Choosing first rifle (from three preselected) - any advice? :)

General chat about The Hunter. For suggestions, please use the "Suggestions"-room below.
Sherab86
Hunter

Choosing first rifle (from three preselected) - any advice? :)

Post by Sherab86 »

Hello again, fellows!

I you don't want to read a wall of text, then go to bolted part. ;)

As some of you perhaps already know, I was planning to stay with my (already trusty) 12/70 pump action shotgun for every possible task where .243 is not enough. I was hunting for Wild Boars recently. And yes - this is perfectly doable, and quite often it is a lot of fun too.

However I've found also, at least in the same degree it can be frustrating either. You see... Basing on my own experience, to get reliable shot on Wild Boar (by with I mean double lung shot, preferebly even if projectile has to pass trough shoulder blade) I had to be within 40 meters. And for "regular" males (up to 165-170 kg and/or 600-750 score) this is perfectly fine - they are not that spooky. Problem starts with those bigger, "trophy" sized males. Risk of spooking them starts to be reality, and tracking them later on is a nightmare. If by any luck I catch up with them when they are somewhere still in the open, as long as they are still in wary state it is realy hard to close in for that 40 meters distance without spooking them again. I don't have to tell you haw fast they are also when trotting, and that they don't like to respond tou your calls when doing this. ;P

And while I adjusted to this 40 meter distance, it is not exactly my hunting style too... I prefer to be on safe side, keeping my distance. Maybe not exactly to the point of those "sniping" 150 and more distances, but lets say that I feel good between 75-100 meters if possible. There are of course animal-map combos where we are to some point forced to be closer than this, and then my shotgun is brilliant tool, I realy like it. But due to concerns described above I'm considering to buy a rifle after all.

Now...
I juddge them by couple of factors for game purpouses:
- "damage" (with translates to short blood trail),
- penetration over distance (double lung shot on "big"/tough game from about 75-100 meters; well, this is also associated with short blood trail ;) ),
- allowed for maximal number of species possible still fullfiling first two remarks.
- still relatively good trophy integrity.

We don't know too much about mechanics, but I assume that with "damage" part it is easy - bigger caliber, bigger "damage" - bigger wounds, more bleeding, faster drop down and so on.

But I don't know, how this go with penetration and balancing other factors. We have a chart for moose on the wiki, but I'm interested in yours field experiences as well. I've preselected three rifles:

- 9.3x62 Anschütz 1780 D FL Bolt Action Rifle,
- 8x57 IS Anschütz 1780 D FL Bolt Action Rifle,
- .300 Bolt Action Rifle.

I'm reffering mostly to those of you who have all of them and can compare them basing on own experience. I know that .300 is a "king" when it comes to penetration alone, but I would like to balance this against other factors I've mentioned (especially that we compare only up to 100 meters). :) So I would realy appreciate your help.

If you have some totaly different proposals please bring them up. :)

And of course for some smaller species, that .243 is allowed, I consider to use .243 rilfe whenever I find it enough reliable at given distance, and for better trophy integrity.
Tanngnjostr
Master Hunter

Re: Choosing first rifle (from three preselected) - any advice? :)

Post by Tanngnjostr »

They are all good rifles, but my choice would be the 8x57. The 9.3x62 wobbles a lot and the .300 doesn't allow for quick follow up shots. I don't like the orange camo of the 8x57 too much, but you'll get used to it and what does it really matter. Nothing beats the sound of the 9.3x62 though. :D
As far as I know they have the exact same list of ethical animals (not 100% sure, please someone confirm), so that's not an issue.

