Who else prefers Classic over COTW?

General chat about The Hunter. For suggestions, please use the "Suggestions"-room below.
Kaned Dragon
Tracker

Re: Who else prefers Classic over COTW?

Post by Kaned Dragon »

Prinz1989 wrote:I was interested in COTW because the missions seemed to offer a goal to work towards and a possibillity to "complete" the game.
Unfortunatly most missions seem to rely solely on having luck, nothing you can work towards. I got bored and returned to classic.

now I'm getting annoyed in classic as the game keeps getting more difficult :(
I found the missions in COTW, are okay. They range from tracking certain foot prints, too take down an animal at night or something like that.
Same sort of missions in the Classic.
I did have one mission where I had to take a picture of a big red deer in Hirschfelden around the Rotwald area and it took me ages. Then One day, I started at a ranch, and as soon as I started to walk I heard a red deer right near me, went prone. Creeped up, and as soon as I saw it, Conni said thats the one.
Again giving the player indication. Really helped at times.
I do like the talking characters.
I got so sick and tired of Doc texting me to tell me a did bad.
Nice to hear a voice for the character.
But the hunter is not really a game with an end. It's an endless hunt. But the mission do give some focus. Both in the Classic and the Wild.
Prinz1989
Hunter

Post by Prinz1989 »

Kaned Dragon wrote:
Prinz1989 wrote:I was interested in COTW because the missions seemed to offer a goal to work towards and a possibillity to "complete" the game.
Unfortunatly most missions seem to rely solely on having luck, nothing you can work towards. I got bored and returned to classic.

now I'm getting annoyed in classic as the game keeps getting more difficult :(
I found the missions in COTW, are okay. They range from tracking certain foot prints, too take down an animal at night or something like that.
Same sort of missions in the Classic.
I did have one mission where I had to take a picture of a big red deer in Hirschfelden around the Rotwald area and it took me ages. Then One day, I started at a ranch, and as soon as I started to walk I heard a red deer right near me, went prone. Creeped up, and as soon as I saw it, Conni said thats the one.
Again giving the player indication. Really helped at times.
I do like the talking characters.
I got so sick and tired of Doc texting me to tell me a did bad.
Nice to hear a voice for the character.
But the hunter is not really a game with an end. It's an endless hunt. But the mission do give some focus. Both in the Classic and the Wild.
I had a mission to get two calls from different foxes around a small lake, I circled the lake 4 times on 4 different days and never got a single call from a fox. I just dislike it when luck plays such a large role. the same goes for many of the mssions in classic.
knott
Outfitter

Post by knott »

I like COTW. It´s just more realistic in just about every regard over classic. More realistic animal behaviour. Don´t necessarily mean more challenging though. While lynx is skittish I guess it´s nothing compared to the bobcats in Classic.

Graphics including animations just look straight better, weapons feels better much due to the animations as well.

Classic has bird hunting and COTW not and the leaderboards I can understand some people go nuts about. For competitive gamers I would recommend classic over COTW. COTW is more for casual gamers that want to hunt in more realistic environments with better animal behaviour whereas in classic it´s more of a game how the AI is set up. Nothing wrong with either approach but don´t understand the suggestion classic is more realistic just because it´s harder.
Kaned Dragon
Tracker

Post by Kaned Dragon »

Prinz1989 wrote: I had a mission to get two calls from different foxes around a small lake, I circled the lake 4 times on 4 different days and never got a single call from a fox. I just dislike it when luck plays such a large role. the same goes for many of the mssions in classic.
I haven't done that one yet. But I understand what your saying. The animals kinda do what they want, and luck does effect it.
But I can vouch that in COTW I've had voice messages which indicated to me i was on the right track or i was looking at the right animal.
Never got that when I played the Classic, you have a mission to do something, good luck. Where as in the COTW you will get pointed in the right direction after maybe five minutes.
Literally you hear them say "I spotted some tracks near by".
knott wrote:Classic has bird hunting and COTW not and the leaderboards I can understand some people go nuts about. For competitive gamers I would recommend classic over COTW. COTW is more for casual gamers that want to hunt in more realistic environments with better animal behaviour whereas in classic it´s more of a game how the AI is set up. Nothing wrong with either approach but don´t understand the suggestion classic is more realistic just because it´s harder.
Yup COTW is not competative friendly atm. Lots of hacking and cheating on the club atm.
I'm doing the challenge for the 270 gun skin in multiplayer. It's a community goal.
People are just joining matches, spamming about 8 to 10 animals, gunning them down, and harvesting.
It's causing hunter pressure issues.
Plus they get on the leader boards. One guys went from 6th to 4th place in 3 hours. So the leader board in the COTW is not to be trusted.
I miss anything that is in the classic but not in the wild.
I miss the classic!
WolfLQ
Tracker

