Travel time after hitting big game

General chat about The Hunter. For suggestions, please use the "Suggestions"-room below.
abslayer
Master Competitor

Post by abslayer »

The way it plays now EW needs to change name from THE HUNTER to THE TRACKER
Lung shot deer with bow as it plays now either drop on the spot or can travel over 500 m.
Also dropping on spot with a bow lung shot or heart this DOES not happen.
This is Nuts. :(
I have shot over 100 deer REAL bow hunting, lung shot never travel over 75 M most of the time less than 50M
EW has change travel times at least 300% longer of what it use to play.
This needs to be correct.
Last hunt I shot a G bear with .454 pistol , I gut shot him track him for around 700 M to find him.
2 others body shot I never found them.
I would like to spend my time hunting NOT tracking.
Please EW look into this
caledonianblues
Master Hunter

Re: Travel time after hitting big game

Post by caledonianblues »

Hunting and tracking go hand in hand, no? But so we're clear, you're saying that you never want to see an animal drop on the spot when shot with an arrow, but you also don't want to have to track them too far? Actually I'm sort of with you on animals not dropping on the spot when shot with an arrow. That's one thing I would probably change about the game, but then, it wouldn't be as much fun. As unrealistic as it is, dropping an animal on the spot with an arrow is quite satisfying, and it is a game at the end of the day. I agree though, in real life it would take a very special shot with an arrow to kill an animal instantly. That being said, the same is true for a shot with a bullet. I'm no hunter but I've spoken to enough experienced hunters to know it almost never happens. Again though, it's satisfying when it happens in the game.

As for having to track a bear 700 meters after a gut shot, I'm not sure what the issue is there. I think that's a reasonable outcome. I have no idea whether a bear in the wild would flee that far with a gut shot, but from a gameplay point of view I think it's an appropriate "penalty" for taking a lousy shot. And the two that you body shot and never found ... well, maybe the issue isn't how the animals react to poorly placed shots, but the fact your shots are poorly placed. If you get a body shot on an animal, you should have to track it for a while. It's not for me to say but I honestly can't find a valid argument in your post that would convince Alena or Patrick to make any changes.

If you want to spend more time hunting and less time tracking, get yourself to the shooting range in Redfeather Falls and practice your shot placement on the animals. Or (dons marketing hat) buy yourself a scent hound. I hear they're pretty good at tracking animals :)
abslayer
Master Competitor

Post by abslayer »

abslayer wrote:
I see you you skip about lung shot deer going 500 and over M
I have hunted all my life and trust me a gut shot anything will lay down within 200 m or closer and die there if left for a while
Lung shot max 100m
Also this is not a issue about my shooting in game it is a issue of over the top fleeing animals.
And not very accurate hit boxes on animals that causes all the other tracking problems.
One time as you put it a lousy shot results in a dead deer on the spot next time body shot , but that is another issue altogether

Now when lung shot animals stop bleeding used to be where they died before about 100m or less.
Not so anymore they carry on now with no blood sign for hundreds of more M
Last edited by abslayer on September 26th, 2017, 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TreeKiwi
Community Manager
Community Manager

Post by TreeKiwi »

abslayer wrote:abslayer wrote:
I see you you skip about lung shot deer going 500 and over M
I have hunted all my life and trust me a gut shot anything will lay down within 200 m or closer and die there if left for a while
Lung shot max 100m
Also this is not a issue about my shooting in game it is a issue of over the top fleeing animals.
And not very accurate hit boxes on animals that causes all the other tracking problems.
One time as you put it a lousy shot results in a dead deer on the spot next time body shot , but that is another issue altogether

Now when lung shot animals stop bleeding used to be where they died before about 100m or less.
Not so anymore they carry on now with no blood sign for hundreds of more M

For something to go 500m with a lung shot im guessing (I can only guess because it doesn't happen to me) that:
A, you must be chasing after it... as if you let it calm down it dies pretty much on the spot the moment it stops fleeing.

Or B, you are shooting at great range with the arrow.

Because I have never had anything go over 200m with a single shot lung and I'm confused at how they can go 500m... unless you are exaggerating?

