How much active players is there in the game?

General chat about The Hunter. For suggestions, please use the "Suggestions"-room below.
Graidlyz
Spotter

Re: How much active players is there in the game?

Post by Graidlyz »

Violator31 wrote:
Graidlyz wrote:Since everyone complains about pricing but the company apprently really needs "that much".
"Everyone" is a pretty broad sweep.
$35 a year isn't bad for this part of "everyone". Just under $3.00 a month for as many hours as I want to play. Rent a movie for that price (if you can) & see how many times you can watch it in the time period allowed. It's all about what you can afford & how you take advantage of your purchase. Once a year the $35 isn't going to bankrupt me, or prevent me from paying my bills, and for all the years I've been playing my money/hours is roughly fifty cents an hour (last time I checked). So I'm not part of the "everyone" you mention.
I understand there are a lot of younger people playing. People that may not have their own income & I would hope that the people responsible for them would realize that the $35 could be a very good investment considering the other things these people could be doing. There was a guy that dropped into my server a few times that had a hard time keeping his membership status going. He used birthday money & money he was able to save in order to play. I felt bad for him because he really liked the game. I remember when my kids were growing up, at Christmas time I'd get them a game or 2 for $40+. And then next year a newer version would come out & they would ask for it. It was annoying to purchase the newer version but they had so much fun with it, it was worth it to me.
I didn't mention that by "everyone" i mean many peopel who find out about the game, whenever i check out comments of retail versions on amazon, or on steam, people bash the game because of the price.

I doubt people in this forum is a part of that "everyone", otherwise they probably wouldn't even be here.
And yes, I agree with you, obviously paying for this game won't make anyone go bankrupt, but you can't deny that this game is still more expensive than quite a lot of other games.
Graidlyz
Spotter

Post by Graidlyz »

Hawkeye wrote:
Graidlyz wrote:Since everyone complains about pricing but the company apprently really needs "that much".
As far as users go, the past 2 weeks saw around 43k unique users.
Are they all active users that pay for the game though?
Seeing how the game is bashed by tons of players on steam/keey selling sites etc...
I personally doubt many are staying
Hawkeye
Outfitter

Post by Hawkeye »

Graidlyz wrote:
Hawkeye wrote:
As far as users go, the past 2 weeks saw around 43k unique users.
Are they all active users that pay for the game though?
Seeing how the game is bashed by tons of players on steam/keey selling sites etc...
I personally doubt many are staying
They are unique players that played during that time frame. There is no way to tell if they are retained. I had found some numbers earlier this year, but will have to do a little research to find that source again. Take Steam reviews with a grain of salt though, as most have nothing to do with the gameplay & everything to do with the business model.
Levado
Scout

Post by Levado »

Ravenousfox wrote:You can see COTW has 1,200+ active players while Classic has a all time low of 336 active players.
You cannot take a snapshot during the day and then claim that we're at an all time low. The game is doing just fine right now and seems to gain momentum again after COTW was released and the current numbers aren't much lower compared to 2016 around the same month.

Hunter Score 71k+ ● Playing Since 2009 ● Favorite Species: all deer
Dave1776
Tracker

Post by Dave1776 »

Violator31 wrote:
Dave1776 wrote:asking about Call of the Wild as same game basically but would be a one time fee as compared to annual fee but have to look all things over!
I understand. I bought that game when it first came out. It's very cool, but I haven't played it in a long time, less than 15 hours I think. I probably need to upgrade my PC to get the best game from it, but that isn't in my budget right now - and won't be for a while. Plus, I have all the years, & $$$ wrapped up in this game so I'm locked in.
Yeah see my case I started in 2013 and was frustrated with this so stopped then started again the other day with better luck this time so was considering a membership but then that's $50 a year for the full package as compared to $29.99 one time then only upgrades after that if I chose to buy them like new maps and weapons and such but won't have to pay a ton to get all the main portions of the game reason this COTW has perked my interest since I don't have tons of time in one Classic it's not so much to lose and I can still play it free if I chose, but gonna look COTW over fully first!
Dave1776
Ravenousfox
Outfitter

Post by Ravenousfox »

Levado wrote:You cannot take a snapshot during the day and then claim that we're at an all time low. The game is doing just fine right now and seems to gain momentum again after COTW was released and the current numbers aren't much lower compared to 2016 around the same month.
Yes I can. ;)
Look at the Avg. Players list. That's what everyone should be looking at you'll see Feb 2017 had 1k players! but then COTW was released during that month and the Avg. Players did start to drop just when Classic was averaging 1k.
You can't just say nothing happened during that time period.
Also the op asked "How much active players is there in this game?" that's what my screenshot gave.
I have over 1337 kills with my Longbow at 100% kill rate.
My YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPHtNC ... RQ3X3b0TjQ
My Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/rav_fox
caledonianblues
Master Hunter

Post by caledonianblues »

Ravenousfox wrote:Also the op asked "How much active players is there in this game?" that's what my screenshot gave.
Not quite, your screenshot shows how many active Steam players there, but it doesn't really answer the original question. Only Expansive Worlds could answer that question, and they most likely won't. There seems to be an assumption that the majority of players access the game via Steam. Again, without access to the data, any guesses at the ratio of Steam to web players is purely speculative and most likely way off.
Levado
Scout

Post by Levado »

[/img]
Ravenousfox wrote:You can't just say nothing happened during that time period.
I never said that. I also don't understand why you feel the need to tell me that the averages dropped after COTW was released, because you're not telling me anything new. I and many other players already predicted that before COTW was released, it's just common sense to assume that Classic would suffer, we didn't need Steamcharts for that. On top of that, I was showing a screenshot that shows that Classic suffered, so I'm clearly not trying to fool anyone.

