Finally a reason to use the .243

General chat about The Hunter. For suggestions, please use the "Suggestions"-room below.
xAncalagonx
Outfitter

Finally a reason to use the .243

Post by xAncalagonx »

I have barely touched the .243 since 2011 or thereabouts.

All other guns in the game simply offer better versatility in both firepower (thus allowing you to use them on a wider range of animals) as well as most guns in the game now having magazines as well.

So the poor old .243 has pretty much been collecting dust ever since.

But now with the bobcats in the game the .243 has suddenly become my favorite rifle (for bobcat hunting anyways). It's the largest gun you can use on the bobcats, with enough hitting power to pretty much drop any cat dead in its tracks at any (rendering) distance.

Heck, I even got to use the .243 on a couple annoying Mulies who refused to vacate the area.

What about the rest of you guys? Did you dust off the old .243 again for the bobcats or are you preferring the .223, .17HMR or shotguns and bows for cat business?
L3M182
Outfitter

Re: Finally a reason to use the .243

Post by L3M182 »

its fantastic for anything bellow blacktail deer.
Essacksumra
Spotter

Post by Essacksumra »

I like it upto mulies like it gives you a challenge for not taking a hasty shot and missing the vitals
TreeKiwi
Community Manager
Community Manager

Post by TreeKiwi »

.243 is a good choice on WHI, loggers, SC and RB now. Its good on a long range cat or deer and the rest you can just use the bow on :)
SloNeZ
Scout

Post by SloNeZ »

The .243, even with its shortcomings(still single fire, really?) has always been my favorite fox gun. I have the marble .223 but it falls short of the .243 for fox, and now bobcat at least in my opinion.
If more mid size predatory and prey animals are introduced in the future , the underpowered EW version of the .243 will become more relevant with each new mid range animal.
And with the aesthetic improvements that were implemented to this weapon it's even more enjoyable since it was undoubtedly one of the ugliest guns to choose from, albeit one of the original models.
Even the report has been reworked and even though the cannon like roar of the original sounded great it didn't fit with the underwhelming performance of the weapon on most species.
The new report is a better fit, again, at least in my opinion.
Most of us who have played this game for several years have many memories afield with the old .243; Some good, some bad, but it's what most of us started on and is still the default weapon although the single shot shotgun is also available to guests now.
It's nice to see the old .243 getting a second chance.
Hawkeye
Outfitter

Post by Hawkeye »

Don't underestimate the .243 in WRR either. It's nice to be able to shoot arctic fox, sitka deer & dall sheep with the same weapon.
BucksNBuffalo
Master Hunter

Post by BucksNBuffalo »

Hawkeye wrote:Don't underestimate the .243 in WRR either. It's nice to be able to shoot arctic fox, sitka deer & dall sheep with the same weapon.
EXACTLY. The .243 is my rifle of choice for the smaller animals of WRR.
SloNeZ
Scout

Post by SloNeZ »

Hawkeye wrote:Don't underestimate the .243 in WRR either. It's nice to be able to shoot arctic fox, sitka deer & dall sheep with the same weapon.
Good point. Since I usually hunt mostly with bows and crossbows I don't recall if I've used the .243 in EW's winter wonderland but I can definitely agree that it's a good choice for the species you mentioned.
The old .243 still has a place in the game even with all the different weapons that have since been added.
I just wish it, and the .300 would finally be changed to a 5 round configuration like they're supposed to be.
By the way; After mentioning the new look and sound of the .243 I realized I have been using the .243 Carbon the past couple of hunts, not the traditional wood model. I guess the report is the same for both though, right?
Last edited by SloNeZ on September 21st, 2017, 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hawkeye
Outfitter

Post by Hawkeye »

SloNeZ wrote:
Good point. Since I usually hunt mostly with bows and crossbows I don't recall if I've used the .243 in EW's winter wonderland but I can definitely concur that it's just right for the species you mentioned.
The old .243 still has a place in the game even with all the different weapons that have since been added.
I just wish it, and the .300 would finally be changed to a 5 round configuration like they're supposed to be.
By the way; After I mentioned the new look and sound of the .243 I realized I have been using the .243 Carbon the past couple of hunts, not the traditional wood model. I guess the report is the same for both though, right?
Yeah, the only difference between the 2 is the skins.
RidgeBack69
Outfitter

Post by RidgeBack69 »

We know that the .243 and the .300 will never go to a mag feed But a new .243 mag fed rifle is something I would buy if it were introduced.
Spoiler:

Return to “General Chat”