Where to find Bighorn Sheep?

General chat about The Hunter. For suggestions, please use the "Suggestions"-room below.
BucksNBuffalo
Master Hunter

Re: Where to find Bighorn Sheep?

Post by BucksNBuffalo »

Guys, with all due respect, I do not think there is a shortage of Bighorns at all. I have had no trouble spotting them (aside from the fact that HINT..they camo very well up there), and even killed 7 of them in a slightly less than two hour span, and even some of that time was more spent goofing off with friends that had joined me. We all killed Bighorns, 3 of us. Have a look:

https://www.thehunter.com/#profile/buck ... n/66157806

The trick is, hunt them as you would hunt the Alpine Ibex. Do not walk upright often, stay in crouch, a lot of glassing, and when you do see tracks, be it prints or droppings, stay on them but trek carefully. Most of the Bighorn I have seen have been in small groups, like a male and 3 females or 2 males and 2 females, of course with a few singles here and there. But botom line, to be succesfulk hunting them and see a lot of them, you MUST take your time. They're eyesight is the same as the Ibex and can spot you from 80m out, and considering that the Bighorn make no sound (unlike the Ibex, which chirps when spooked) you have no idea if you were even near them or not. Chances are, most of you not seeing them already spooked them before you even knew they were there. Bighorn hunting is a game of patience and silence, as it should be.
jpm1
Outfitter

Post by jpm1 »

i guess people is doing what i was doing in the first minutes, they search for the cliffs. and sheeps roam the pine areas. and i confirm they are not difficult to spot .. and approach. this is my 1st (8m, no scope)

pastuh
Scout

Post by pastuh »

They also make sound, but i think its just glitch..
Sound was like someone droped stone.. just "Bump" .. its like 1 sec or less.. ^^
Ludante
Outfitter

Post by Ludante »

I think mine heard about me harvesting over 1000 of their fellow climbers in VDB..they are still in hiding..I saw only two in last 5 spawns..
I joined the forum in order to post pictures and videos from gameplay, also to get news, updates and additional features..Everything I say or post is purely for fun purposes.
Pontape
Tracker

Post by Pontape »

I dont think its worth to hunt them now. North of the map is very empty. I saw two bighorns so far. I shot one of them with bow. The other one just flew away. Yes they are glithched and can fly on steep surface :D Also I was able to hear them to walk from 70m. Not sure if is it bug or intended. Im going to wait till they patch them.
jeff1963
Hunter

Post by jeff1963 »

Put a tent on the white cap mountains in the north, start your hunt and look to the east north or west from there, you will find them pretty quick.
Thanks, ~Jeff

abslayer
Master Competitor

Post by abslayer »

Identical ibex :( The point is Big Horn are not ibex and should in no way have same behavior NOT even in same ball park
JK_ElkHunter
Outfitter

Post by JK_ElkHunter »

Could not even find ONE! Lol, I'll try again later tonight, does anybody have any tips?
Spoiler:

jpm1
Outfitter

Post by jpm1 »

Pontape wrote:I dont think its worth to hunt them now. North of the map is very empty. I saw two bighorns so far. I shot one of them with bow. The other one just flew away. Yes they are glithched and can fly on steep surface :D Also I was able to hear them to walk from 70m. Not sure if is it bug or intended. Im going to wait till they patch them.
sorry, but i disagree. north is not empty, not empty at all. in one session there i think i saw around 15 of them. including 2 or 3 big herds (5+ specimens). i hunt without HM, so i'm a lot crouched. could be a reason.. search pines areas, and not rocks areas
DonderDeer
Outfitter

Post by DonderDeer »

pastuh wrote:They also make sound, but i think its just glitch..
Sound was like someone droped stone.. just "Bump" .. its like 1 sec or less.. ^^
I think "bump" is the perfect way to describe the sound they make. Whether this is realistic or a bug I have no idea, but when I first heard it I pictured this in my head:
homk

Return to “General Chat”