Post by WolfLQ »

COTW would have been my favorite... it's magnificent... but...

1) It had trophy lodges, or at the very least trophy shots
2) You could get high-scoring trophies without needing to kill a bunch of lower-level animals first
3) There was more antler variation, something similar to TruRacks; it's a real bummer that all the trophies look the same

I think those are relatively easy to fix. Not so much #3 but at least have more antler prefabs.
(Not a newbie! Back after a few years hiatus.)
Sherab86
Hunter

Post by Sherab86 »

WolfLQ wrote:COTW would have been my favorite... it's magnificent... but...

2) You could get high-scoring trophies without needing to kill a bunch of lower-level animals first
3) There was more antler variation, something similar to TruRacks; it's a real bummer that all the trophies look the same

I think those are relatively easy to fix. Not so much #3 but at least have more antler prefabs.
Not saying this really solves the problem, but for trophy shots one probably could simply take screenshots - one of animal laying dead, and one for harvest screen.
WolfLQ
Tracker

Post by WolfLQ »

Sherab86 wrote:
WolfLQ wrote:COTW would have been my favorite... it's magnificent... but...

Not saying this really solves the problem, but for trophy shots one probably could simply take screenshots - one of animal laying dead, and one for harvest screen.
True, but if the rack's in a rock or underground... :( (And I like being able to look over past trophies with shots attached to compare, but that's a less serious issue.)
(Not a newbie! Back after a few years hiatus.)
Nexis981
Tracker

Post by Nexis981 »

Me ;) I prefer Classic over CotW, because Classic offers more Content. So more Animals to hunt, more available weapons, more equipment, more different Biomes/Reserves and last but not least the customizable Trophy-Lodge :)
And i can still play Classic with my Friends which have an older system, because the lower system requirements.

CotW has just better or more modern Graphics, but that is the only advantage in my eyes. Sure, there are a few Features in CotW, which i would like to see in Classic. Like the beautiful Music at Lodges or the 3D-Hit-Display after Harvesting, but that what is not actual implemented in Classic, can get implemented in future ;)

Not least is TH:Classic more similar to the european hunting culture: #no hunting at night. I am no real Hunter, but nevertheless i know that Hunters in Germany do not hunt at night. At most the search for Wild-corpses can last into the night, even with scent-hound. But no active hunting/shooting at night.
And especially no wild rides with Quadbikes through the woods.

Conclusion: I will not buy CotW, i am completely happy with Classic :o)
If they restart the Promotion, that we get the "Call of the Wild .270-Rifle" for Classic by buying CotW, i will make an exception and give it a try ^^
SoftShoe
Outfitter

Post by SoftShoe »

I played CoTW for about an hour today & the only reason I went that long was tracking a doe I shot at 20yds. The shot just barely clipped her shoulderblade resulting in a cripple. I spent 45min tracking her down.
I dislike that CoTW has weapons & equipment locked. If I have the money I should be allowed to buy it. Having locks smacks of being a video game (which in effect it is). But this is a hunting game, not DOOM (do people still play that?). I also dislike the night hunting. Here in the US, while you can hunt at night there are precious few animals you are allowed to do that with.

There are aspects I like about CoTW but overall I much prefer Classic.

INSANEPAPPY60
Outfitter

Post by INSANEPAPPY60 »

Recently purchased COTW......Waited about a year to decide......main reason I hate to learn a new game,After about 180 hours of gameplay I'm enjoying it and COTW and Classic are in fact two different games in many ways..both have their good/bad points of gameplay but I like jumpin back and forth between the both of them.

Return to “General Chat”