Some of the hitboxes are definitely not correct if you match them up with the organ chart that the provide on the harvest screen. So just adjust your shots. Because if you keep shooting it in the same place you will get the same results. You say you are a good shot so just adjust where you are aiming and you won't be having these issues you are describing :)
DanthemanBoone
Outfitter

Post by DanthemanBoone »

Even though Im way past getting wound up about it, I have to back up A.B. on this.
I have played hunting games since back in the 90 s, with Deer Hunter 1,2, and 3, and abslayer was around even before I started.
Everywhere I went he had been before me.

This game has the worst inconsistencies with hit boxes and animal mortality of any game I have ever played.
Which is really such a pity because from the beginning this game had the potential to be the best ever, but it just keeps falling short in so many ways.

I think what frustrates real life hunters the most is having to adjust the target areas to suit the game, rather than being able to put the bullet in the the real life zone, in order to get a real life result. I cant agree with caledonianblues that instant kills with a rifle are also a rare occurrence
Prime examples are ..

1. Head shots. Any medium size animal shot with a high powered rifle in the upper skull area, Jaw Excluded, will drop whether the brain is hit or not.

2. Neck shots. Even when shot with a 222/223 anywhere in the neck above the windpipe, deer to the size of elk will be down and paralyzed, the neck bones or spinal cords do not even have to be hit. ( Initially they had this right, but EW changed it because they felt it would encourage more accurate shot placement ) DOH!

3. Gut shots. Any Pig shot in the intestines will usually sit immediately on its backside and scream blue bloody murder, they dont run even 50 yards. ( unless they see you and decide to try and get you) But we all know how far gut shot pigs run in this game. Great for getting your scent hounds skills up.

4. Heart lungs. You can get instant heart and lung kills with rifles, especially when the animal is in a relaxed state and unaware of the hunter. But if they have seen or smelt you and are in an state of high alertness they will probably run up to 100 yards, before lack of circulated oxygen grinds them into the deck.

So yeah, I say go A.B. Im with you 100%
Old hunters never die.They just sit around the campfires and tell the biggest lies.
TreeKiwi
Community Manager
Community Manager

Post by TreeKiwi »

Everything you wrote Dan is 100% correct in real life...

I was more trying to point out, kind of like you did. That if you keep shooting the same place in this game you are going to get the same result. So to address the problem he has mentioned he has to place his shots differently, so he doesn't have to chase the wounded animals. It's like walking into a wall repeatedly hoping someone will move it for you. Sure the wall (hit boxes) are in the wrong place, but you don't keep walking into it... as right or wrong as it is.
TheSheWolf
Hunter

Post by TheSheWolf »

Single-lung shots with deer/bow can go frustratingly far, I agree. Other than that I can't really comment on any of this as I'm not an IRL hunter :lol: But I will say I've found the scenthound to be one of my favorite acquisitions, particularly for heavy brush maps (TGT, Whiteheart, etc).
EW_Graham
Community Manager
Community Manager

Post by EW_Graham »

Thank you for the feedback folks, we are watching. :)
Tod1d
Lead Moderator
Lead Moderator

Post by Tod1d »

It sounds like the argument here is for more consistency & predictability. I for one, would lobby against this.

IRL, I have seen a deer single lung shot with an arrow travel over a mile. And that's not being pushed. I have seen a single lung rifle shot live for nearly 3 hours.
I saw a deer with an arrow through it's head travel 2 miles before it laid down & died.
I have only ever seen one deer that dropped on the spot with an arrow shot. The arrow struck a rib, bent, and travel directly upward into the spine.

Every year I hunt I see something new that challenges my beliefs about deer behavior. I would hate to see the game changed to be further away from this.

I think there are far more variables IRL than there are in the game. And that challenge is what makes it exciting & fun.

I would not like to see EVERY animal with a single lung hit NEVER travel more than 75m.
I'll agree that most lung shot animals don't travel very far, but there are exceptions & the game should reflect that.

I would like to see results in-game based more on precise shot placement. And as Dan mentioned, animal state when hit should play a part.
I'm OK with the instant kill for a well placed shot, even if it's not very realistic. But I would be happy to see it changed.

I would like to see the 3D models adjusted to more accurately reflect organ placement. Mostly just heart location. And there shouldn't be a space between the lungs.

There are plenty of areas for improvement in the game. But making it more predictable, I think would make it less fun.

Be Well
It's "Tod", with one bloody 'd'!
abslayer
Master Competitor

Post by abslayer »

Take a look how far do you think bear ran ?
And still needed a finish off shot at least 700 or more M
\Image

Return to “General Chat”