TheHunter retail keys don't exist anymore?

General chat about The Hunter. For suggestions, please use the "Suggestions"-room below.
Graidlyz
Spotter

Post by Graidlyz »

Isn't there supposed to a new one released each year?
JimboCrow
Outfitter

Re: TheHunter retail keys don't exist anymore?

Post by JimboCrow »

They have discontinued the retail versions.
Graidlyz
Spotter

Post by Graidlyz »

Why though?
caledonianblues
Master Hunter

Post by caledonianblues »

There's not supposed to be one each year, per se. They used to do it, but I think there are two valid reasons why they probably stopped:
  • some retail sites were selling them for ridiculously low prices, which most likely meant little to no profit for Expansive Worlds (maybe even losses in some cases)
  • a retail edition of the game is a commitment on a timescale with specific content, and that almost spelled disaster for this game once before
They were a good deal for the consumer on the face of it. They were bad for the game however, financially and in terms of promising to have X, Y and Z ready for release on a specific date. I sincerely hope they decided to can the idea. This game relies on membership fees, and being able to buy a 12 month subscription for a few Euros or a few bucks is just not going to sustain the development of the game.
Graidlyz
Spotter

Post by Graidlyz »

caledonianblues wrote:There's not supposed to be one each year, per se. They used to do it, but I think there are two valid reasons why they probably stopped:
  • some retail sites were selling them for ridiculously low prices, which most likely meant little to no profit for Expansive Worlds (maybe even losses in some cases)
  • a retail edition of the game is a commitment on a timescale with specific content, and that almost spelled disaster for this game once before
They were a good deal for the consumer on the face of it. They were bad for the game however, financially and in terms of promising to have X, Y and Z ready for release on a specific date. I sincerely hope they decided to can the idea. This game relies on membership fees, and being able to buy a 12 month subscription for a few Euros or a few bucks is just not going to sustain the development of the game.
Is this the same reason why they removed Pioneer membership :?:
caledonianblues
Master Hunter

Post by caledonianblues »

Graidlyz wrote:Is this the same reason why they removed Pioneer membership :?:
The pioneer membership was offered by the previous owners of the game, Emote. I believe they decided to offer that membership option because times were hard and they needed a cash injection. Expansive Worlds honoured that membership but have never offered anything similar. But the Pioneer membership was not a few bucks, so it's not really comparable.
Graidlyz
Spotter

Post by Graidlyz »

caledonianblues wrote:The pioneer membership was offered by the previous owners of the game, Emote. I believe they decided to offer that membership option because times were hard and they needed a cash injection. Expansive Worlds honoured that membership but have never offered anything similar. But the Pioneer membership was not a few bucks, so it's not really comparable.

I would definitely buy it for 200$
Stay 10 years on the game and it basically becomes a few bucks.
DHRifleman
Team Hunter

Post by DHRifleman »

caledonianblues wrote:
Graidlyz wrote:Is this the same reason why they removed Pioneer membership :?:
The pioneer membership was offered by the previous owners of the game, Emote. I believe they decided to offer that membership option because times were hard and they needed a cash injection. Expansive Worlds honoured that membership but have never offered anything similar. But the Pioneer membership was not a few bucks, so it's not really comparable.
Actually the pioneer membership was not honored as it was sold. Lifetime membership remained but the equivalent amount of em$ for the $200 were given in lieu of everything ever created included.
The pioneer was a money grab for a company going down.
The retail was intended to get the items on the shelves of local stores, but ended up just being another internet sale option where EW made next to nothing on them. It was an advertising tool that didn't really make sense one the game went to steam.
The above statements are strictly my opinion, and should not be taken as fact, even if I believe them to be true.
Antlercreeklodge.com Tournaments
Permitted Weapons per Reserve By ClemD
supercelldrw
Hunter

Post by supercelldrw »

Uhh Oh few of us just bought remainder of the retail versions
Spoiler:
JimboCrow
Outfitter

Post by JimboCrow »

supercelldrw wrote:Uhh Oh few of us just bought remainder of the retail versions
How much did you get them for and which year were they from?

Return to “General Chat”