is that a bear?

General chat about The Hunter. For suggestions, please use the "Suggestions"-room below.
mcbrocks
Spotter

is that a bear?

Post by mcbrocks »

I was spotting the coordinates that killed a grizzly bear at around 325m at Timbergold Trails, when i figured that those coordinates are in a flat place near a lake (-3788,758). I wonder how can certain people have animals in render at this distance in a flat place where i am not able to spot over 220m? I tryed several times to see "something" at those trophy range coordinates, comming at the right place that animals where killed from and i never saw an animal in render above 230/240m. Am i doing something wrong?

Villkatta
Outfitter

Re: is that a bear?

Post by Villkatta »

Would help if you posted a link to the case in question.
In general: the distance will be longer if he is shooting from an elevated position.

mcbrocks
Spotter

Post by mcbrocks »

Coordinates are there as so as the name of the map, and searching for those coordinates, it seems like a flat place near a lake, not elevated position, thats my confusion.

Tod1d
Lead Moderator
Lead Moderator

Post by Tod1d »

If you stand on that spot & look SE, there is a very high mountain. There is your elevated position.
It's "Tod", with one bloody 'd'!
mcbrocks
Spotter

Post by mcbrocks »

Tod1d wrote:If you stand on that spot & look SE, there is a very high mountain. There is your elevated position.
So if the shot was taken from that position the bear probably was on top of that mountain. We on the top and the animal down there or the opposite way maybe the shot still the same, makes sense.

stancomputerhunter
Trophy Hunter

Post by stancomputerhunter »

It's called the Pythagorean Theorem.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pythagorean_theorem

Image Rares: 86 NTs: 29
Tod1d
Lead Moderator
Lead Moderator

Post by Tod1d »

mcbrocks wrote:
Tod1d wrote:If you stand on that spot & look SE, there is a very high mountain. There is your elevated position.
So if the shot was taken from that position the bear probably was on top of that mountain. We on the top and the animal down there or the opposite way maybe the shot still the same, makes sense.
I've never actually checked, but the coordinates on the scoresheet are either where the animal was harvested, or where it was first hit. I think 'harvested'.
Not where the hunter was shooting from. So, yes, the animal was down by the lake, and the hunter was up on the mountain.
It's "Tod", with one bloody 'd'!
Ringolf
Spotter

Post by Ringolf »

Hi,
from the trophy page of each harvest, you can open a map that shows you the exact position where the shooter and animal were, and the "line of fire".
RidgeBack69
Outfitter

Post by RidgeBack69 »

Also remember those extreme long shot are set up shots usually done in multi player but not always.. the other thing to remember into animals come into render at a shorter distance then they leave render. so it is all part of the setup.
Spoiler:

Return to “General Chat”