What rifle for bigger game could be my choice?

General chat about The Hunter. For suggestions, please use the "Suggestions"-room below.
Veniathan
Tracker

Re: What rifle for bigger game could be my choice?

Post by Veniathan »

Personally I do recommend the .300. Yeah the one bullet in the barrel sucks, but at least it does the job.
nachthexe
Hunter

Post by nachthexe »

Personally, I recommend the 9.3x62 Anschütz 1780 D FL Bolt Action Rifle, there are several reasons for that:

1. The swaying can be mitigated by simply laying down and is totally negated if you are shooting from a tower.

2. A Wider range of animals, you can even still shoot Coyote and Roe Deer with it. Speak about overkill. For example, you can cover all VdB animals beside foxes and rabbits with one rifle.

3. You can use the 2-6x26mm Rifle Scope with it, which has a very nice yellow crosshair and helps me with aiming in darker forest areas and with animals with a dark coat at short to intermediate range.

4. You can also use the 12x50mm Rifle Scope with it for long-range shots.

5. You can use the Aimpoint H34L for good awareness at feeders and for point-blank and short-range shots. Those Grizzlies!

I personally really enjoy points 3-5.
Code: Select all
Hunter96

Post by Hunter96 »

First of all, i want to thank you all for this wonderfull replys, advices and tips. I enjoyed and read all of your comments on this subject. And i have purchased 9.3x62 Anschutz. Just because it's a good all rounder.
I'll work on sway with gun stand for the begining. And again, thank you all for this replys. It meant so much and thats why we have this forum.
You can find me on TheHunter as JagermeisteR_MMXIII.
Cheers lads!
RidgeBack69
Outfitter

Post by RidgeBack69 »

Don't count out the Dirty-06 (30-06) IMO it is the king of the follow-up shot and is ethical for all the big game in THC

Oops a bit late. Sorry
Spoiler:
Essacksumra
Spotter

Post by Essacksumra »

Go for the 8x57 its the best all round rifle for medium to large game its my personal fav.
RickC
Outfitter

Post by RickC »

RidgeBack69 wrote:Don't count out the Dirty-06 (30-06) IMO it is the king of the follow-up shot and is ethical for all the big game in THC

Oops a bit late. Sorry
Not for Bison though.

It is still my favorite old rifle too.
SloNeZ
Scout

Post by SloNeZ »

DavidGlerum wrote:The Anschütz 9.3 is a nice all-rounder, and once you get the weapon level up a bit, the sway get's workable. Plus; you can kill anything from roe deer to bison with it.
The 7mm: Go-to rifle for a lot of hunters. Butt ugly though (bullpup)
.300: Marksman's rifle. Round has good penetration and the weapon gives little sway as soon as you hit lvl 5, which is in no time. Also a broad array of targets.
45-70: Big boom, big bang. Sounds delicious, drops a bison at 200m.
Weatherby: Hit a moose in the pinkytoe and it will die of a heartattack.
However; if you are specifically looking for a big game rifle, and like somewhat of authenticity and a bit of challenge, have a look at the 45-70 Buffalo rifle.
Beautifully modelled, lovely sound. Even without scope it works great and has a nice ironsight, with scope you get a reliable heavy caliber hunting rifle for elks and up.
I agree with everything except the insensitive shaming of the bullpup just because she don't look like the rest of the rifles. :)
It's actually modeled after a real rifle, there's a pic somewhere in the forums.
But I absolutely agree about the 45.70 Buffalo Rifle. I affectionally call it Buffalo Bill and it's my go to long gun when I want big things to stop and drop. Don't fret over it being single shot, you usually don't need a second one.
If you're thinking about herd hammerin', you know, dropping the first animal and then hitting one or two more before they fly out of render range at just under the speed of light;
For medium to big game:
30.06 lever action
7mm Bullpup
12g with slugs(had a ton of fun with this rig before I started getting other weapons)
For the Big, really big game:
45.70 Lever action
I've only shot the .340 once or twice so I can't speak of the reload speed or how it is on fast animals trying to get to the other side of the planet before you blow holes in them. But the 45.70 works great on buffalo herds.
The 8x57 IS Anschütz 1780 D FL Bolt Action Rifle is a great choice too but it's been so long since I've used it I can't remember if it's quick with follow up shots or not.
Hawkeye
Outfitter

Post by Hawkeye »

SloNeZ wrote: It's actually modeled after a real rifle, there's a pic somewhere in the forums.
It is modeled after a real rifle. A real "ugly" rifle.

L3M182
Outfitter

Post by L3M182 »

Hawkeye wrote:
SloNeZ wrote: It's actually modeled after a real rifle, there's a pic somewhere in the forums.
It is modeled after a real rifle. A real "ugly" rifle.

its called the Keppler KSV and its a german rifle thats got a price tag that will give you a nose bleed
moyal
Spotter

Post by moyal »

Return to “General Chat”