The .30-30 rifle is soo weak

General chat about The Hunter. For suggestions, please use the "Suggestions"-room below.
Graidlyz
Spotter

The .30-30 rifle is soo weak

Post by Graidlyz »

I know it has been updated loong ago to make it more powerful, but it is still very weak in my opinion.
It is allowed for medium sized animals like the .270 or Blaser R8, but it really feels like firing a BB gun to me, I can take down a small female kangaroo from around 100-130m pretty easily with the .243(which is obviously supposed to be less powerful since it can be used for foxes and not hogs/red deers like the .30-30), but with the .30-30, at the same distance, I usually get body hits.

I have no idea how powerful this weapon is in real life but I just don't understand why hogs or red deers are allowed to be hunted with that weapon in the game.

Anyone else find this weapon very weak? Or maybe someone find it actually very good?
DanthemanBoone
Outfitter

Re: The .30-30 rifle is soo weak

Post by DanthemanBoone »

In real life its a great weapon for in your face shooting, but generally considered a brush gun, Not recommended for use at ranges in excess of 100yrds.
Its a big heavy bullet with severe drop off at range, both in trajectory and killing power.

Its a very popular gun for pig hunters here in NZ, for shooting over dogs, like point blank to 30 yard shots.
The Carbine or Saddle Gun configurations are compact and robust making them ideal for crashing about through fern and brush and close range shooting.
But a standing joke is that using them at medium to long range requires that the bullet needs to be bounced off the ground in order to get any distance.
LOL

I owned a Marlin lever action in 30.30 for a while, and shot several red deer with excellent results but nothing over 60 yards as every one warned me about pushing the range too far.

I have played around with it in game but found it to be somewhat less than useful compared with the other guns we have.
Old hunters never die.They just sit around the campfires and tell the biggest lies.
Lindenborn
Tracker

Post by Lindenborn »

We call it a brush gun in South Texas as well! Great for close quarters on an havelina or hogs. I would never shoot it over 80-100yds at most but I love the gun irl. I was a little let down by it in the game though as were you!
trulight
Scout

Post by trulight »

In Michigan we call it, "Can I see the next rifle please."
gas56
Outfitter

Post by gas56 »

"DantheManBoone" summed it up pretty well wherever it is used,... A brush gun or close quarters, mostly never taking shots no further than 130 Meters max, and usually used on no bigger game than WT's.
I owned the 1894 Winchester 30/30 carbine lever action, and I like the 30/30 lever action in the game as well,... just learn it's limitations
and it is great gun with fast follow-up shots as long as you keep its range in mind. But with most guns a well placed shot works best IMO.
I carried the 30/30 lever action & the 30-06 lever action for a while, they're both a great combo for medium & large game (except Buffalo) and having enough ammunition between them to get a good hunt in the game.
Have a good 1.................GAS
Last edited by gas56 on April 22nd, 2017, 2:33 pm, edited 3 times in total.
waiora
Outfitter

Post by waiora »

Used it plenty for everything its ethical for, worked just fine
InstinctiveArcher
Outfitter

Post by InstinctiveArcher »

trulight wrote:In Michigan we call it, "Can I see the next rifle please."
What are you talking about? Here in Michigan it's one of the best swamp guns that there is.

In hunting, impossible doesn't exist any more than a sure thing does. - Tom Miranda
trulight
Scout

Post by trulight »

InstinctiveArcher wrote:
What are you talking about? Here in Michigan it's one of the best swamp guns that there is.
Pass :)
InstinctiveArcher
Outfitter

Post by InstinctiveArcher »

trulight wrote:
InstinctiveArcher wrote:
I'll let it slide this time :lol:

In hunting, impossible doesn't exist any more than a sure thing does. - Tom Miranda
trulight
Scout

Post by trulight »

InstinctiveArcher wrote:
trulight wrote:
InstinctiveArcher wrote: What are you talking about? Here in Michigan it's one of the best swamp guns that there is.
I'll let it slide this time :lol:
Whew got off this time! :)

Return to “General Chat”