If you are willing to extend that list, I'd take a look at the 7mm rifles and the new .30R O/U Break Action rifle. If I had to choose one rifle only, I would probably take the latter. It's a beast and very versatile!
Image Image Image
Sherab86
Hunter

Post by Sherab86 »

Thanks. I'll take a look on those additional you've mentioned. :)

I'm little confused right now about "damage" part, because I've just watched some YouTube recordings, and .300 was droping Wild boars and feral hogs on the spot with lungs shots, while with my shotgun, they usualy run about 10 meteres before droping dead. An I would suppose that 12ga slug is of bigger caliber than .300, right? :P I don't know what to think about this? :/
hunterPRO1
Outfitter

Post by hunterPRO1 »

8x57 anshutz with a 3-9 scope
"you win some, you lose some, you wreck some."
Spoiler:
hunterPRO1
Outfitter

Post by hunterPRO1 »

Sherab86 wrote:Thanks. I'll take a look on those additional you've mentioned. :)

I'm little confused right now about "damage" part, because I've just watched some YouTube recordings, and .300 was droping Wild boars and feral hogs on the spot with lungs shots, while with my shotgun, they usualy run about 10 meteres before droping dead. An I would suppose that 12ga slug is of bigger caliber than .300, right? :P I don't know what to think about this? :/
while it is heavier and larger diameter, the slug is going much slower and has less penetration.
"you win some, you lose some, you wreck some."
Spoiler:
Mills
Outfitter

Post by Mills »

In my opinion I'd go with one of the .30-06 options. My personal favorite is the .30-06 Stutzen. Wide range of permitted species and plenty enough knockdown power for any of them. Lots of scope options available as well.
Tanngnjostr
Master Hunter

Post by Tanngnjostr »

I've never tried to look at this penetration and damage stuff from a "scientific" point, but my impression is that out of those three, the 9.3x62 offers the highest stoppage power, a little better than the .300 and the 8x57. I just wouldn't recommend the 9.3x62 due to the wobble, as I already said. With a good shot placement the 8x57 will also be able to drop everything without problems - big game might run for 100 meters if you only hit one lung though.

The 7mm rifles score with their light weight (the rifle itself and the ammo), their power isn't that far from the 8x57 in my opinion. But I feel that the .30R O/U might be the best package right now... it's got a lot of power and seems to kill bears even with a body shot (not on the spot of course). This is something I have only seen with the .340 and the .45-70 - and those aren't nearly as versatile regarding the species list.
Image Image Image
Sherab86
Hunter

Post by Sherab86 »

hunterPRO1 wrote:while it is heavier and larger diameter, the slug is going much slower and has less penetration.
But I was reffering to my double-lungs shots from 40 meters when it comes to shotgun. I hope no one of you will be offended, but I consider "schools of thinking" based on "energy transition from projectile to target" as not, lets say, scientificaly correct ;) Energy, coupled with sectional density is responsible solely for penetration. But how much "damage" will be done to tissues is a result of caliber and projectile construction (for example amount and reliabity of expansion and/or fragmentation).

So while yes - with shotgun slugs you have to be much closer to achieve same amount of penetration as with .300, but permament wound cavity should be quite large.

But when I was writing this... Well, many modern rifle projectiles do expand and fragmantate very reliably, creating quite devastating permament wound cavity during their first couple of inches of travel trough the body. Much larger than a traditional slug... Maybe devs implemented this to their damage formula.
Sherab86
Hunter

Post by Sherab86 »

Well...

I was asking you for "field" experience, right? :) So if rifles drops down tough animals with double lungs shots, and shotgun not, so it is. ;) I was just confused because I stopped to be sure do I do right judging "damage" by caliber in game.

I'm now most interested in 8 mm and 30R brake action. I'm little biased towards 8 mm because it allows to hunt bison too, but I will have to thing about this. :)

Thanks for all advicec. :)
JK_ElkHunter
Outfitter

Post by JK_ElkHunter »

My first big rifle was the 8x57 Anschütz, I'm by no means dissapointed by the performance of that rifle, I bought it when it was almost new and the 9.3 had just come out. Paired with a 3-9x40 it's a great all rounder and will indeed take on anything on the game. That is if the animals are allowed.

Although, for a beginner I would go for the 7mm bullpup. It's a really good rifle and it's super steady. A more steady version would be the break action one but it's not really that good for follow up shots.

Get the 7mm or the 8x57, you can't go wrong with either of them.
Spoiler:

Return to “General Chat”