The screenshots speak for themselves. The numbers for September 2016 and September 2017 are pretty similar and when I wrote that the game is gaining momentum again, I base this on % Gain:

Ravenousfox wrote:Also the op asked "How much active players is there in this game?" that's what my screenshot gave.
My comment was only related to the fact that you claimed that it was an all-time low. I even quoted your comment and wrote "You cannot take a snapshot during the day and then claim that we're at an all-time low.". But since you're steering the discussion into a discussion about your screenshot, I'm going to respond that.

This is what you wrote:
You can see COTW has 1,200+ active players while Classic has a all time low of 336 active players
● Those are not 336 active players, those are the number of players playing when the last hourly snapshot was taken.
● The number varies and can go over 1,000.
● You can never tell how many active players this game had during the day based on these numbers.

That 336 was an hourly snapshot an nothing more. Even the snapshot isn't accurate, because it only counts the number of players at that exact moment in time. So if the system takes a snapshot at 4PM, then it's the number of people playing at 4PM, the number of people playing at 3:40PM would most likely be different.

"Avg. Players" doesn't show the average unique players per day, but the average players per hourly snapshot for that period.
"Peak players" doesn't show how the record number of unique players playing per period, but the highest number of players during an hourly snapshot for that period.

Let's assume that the snapshot of 5AM is showing 600 players and that the snapshot of 6AM is showing 700 players. Does that mean that an extra 100 players joined? No, it could be that 400 of the 600 people left and that 500 new players joined, which would bring the total to 600+500(new) = 1,100 unique players.

Needless to say that your 336 isn't very accurate, the total number of unique players per day is far higher, it's most likely in the thousands, especially when we consider that not every player is using Steam to play this game. Also take into consideration that not every day will see the same players, so 600 players unique of day #1 might not show up on day #2, but 300 other unique players instead.

To sum it up: I was correct when I wrote "You cannot take a snapshot during the day and then claim that we're at an all time low".

And like I said before, that 336 that you mentioned is based on the number of players playing during an hourly snapshot and nowhere on the internet will you find what the all-time low was of that hourly snapshot, so your claim that it's an all-time low is only an assumption. Not that it really matters, since the OP is only interested in the number of active players, which only EW knows. Nothing on Steamcharts or anywhere else will help us to figure out how many active players this game has, all we can see as players is trends, which aren't always accurate.

I'm also going tell you why I decided to put so much effort into this post.

Like many active players I've spent a lot of money on this game and for me personally it was completely worth it, I don't regret any of it. Secondly, I'm quite aware that they'll pull the plug eventually, but I can completely live with that, because I'm also not going to cry over the money that I spent on a good vacation. What I don't want to see is that we might give people the impression based on false interpretations of Steamcharts or based on false assumptions that the game is in a really poor state (which is not the case), which might result in players losing fate in the game, which will do the game no good. In plain English; I want this game to last a bit longer.
Ravenousfox
Outfitter

Post by Ravenousfox »

@Levado
I gave a screenshot to the op as regards to the monthly active player base as his subject was: "How much active players is there in the game?"

You're looking at the % gain column per month which is calculated from the current month average player and the previous month average player totals.
Depending on the average player monthly figures going up or down dictates whether the %gain column shows an increase or loss.

We're both looking at the same info but just picking different categories.
I have over 1337 kills with my Longbow at 100% kill rate.
My YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPHtNC ... RQ3X3b0TjQ
My Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/rav_fox
Levado
Scout

Post by Levado »

Ravenousfox wrote:We're both looking at the same info but just picking different categories.
Did you actually read anything I wrote or did you only look at my screenshot? :?
If you would have to taken the time to read what I wrote, then you wouldn't have responded the way you do now. I didn't make claims about the number of active players at all, only you do! Heck, I even explained why it's impossible for us to know how many active players this game has and that only EW knows. I only wrote that the game is gaining momentum again based on gain % and nothing more.

I will quote you again:
You can see COTW has 1,200+ active players while Classic has a all time low of 336 active players.
You make the claim that there are 336 active players. It's completely wrong and I've also explained in great detail why I come to that conclusion and I've also explained why it's impossible for us to figure out how many active players this game has. If you disagreed, then you should have proven me wrong.

I also clearly wrote "My comment was only related to the fact that you claimed that it was an all-time low" and " But since you're steering the discussion into a discussion about your screenshot, I'm going to respond that". Didn't you read those comments? Your claim of an "all-time low" is something you made up, unless you can prove me wrong. You make this discussion really hard when you just skip over my comments, so this is where my discussion with you ends, sorry.

Happy hunting! ;)

Return to “General Chat”