Choosing first rifle (from three preselected) - any advice? :)

General chat about The Hunter. For suggestions, please use the "Suggestions"-room below.
JK_ElkHunter
Outfitter

Re: Choosing first rifle (from three preselected) - any advice? :)

Post by JK_ElkHunter »

Sherab86 wrote: Yes, I'm more and more biased towards 7mm. ;) And I'm aware that bullpup version gives you said advantages... But gosh, I don't know will I stop myself from buying brake-action one just for look. If I decide to buy one in the first place of course. ;)
Looks don't really matter when you're picking up your first rifle in this game. Well at least for me, since I picked the 8x57 first (ugly, ugly rifle :p). I was completely satisfied with the performance, although at the time there was no Bison.

I believe that you are overthinking too much, any rifle of your options will serve you really well, except for the 9.3 which really wobbles a lot.
Spoiler:

Villkatta
Outfitter

Post by Villkatta »

Although I don't use the .300 much because I can't use the 12x50 scope on it, it is definitely the rifle with the best knock-down power.
The greatest difference is seen on large game on 100+/150+ meters or when hunting bison, which are though cookies no matter the distances.

That said, with a good shot placement, the difference ain't that big.
Personally I use the 7mm break these days on everything permitted except bison. I just like the looks of it + I can use it with the 12x50 scope.
Before that I used the 8x57 for about 3 years. The performance was about the same, but not exactly a joy to look at.

stancomputerhunter
Trophy Hunter

Post by stancomputerhunter »

I have both of the 7mm break action rifles, and since they changed the scoring system, the Stambecco is put away at 500 kills, and I have been using the Bouquetin exclusively for awhile now. I heart shot a grizzly bear a few hunts back at 163 meters. Works for me. I have the Bullpup, but it's just too damn ugly for me. ;)

Image Rares: 86 NTs: 29
Sherab86
Hunter

Post by Sherab86 »

Ringolf wrote:They are all pretty much capable for the job and honestly, I usually only notice a difference in performance when I mess up my shot (mostly because I get impatient).
And this is probably quite realistic. I would argue that everything that will hit a brain (actualy a specific part of it, but lets generilze this), spinal cord above the shoulder line, heart or a liver will be most probably deadly - regardless would it be by 45-70, or .22LR (assuming it would have enough of penetration). Well, maybe to a point - if big animal has relatively big organs, very small projectile might be not enough. But in general those will be almost always deadly wounds. With lungs this is a little bit more complex. ;) Here you need to colapse lungs - stopping oxygen delivery to the brain, or/and drop blood pressure by intensive bleeding. Both takes usualy a bit of time.

However still, IRL, only brain and spinal cord shots realy guaranty instant incapitation of animal. I know that you, real hunters, experience (almost)instant incapitations also with lungs, or heart shots, but this has as much to do with the shot placement, as with psychological reaction of the animal to being shot. And usualy even with a heart shot there is a need to pass some time before blood pressure will drop to the point in with animal will loose its concious. And, again - bigger the wound, shorter time is needed. But let's say, that all those instances provide a relatively quick death. Problem shows up when we miss the vitals. Here we can count on blood lost only. And if wound is not severe enough, animal's organism can actualy stop the bleeding and heal the wound.

In the game this is simplified of course. ;) But my point is that bigger caliber gives bigger margin of safety when we actualy miss the vitals. And even the best shooters do screw up something from time to time. ;) And while in game this is simplified it is still present. ;) And I realy like this - this is only game I know with simulate terminal ballistics more-less realisticaly.
JK_ElkHunter wrote:Looks don't really matter when you're picking up your first rifle in this game. Well at least for me, since I picked the 8x57 first (ugly, ugly rifle :p).
I actualy like the look of the 8x57 :D You know, for me this is a little bit like with a car. You will spend most of the time inside, but you still care how it looks like outside. ;) But I agree that most important is that, what is under the hood. ;)

And to sum up. I know that from here - I mean .300 vs. 7mm, this is mostly matter of taste (at least up to 100 m). And that's why I have to figure this out by myself from now. :)

But thanks again for your efforts. :)

Of course if you want to add something, go ahead. :D
andrefrcaetano

Post by andrefrcaetano »

Right now, of the listed ones i would definitely go for the .300 (the other two are also pretty good, but they only win to the .300 in the firing rate).
But if i could, i would buy the .30R, wich in my opinion is the most powerfull all-round weapon right now (not mentioning all the 45-70s and the .340).
Sherab86
Hunter

Post by Sherab86 »

Hi!
Thanks for advice. :)

Basing solely on IRL data, they should be a little bit like apple and oranges. Yes, .300 should possess better penetration at any given range, and meanwhile I discovered, that I feel quite good also with distances above 100 m, so I do consider her. From other hand, IRL penetration lost for 7mm shouldn't be as big at distances present in the game (should starts to matter at all above maybe 160 m, but usualy we are closer I think). And finally, .300 should have slightly bigger "damage". I suppose this all may be exagerated in game. ;) 7 mm, from other hand, should have flatter trajectory and less bullet drop, and IRL, also slighlty less recoil.

I would say that bullet drop is of least concern at distances in the game. So I would agree, that .300 is probably slighlty better all round rifle. But still, I simply love the look of 7mm brake-action. :P It is hard to ressist. But for now - I wait for a sale. ;)

By the way - I take back what I said about .243 and Whitetails. I suppose my previous bad experience could by more due to shot placement, because recently I was able to take double lungs shot on a buck from 128 m. And this is more than enough for me. ;) So I would consider to look for only "big game" rifle (without overlap with .243 permitted species). But... since I will go with membership for free ammo, and I'll be allowed to hunt everything, better to have a rifle with can handle/is permmitted for all of them ;).
baloo.the.dog
Hunter

Post by baloo.the.dog »

9.3, can kill anything from coyote to bison legally, slightly more penetration compared to 8x57,

-I choose 9.3 over 30-06 because you can kill bison with it,
-I choose 9.3 over .300 because it shoots faster and higher magazine
Give us ptarmigans on Whiterime Ridge!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Roll Tide!!
Sherab86
Hunter

Post by Sherab86 »

Thanks. :)

Well, while i can be patient if I realy want to, I'm not very patient man by nature. :P Couldn't wait any longer for a sale. :P So if someone is curious, I bought finaly:

7mm RM Break Action Rifle (Stambecco).

:D

This was after a long fight with myself, becasue .300 Carbon is also quite nice looking rifle, and better in performance. And I could share a scope for it with .243. But finaly Stambecco won by a milimeters thanks to its look, way of operation (just for "feel" of being somewhat different than "classical" bolt action system) and "weight" (inventory space occupied - both - rifle itself, and ammo).
Tanngnjostr
Master Hunter

Post by Tanngnjostr »

You won't regret it, Sherab86. These are all good rifles, but you won't regret your choice!
Image Image Image
pirahna590
Hunter

Post by pirahna590 »

Congrats on your purchase, you wont be disappointed with the performance of that 7mm round

Return to “General Chat”