TgT - Winter is Coming!

General chat about The Hunter. For suggestions, please use the "Suggestions"-room below.
BucksNBuffalo
Master Hunter

TgT - Winter is Coming!

Post by BucksNBuffalo »

Hey all,

Not sure if I should make this into a bug report, if a moderator would like to move it to the Bugs section feel free.
Anyway, was in the mountains of TgT on a short Bighorn hunt before I went to bed, when I noticed something odd. It seems from above that winter has made a stop in part of TgT. I checked the map to see if maybe I was seeing a bit of WRR, but as you will see on the map, the part that shows covered in snow is actually still TgT. You can see the lake areas covered in snow.

Map view:

As you can clearly see, the view shows the lake areas as snowy, but the map (and of course previous experience) show that this should not be the case. I’m sure actually going down there will be normal, but I didn’t have time to check and won’t be able to until I get home from work later on. As said, I’m sure it’ll be normal tho.
Last edited by BucksNBuffalo on October 16th, 2017, 5:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ravenousfox
Outfitter

Re: TgT - Winter is Coming!

Post by Ravenousfox »

Well I hope that's not a bug, would be for the best considering the Sneaky 3D winter only works on Hemmeldal, you can try the clothing on WRR but you freeze so adding more snow theme maps would be for the better or another swamp themed map. ;)
I have over 1337 kills with my Longbow at 100% kill rate.
My YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPHtNC ... RQ3X3b0TjQ
My Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/rav_fox
BucksNBuffalo
Master Hunter

Post by BucksNBuffalo »

Ravenousfox wrote:Well I hope that's not a bug, would be for the best considering the Sneaky 3D winter only works on Hemmeldal, you can try the clothing on WRR but you freeze so adding more snow theme maps would be for the better or another swamp themed map. ;)
I wouldn’t get your hopes up. I’m pretty positive it’s a bug. Something like that, a change in the map, would have been noted by EW and we would have been told about it.
Ravenousfox
Outfitter

Post by Ravenousfox »

BucksNBuffalo wrote:
Ravenousfox wrote:Well I hope that's not a bug, would be for the best considering the Sneaky 3D winter only works on Hemmeldal, you can try the clothing on WRR but you freeze so adding more snow theme maps would be for the better or another swamp themed map. ;)
I wouldn’t get your hopes up. I’m pretty positive it’s a bug. Something like that, a change in the map, would have been noted by EW and we would have been told about it.
Yeah :|
I do hope they add something like that though, seasons like Spring, Winter, etc.
Would refresh the old maps without making entirely new ones.
I have over 1337 kills with my Longbow at 100% kill rate.
My YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPHtNC ... RQ3X3b0TjQ
My Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/rav_fox
strandjutter
Scout

Post by strandjutter »

If you would have been looking in the direction of SC. there's a river going through a snowy landscape. but if you look on the map there's no snow there at all !

So i quess "Winter is comming"! :-)

supercelldrw
Hunter

Post by supercelldrw »

Ravenousfox wrote:
BucksNBuffalo wrote:
Yeah :|
I do hope they add something like that though, seasons like Spring, Winter, etc.
Would refresh the old maps without making entirely new ones.
Pre rut rut post rut
Spoiler:
stancomputerhunter
Trophy Hunter

Post by stancomputerhunter »

BucksNBuffalo wrote:Hey all,

Not sure if I should make this into a bug report, if a moderator would like to move it to the Bugs section feel free.
Anyway, was in the mountains of TgT on a short Bighorn hunt before I went to bed, when I noticed something odd. It seems from above that winter has made a stop in part of TgT. I checked the map to see if maybe I was seeing a bit of WRR, but as you will see on the map, the part that shows covered in snow is actually still TgT. You can see the lake areas covered in snow.

Map view:

As you can clearly see, the view shows the lake areas as snowy, but the map (and of course previous experience) show that this should not be the case. I’m sure actually going down there will be normal, but I didn’t have time to check and won’t be able to until I get home from work later on. As said, I’m sure it’ll be normal tho.
I noticed that phenomenon yesterday too. I have also seen additions to the snow in the mountains in TGT compared to when it was first released. Look at some old videos and look at now.

Image Rares: 86 NTs: 29
Tod1d
Lead Moderator
Lead Moderator

Post by Tod1d »

Looks like the copied the terrain types from WRR, and didn't bother changing the lowest LOD (furthest distance) from snow covered mountainous terrain.

As you walk closer, does the line of demarcation between the fall & winter terrain also move? Can you measure that distance with the RF?

Whether it's a "bug" or not is up to EW to determine. perhaps they intended to change that LOD, but forgot or ran out of time. Perhaps they intentionally didn't bother.
Or perhaps they just overlooked it altogether. It doesn't break any intended function of the game, so if they decide it's not something that's worth taking the time to fix, then rather than a "bug", it's more of an "undocumented feature".

You could submit it in the Environment Bugs forum, but I suspect it will dangle off the bottom of the priorities list.
It's "Tod", with one bloody 'd'!
BucksNBuffalo
Master Hunter

Post by BucksNBuffalo »

Well, you see Tod, it wasn’t like that previously. I’ve spent a lot of time on those slopes and I can assure you that this is new.
As a matter of fact, I found a previous picture of the same area, albeit a different angle.

So I would say it’s probably a bug that accidentally made it through in the most recent patch, tho a graphics bug.
But...that’s ok. This is why I do not really file any bug reports. I learned that a while back. I remember when I reported the slow inventory/map bug, and I got told by the moderator that it was from my machine and they were not going to approve it because it only affected me. And look how that turned out. So, it is a clear graphical bug, but if you don’t think so, that’s fine with me and I’ll drop it.
TheSheWolf
Hunter

Post by TheSheWolf »

What he's saying is to try and go closer/farther away and see if it changes. You're closer in that pic; if you move to that same angle nowadays, will it look snowy or not? He's trying to determine the cause of the bug.

Basically TgT mountains, when at "long distance" load, look snowy, but when you get closer should look like just rock. It's why the stupid line's so sharply defined, and that line should move as you do. This is because "distant" and "close" objects use different game models--distant ones use simpler models to help with graphics load. This is how it is for most games.

So very far away, TgT looks snowy; closer up it doesn't. This may be a new bug, regardless, but see if it changes by distance.

Return to “General Chat”