Timbergold -Adjectives and nouns

General chat about The Hunter. For suggestions, please use the "Suggestions"-room below.
kungfujesus

Timbergold -Adjectives and nouns

Post by kungfujesus »

Adjectives before nouns
Even south park knows the order
and yes i know it is just a name
pnShen
Hunter

Re: Timbergold -Adjectives and nouns

Post by pnShen »

As a non native english speaker, it bothers me too. There was many better suggestions. The meaning is just left out this time. shame. :?
TheMooseGuy
Outfitter

Post by TheMooseGuy »

As a native English speaker it sounded a bit off to me as well, but what's done is done and ultimately the name doesn't really matter that much, it's what is inside the reserve that counts.

I think it is still effective in conjuring up the image of golden leaves and forests.
Redkilo

Post by Redkilo »

They could've mashed on the keyboard to name the thing. I would hunt LOSDENGHVLODR all day if it was made well.

How about the real issues, such as the other day, when I was hunting, I heard an owl above my head, but when I looked up, there wasn't an owl.

There is even a place in TT called OWL'S PERCH, but guess what? That's right, no owl there either.

I'm on to you, EW. You and your incorrect naming schemes.
TundraPuppy
Outfitter

Post by TundraPuppy »

Incorrect. "Timbergold" is a compound noun, and there is no English grammatical rule that says, in a compound noun, the adjective must be prior to the noun. In fact, we have words where the opposite occurs, like "truckful" - a noun followed by an adjective.

Timbergold is a perfectly legitimate and grammatically correct word.
Am I doing a good job? I thrive on feedback! Please PM me, or my bosses Alena Rybik or Tod1d with comments, criticisms, or accolades!
MudBug
Outfitter

Post by MudBug »

TundraPuppy wrote:Incorrect. "Timbergold" is a compound noun, and there is no English grammatical rule that says, in a compound noun, the adjective must be prior to the noun. In fact, we have words where the opposite occurs, like "truckful" - a noun followed by an adjective.

Spot on!

After today's "fix" for the pink graphical glitch that didn't work, they may have to rename it to "Pink Unplayable Trails". :lol:
pnShen
Hunter

Post by pnShen »

MudBug wrote: After today's "fix" for the pink graphical glitch that didn't work, they may have to rename it to "Pink Unplayable Trails". :lol:
can you tell me where (section or link) bugreport is, because i want to add some images to it
HooCairs
Champion Hunter

Post by HooCairs »

TundraPuppy wrote:Incorrect. "Timbergold" is a compound noun, and there is no English grammatical rule that says, in a compound noun, the adjective must be prior to the noun. In fact, we have words where the opposite occurs, like "truckful" - a noun followed by an adjective.

Thanks for this post. I am reading through the thread thinking "what is this thread all about, what is the problem...?" :lol:

I was looking for an adjective, both timber and gold are (or can be) nouns.
My Youtube theHunter Wiki
Spoiler:
pnShen
Hunter

Post by pnShen »

"Compound nouns are words for people, animals, places, things, or ideas, made up of two or more words"

You are technically correct. Still, there could have been better results by playing with the words, adding some more (and deeper) meaning, using rythm (meter), adding puns etc.

I do not want to push this to a debate, so this is all i wanted to express about this.
caledonianblues
Master Hunter

Post by caledonianblues »

HooCairs wrote:I was looking for an adjective, both timber and gold are (or can be) nouns.
If used to describe the material or colour of something then gold would be an adjective, but in this case, as TundraPuppy correctly stated, "Timbergold" is a compound noun.
pnShen wrote:Still, there could have been better results by playing with the words, adding some more (and deeper) meaning, using rythm (meter), adding puns etc.
There was a thread for name suggestions which you didn't post in. Perhaps you should have ;)

Return to “General Chat”