Choosing first rifle (from three preselected) - any advice? :)

General chat about The Hunter. For suggestions, please use the "Suggestions"-room below.
TheSheWolf
Hunter

Re: Choosing first rifle (from three preselected) - any advice? :)

Post by TheSheWolf »

I bought the 7mm bullpup and never looked back, but I've never tried your preselected so I could not say.

http://forum.thehunter.com/viewtopic.php?f=91&t=80360

This thread had some useful input you might find of use, though I can't recall exactly which rifles are mentioned.
Pupic
Hunter

Post by Pupic »

Sherab86 wrote:Well...
I was asking you for "field" experience, right?
Here is mine..... .300 (prefer Carbon) is absolutely the best rifle in the game.
The only comparable rifle (minimum wobble, no bullet drop, vitals penetration) is .340 which is more powerful but less versatile.
caledonianblues
Master Hunter

Post by caledonianblues »

Of the 3 options you listed, I would go for the 8x57 IS Anschütz. As for wild boars, you can drop them on the spot with a number of weapons, including traditional bows. I find the most effective way to hunt them is to go for brain shots. My preferred weapon of choice for this is the Blaser R8.
ronMctube
Chat Logger

Post by ronMctube »

.300 with the great scope options used to be the best but then came the ugly but best all round rifle the 7mm bullpup.any of those two are really really good.
Prinz1989
Hunter

Post by Prinz1989 »

JK_ElkHunter wrote:My first big rifle was the 8x57 Anschütz, I'm by no means dissapointed by the performance of that rifle, I bought it when it was almost new and the 9.3 had just come out. Paired with a 3-9x40 it's a great all rounder and will indeed take on anything on the game. That is if the animals are allowed.

Although, for a beginner I would go for the 7mm bullpup. It's a really good rifle and it's super steady. A more steady version would be the break action one but it's not really that good for follow up shots.

Get the 7mm or the 8x57, you can't go wrong with either of them.
I second the 7mm. It really allows for quick follow up shots as well as equipping the 12x scope.
Of the three select go with the .300, it's frustrating to find a wounded animal not dieing from the wound and with larger animals like moose and bears this happens easily with the 8x57 not so much with the .300.
It's extremely reliable wich to me is more important than a slghtly hogher fire rate which is only handy very occasionally.
L3M182
Outfitter

Post by L3M182 »

out of the 3 youve selected id go for the 8x57, as its got everything the 9.3 has bar the extra bit of thump but thats ofset by the wobble as others have said.

however if i had to choose 1 rifle an no other id have to go for the 7mm bullpup becasue it ticks all the boxes for a hunting all rounded. funnily enough becasue ive got so many others i dont own it.

-wide range of permitted species
- modest harvest value across the board
-enough power to dump the bigger animals out to render range
-followup shot
-broad range of scopes
-light so more gear can be carried

if thehunter had released this rifle with a more "classic" configuration, something like the Remington 700 we'd have found THE hunting rifle for this game. its just the ugly design puts me(and im sure others) off
JK_ElkHunter
Outfitter

Post by JK_ElkHunter »

Prinz1989 wrote: I second the 7mm. It really allows for quick follow up shots as well as equipping the 12x scope.
You can equip the 12x on the 8x57 as well. :)

I believe the 7mm is indeed a better weapon when you master it. Although, for a beginner, the punch of the 8x57 is going to any new player to (not always) get a kill if you make a bad shot. 7mm since it's more light of a bullet, it's penetration is insane but lacks punch.

They are all great in my opinion. You can't go wrong if you choose one over the other.
Spoiler:

DHRifleman
Team Hunter

Post by DHRifleman »

If you are consistently shooting over 100 meters, the .300 is the weapon to go with, but for all around hunting under 100 meters you can't beat the 7mm. Bullpup.

I generally have the Bullpup and the Pulsar unless a comp or mission calls for something else.

I also like the Blazer R8, there is just something about the look and, sound that makes me want to use it, but it does have it's limits.
The above statements are strictly my opinion, and should not be taken as fact, even if I believe them to be true.
Antlercreeklodge.com Tournaments
Permitted Weapons per Reserve By ClemD
Seifer
Hunter

Post by Seifer »

I love my .300. It was one of my first rifles. Ethical for everything from a coyote and bigger. No problem dropping a bear at distance. Single round doesn't allow for a quick follow up shot but you won't need one if your shot is well placed. The 9.3 would be a close 2nd for me. Doesn't feel as powerful as the .300 but with the 5 round mag I can drop multiple animals ;)
Spoiler:

Don't mind me, I'm just thinking out loud ;) Mike (Seifer210) ♉
ruichi

Post by ruichi »

I started with the .300. Great gun.
Then 7mm bullpup showed to be even better.
And now the 30 R break rifle is a strong candidate to the title of best rifle.
You're safe with any of these.

Return to “General Chat”