feels a little more realistic and challenging. COTW deer will run right up to you while shooting it. Like "Hey, this guy wants to kill me and eat me. Let's get in closer for a proper introduction." Now I've never hunted in real life but I do live in a very rural area where I've encountered deer and 99% of this area does hunt. Deer are very skiddish and don't do that, at least here.
Now, before you jump out and say "Come on man! It's a video game!". I know but it's little things that turn me off towards COTW and open Classic back up and play. Feels more of an authenticity from Classic.

Just my opinion. I don't hate COTW but, I don't love it like Classic. If Classic had COTW graphics and able to hunt all animals(with equipment) for free and had a flat rate for purchase. It would be one of the greatest games.

Blabbering over. :|
AMD Ryzen 3 1300X | MSI B350 Gaming.PRO | G.Skill Ripjaws V Series DDR4-2400 16GB(2x8GB) | EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 SC GAMING, ACX 2.0 6GB | ADATA SP600 128GB SSD | EVGA 600W 80+ | MSI Optix AG32C
TheSheWolf
Hunter

Re: Who else prefers Classic over COTW?

Post by TheSheWolf »

I've never actually played CotW. I get the impression it was indeed for a slightly more "arcadey" feel but I don't have any plans to try it solely because the animal animations (and some models) looked so terrible, tbh. Even in Classic a lot could use reworks, but the rushed goofy ones in Call are just... weird, to me x)
Radamus
Master Hunter

Post by Radamus »

Apples and oranges to me- I own it just because I support the Co - played it very little. I'm lost when I start it, don't know what the objective is or how to get there, all the commands are different and I'm not too interested in starting over with a new game.
Graphics? Love them! render distance? Love it! Visually it's awesome! game play philosophy is on a different format that doesn't interest me.
"Out of all competitors, Radamus was the only one who got it I think" - BCKidd
"Ugh, I absolutely hate the thought that Radamus is right about this and I was wrong...!!!" Splainin2do
I can't afford a swear jar - xOEDragon
Spoiler:
stancomputerhunter
Trophy Hunter

Post by stancomputerhunter »

Radamus wrote:Apples and oranges to me- I own it just because I support the Co - played it very little. I'm lost when I start it, don't know what the objective is or how to get there, all the commands are different and I'm not too interested in starting over with a new game.
Graphics? Love them! render distance? Love it! Visually it's awesome! game play philosophy is on a different format that doesn't interest me.
^^^^^^ what he said.

Image Rares: 86 NTs: 29
Ravenousfox
Outfitter

Post by Ravenousfox »

You're on TheHunter Classic forums so you're going to get a biased opinion on things regards to people liking Classic more.
I'm sure if you posted this exact thred on COTW people would Prefer COTW over Classic.
I have over 1337 kills with my Longbow at 100% kill rate.
My YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPHtNC ... RQ3X3b0TjQ
My Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/rav_fox
outrider
Champion Hunter
Location: fort worth, tx. "where the west begins"...(THF-37th)(TH-77th)

Post by outrider »

yeah, what they said...i bought the disc of COTW at walmart. haven't installed it yet. don't know if my machine will run it or not....but, i try to support theHunter (which ever one) when i can.... :D
I shall Endeavor to Persevere.

outrider
Champion Hunter
Location: fort worth, tx. "where the west begins"...(THF-37th)(TH-77th)

Post by outrider »

Ravenousfox wrote:You're on TheHunter Classic forums so you're going to get a biased opinion on things regards to people liking Classic more.
I'm sure if you posted this exact thred on COTW people would Prefer COTW over Classic.

NAAAAAAA, they wouldn't do that :o .......would they ?.................... :lol:
I shall Endeavor to Persevere.

Bluejay
Scout

Post by Bluejay »

stancomputerhunter wrote:
Radamus wrote:Apples and oranges to me- I own it just because I support the Co - played it very little. I'm lost when I start it, don't know what the objective is or how to get there, all the commands are different and I'm not too interested in starting over with a new game.
^^^^^^ what he said.
Me too^^^^^^what he said.
xOEDragonx

Post by xOEDragonx »

I think Radamus summed up my opinion of it quite well. In terms of graphics, the game is absolutely stunning. I've never been so impressed with a game environment before. And while I have played a bit, I too am in the boat where I like this game so much, I don't really even want to bother with trying to start over on a new game.

In the 25 hours or so I've played of it, I haven't cared for the gameplay at all, at least not if trying to compare it to classic. I also describe it as arcadey to others. It has a very Cabela's feel to it-- like you can slay animals all day long but none of the kills are very memorable. Since there is no system in place comparable to Classc's TruRac system, none of the trophy animals appear unique to me. I swear every buck I've killed in the game has been the exact same buck every time (I'm aware there are a few different models but again, they're all just so similar that none feel unique). There's very little emphasis on animal score at all. The game rewards you for what I personally consider unethical hunting. Since you lose kill score if the animal doesn't drop on the spot, it exclusively encourages spine, heart and brain shots while any real hunter knows well that these are (while fatal) very risky shots to take. Lung shots, the most commonly taken shot in real life since you have the greatest chance of hitting vitals, is penalized since almost all of the large game animals will run a short distance even with a well placed lung shot. Since there's no trophy shot system or way to preserve individual trophies, I tend to foget about an animal as soon as I kill it even if it did make me work for it. And while I like that you can shoot and the animals don't run forever to get away from you, there's something I find sort if pathetic about being able to literally wipe out an entire herd of more than a dozen deer by just spamming the call and bringing them right back immediately after every shot.

I'm not saying Classic is perfect by any means, and COTW really does have it's strengths, but it's just not the game for me.
BCKidd

Post by BCKidd »

theHunter Classic- all the way for me. Love the game, the community... and well, theHunter Classic is the only hunting game that has kept my attention for as long as it has. Long live theHunter Classic! ;) Peace.

BCKidd.

"Patience and perseverance, are not an option if you want that trophy, they are a necessity."

Keep it real!
"Careful, David, he's Canadian......They eat people you know." Fletchette.

Return to “General Chat”