wolves are hard to hunt

General chat about The Hunter. For suggestions, please use the "Suggestions"-room below.
Prinz1989
Hunter

wolves are hard to hunt

Post by Prinz1989 »

I think the wolves are amongst the hardest to hunt animals we have for now.
From the three hunting methods stalk, bait and call all have serious disadvanteges.

1. Stalk: Not only are the wolves hard to spot in the dense TgT forrests they also like to trott and chase a lot so you have to walk to get closer often spooking them.
2. Bait: Most carcasses I found were abandoned. Sometimes wolves were closeby, but they were more interested in chasing fresh prey. I have yet to see a pack actually feed on a carcass.
3. Call: Still the most reliable option for me, but they come in trotting which makes the shot a little harder if you don't lay an ambush. Also chasing and trotting seem to render ther caller useless. Also an elk cow might walk into you. ;)

Don't read this as a complaint, they should be hard to hunt. Allthough I think the chasing happens a little to often to be realistic. And why run after prey next to a complete carcass?

Anyway I'm interested in your thought on this.
RedDog101

Re: wolves are hard to hunt

Post by RedDog101 »

I have no trouble calling them in with the new caller, it works not to bad and have taken a few now, by the way this is the Original RedDog due to a computer turning turtle on me and can't get my Original User name back. The wolves are elusive yes they are but very attainable with a good location, and that takes a lot of walking and waiting and patience.

I find it best done from a tripod or Tower in the right place. I have found this way the most productive for me . I also have never found them feeding on a carcass. I have lived and hunted in British Columbia and saw a few Timber wolves. Did you know that Timber wolves from the western coast of the US and Can can reach a weight of 140 lbs. I have never hunted them though. I love walking the bush and taking Grizzly's that attack me with my faithful heavy 454 pistol with open sights, or the rifle. I have yet to see one from a tower, they hide in the bush, only got rushed once where I was killed. To really hunt them you have to go after them, they won't come to you unless you are close, then you have a short time to track and shoot him while he rushes you. Lots of fun I tell ya, I love the Gris and the fun hunting them, they are tough but fun. Just my thoughts on the Grizzly's.
Mrmr123
Outfitter

Post by Mrmr123 »

"2. Bait: Most carcasses I found were abandoned. Sometimes wolves were closeby, but they were more interested in chasing fresh prey. I have yet to see a pack actually feed on a carcass."

Same here :( dont know how is that suppose to work, Do carcasses act like Turkey Decoy which mean wolf have to be very close to it to be attracted? or are they like bear bait when it comes to wolf attraction zone? or are they fixed points for wolfs which mean if you wait enough time they will eventually come for it? I personally dont think its the later one, i waited hours on carcasses and nothing showed up...
Oswald74
Outfitter

Post by Oswald74 »

So far, I had luck with the wolf.

Shot only 3 but they came close to me and I don't have the caller.

But there is something strange with this game right now.

I had 2 really good huntings today. Saw some nice animals. Called animals walked were I last called and not to me like a homing missile.

After shooting 1 of a group the other animals did not turn 180° and ran straight away from me, they panicked, 1 started jumping arround, fleeing in all directions including were I stood.

Saw this twice now and it feels right!

Must be a bug because I can't believe that they try to make this game right after all those years! ;)

MfG L.E.

Ugly Pete
Tracker

Post by Ugly Pete »

I haven't got the caller and they are somewhat tough to hunt but I see them more as a bonus rather than a main target.

I've only had individuals coming to carcasses so far.
RogerYar
Tracker

Post by RogerYar »

Prinz1989 wrote:I think the wolves are amongst the hardest to hunt animals we have for now.
From the three hunting methods stalk, bait and call all have serious disadvanteges.
2. Bait: Most carcasses I found were abandoned. Sometimes wolves were closeby, but they were more interested in chasing fresh prey. I have yet to see a pack actually feed on a carcass.
3. Call: Still the most reliable option for me, but they come in trotting which makes the shot a little harder if you don't lay an ambush. Also chasing and trotting seem to render ther caller useless. Also an elk cow might walk into you. ;)
Combine Method 2 and 3:
- Findthe carcass
- put the treestand and Call to the wolves. When they come to you - stop using a caller.
- The first stop they make the point directly beneath you, at the point where they could hear the sound of caller. This is the first chance for a shot.
- Then they attract the carcass. They briefly stopped beside it. This is a second chance for a shot.
For me, this method works very well
mikeman1
Scout

Post by mikeman1 »

Combine Method 2 and 3:
- Findthe carcass
- put the treestand and Call to the wolves. When they come to you - stop using a caller.
- The first stop they make the point directly beneath you, at the point where they could hear the sound of caller. This is the first chance for a shot.
- Then they attract the carcass. They briefly stopped beside it. This is a second chance for a shot.
For me, this method works very well[/quote]

Ditto that. I've got 18 so far using that method. Still haven't seen a pack, or even an individual feeding on the carcass yet.
Code: Select all

gas56
Outfitter

Post by gas56 »

I killed 6 Wolves on a hunt just walking around their general area and their Elk kill spots, picking up tracks then stalking them.
Most of the Wolves were close by to these Elk kill spots. And I haven't even used a caller on them yet.
They seem no harder to find and kill than Coyotes & Foxes and it seems they are relatively easy to approach at medium distances.
In the game I don't really care to sit and wait very long on animals, and I am an opportunistic hunter usually hunting all species.
I find it more fun to stalk animals, than Stand Hunting in the game.
Have a good 1.............GAS
Prinz1989
Hunter

Post by Prinz1989 »

Thanks for the replys.
I agree that a stand you carry with you and the caller are the way to go. Aside from some opportunistic stalking. Since there is no small game in the lower parts of TGT you can fit a nice rifle, 30 shots and a tripot in you inventory.
Does anyone know if it's enough to use the caller once like with foxes and coyotes?
Thomen

Post by Thomen »

After a few tries to stalk and track them, I found a carcass in an open area and set up a tent nearby and a blind roughly 50m from the carcass. So far, out of 4 games, I saw a carcass twice in the same spot, after restarting the game.

Just closed my latest game, and I got 5 wolves there within around 40 minutes. The first two were part of a pack that came to the carcass roughly 10 minutes after game start. The other 3 I called in, and two of those I shot under 10m from the blind with a bow.

http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.c ... F938B51E5/

http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.c ... 508C08C9F/

http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.c ... 508C08C9F/

Return to “General Chat”