new .17 HMR Lever Action Rifle

General chat about The Hunter. For suggestions, please use the "Suggestions"-room below.
TreeKiwi
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: new .17 HMR Lever Action Rifle

Post by TreeKiwi »

Alphamale1956 wrote:More or Less power than .22LR? I mean killing power (internal damage) since there's no write-up on it yet. If it has less killing power than the .22LR, then why is it allowed for foxes and the .22LR is not?
Check out my new video... I shoot some foxes with it. Tried it on arctic foxes as well... chest shot those and they just run off. I'm not so keen on it for foxes. But I will keep trying! :)
Alphamale1956
Outfitter

Post by Alphamale1956 »

TreeKiwi wrote:
Alphamale1956 wrote:More or Less power than .22LR? I mean killing power (internal damage) since there's no write-up on it yet. If it has less killing power than the .22LR, then why is it allowed for foxes and the .22LR is not?
Check out my new video... I shoot some foxes with it. Tried it on arctic foxes as well... chest shot those and they just run off. I'm not so keen on it for foxes. But I will keep trying! :)
What about head shots? Penetration? I know the .17 HMR is way more ballistic than the JHP .22LR but will the higher velocity make headshots more preferred?
Generalkommendant
Hunter

Post by Generalkommendant »

Yeah, worth it or not? Would be fun to hear.

Why isn't there a thread about this one in the "Store Item Reviews"?
Fletchette
Trophy Hunter

Post by Fletchette »

Generalkommendant wrote:Yeah, worth it or not? Would be fun to hear.

Why isn't there a thread about this one in the "Store Item Reviews"?
Because David, (Caledonianblues), is traveling and those are his threads....
Personal Bests...
Schlachtwolf
Hunter

Post by Schlachtwolf »

I also don't understand why it is .17 is allowed for foxes and the .22 not, but whatever. I shot a few foxes with it up to around 70m and they all ran no matter where I placed the shot and ran and ran.... so if you want to up your tracking skills I recommend the .17, if you however want to harvest the animal in under 30 mins I would use (as it is the best for foxes in my opinion) the good old .223 semi auto or the .243 bolt action. Now a .243 lever action type of thing would be fun..... the .30-30 is the greatest waste of space in the game.

Cheers

Schlachtwolf
My opinion may not be right, but it is the one I like most :D

Renedupre
Spotter

Post by Renedupre »

I bought it because it seemed a good thing to have a rifle with which you could shoot both rabbits and foxes, but I was disappointed I found it ineffective for the red foxes (two affected and two escaped) we hope to get better for foxes Arctic
Generalkommendant
Hunter

Post by Generalkommendant »

Fletchette wrote:
Generalkommendant wrote:Why isn't there a thread about this one in the "Store Item Reviews"?
Because David, (Caledonianblues), is traveling and those are his threads....
OK. Well, from what I can sense in this thread it's not going into my inventory. For now at least.
BCKidd

Post by BCKidd »

Every fox I have shot with it never dies as quickly as I would expect. For birds and rabbits not so bad. Forget about using it on foxes tho', for now at least, maybe they (EW) will increase its performance over time. 'Till then- I'll keep using it and improve the skills for it. ;) Peace.

BCKidd.

"Patience and perseverance, are not an option if you want that trophy, they are a necessity."

Keep it real!
"Careful, David, he's Canadian......They eat people you know." Fletchette.
TreeKiwi
Community Manager
Community Manager

Post by TreeKiwi »

BCKidd wrote:Every fox I have shot with it never dies as quickly as I would expect. For birds and rabbits not so bad. Forget about using it on foxes tho', for now at least, maybe they (EW) will increase its performance over time. 'Till then- I'll keep using it and improve the skills for it. ;) Peace.

BCKidd.

I echo this. Its a fun gun but not recommended for foxes over about 25m. It needs a a few more grains of gun powder put in the cases ;)

Fun none the less!

TK
JamboWhoDat
Hunter

Post by JamboWhoDat »

Schlachtwolf wrote:I also don't understand why it is .17 is allowed for foxes and the .22 not, but whatever. I shot a few foxes with it up to around 70m and they all ran no matter where I placed the shot and ran and ran.... so if you want to up your tracking skills I recommend the .17, if you however want to harvest the animal in under 30 mins I would use (as it is the best for foxes in my opinion) the good old .223 semi auto or the .243 bolt action. Now a .243 lever action type of thing would be fun..... the .30-30 is the greatest waste of space in the game.

Cheers

Schlachtwolf
In real life the .17 HMR bullet is a lighter and faster bullet that creates more hydrostatic shock (transfer of kinetic energy into substances containing fluid like organs) to the body which translates to more damage caused by internal bleeding. A .22 LR is roughly half the velocity and energy and unless it hits an artery or penetrates to the heart, it will cause little to no internal bleeding thus less damage. The .17 HMR is used mostly for varmant and vermin hunting because of its damage capability. In general you would want to use the .22 LR over the .17 HMR for small game hunting, like rabbit and squirrel, because you would damage to much of the meat using the .17 HMR. Although a marksman's well placed .22 LR round at the proper distance will kill a fox, for the average hunter chances are fox will survive the initial hit and probably die a slow painful death a day or days later which makes the .22 LR on foxes unethical.

Return to “General Chat”