Willow Ptarmigans are out!

General chat about The Hunter. For suggestions, please use the "Suggestions"-room below.
Hawkeye
Outfitter

Re: Willow Ptarmigans are out!

Post by Hawkeye »

therisths wrote: Just checking vdb hosts and see what players hunt , even if you check players harvests you will get an average of 50-150 harvest which means that players barely hunt them.
You're basing a hard 70% statistic on MP host map numbers? How do you know what species is being hunted on the map? How do you know that previously inflated numbers weren't due to a) Ibex required for Summer Fiesta mission or b) Brown Bear requirement for Summer Fiesta mission, or c) Roe Deer requirement for Summer Fiesta mission, or d) Roe, Reds & Ibex being required for Summer Fiesta competition, or some combination of all of the above? How do you account for single player numbers?

I don't think you can accurately make any informed guess as to whether or not the numbers have increased or declined. Even if you do note a decline, that doesn't necessarily mean it's due to the community not enjoying hunting them. It could be much more practical reasons, such as the natural decline that happens after every new release, or the participation in the Summer Fiesta events that many players are solely focused on.

Speaking for myself and my wife, we loved the short time we were able to spend hunting both new Ptarmigan species, but I doubt either of us hunt them again until the event is over.
therisths
Hunter

Post by therisths »

When you are going to join a game you can see the host's map and see the exact location of each player in the game, since they are not in ibex area they dont hunt ptrarmigants after that you check their hunt statistics.Believe it or not , i like checking other players progress, specially after hackers ''invasion''

it so simple , from my experience hosting muptiplayer games, for example players joined me and all i read( in the first place) in the chat was: we cant found them , we cant spot them, they flee so far away from us when we flush them,we cant track them afterwards as a result they ft to lodge to hunt something else. Just think about that, they found rock ptarmigants difficult , the ones that live in a limited area where there is no escape for them but still its so difficult for most of the players, so what about willow since they live everywhere? I hope you to understand what im saying here.

I never said that hunting rock or willow ptarmigants is not enjoyable, interesting or anything like that.
Hawkeye
Outfitter

Post by Hawkeye »

therisths wrote:When you are going to join a game you can see the host's map and see the exact location of each player in the game, since they are not in ibex area they dont hunt ptrarmigants after that you check their hunt statistics.Believe it or not , i like checking other players progress, specially after hackers ''invasion''

it so simple , from my experience hosting muptiplayer games, for example players joined me and all i read( in the first place) in the chat was: we cant found them , we cant spot them, they flee so far away from us when we flush them,we cant track them afterwards as a result they ft to lodge to hunt something else. Just think about that, they found rock ptarmigants difficult , the ones that live in a limited area where there is no escape for them but still its so difficult for most of the players, so what about willow since they live everywhere? I hope you to understand what im saying here.

I never said that hunting rock or willow ptarmigants is not enjoyable, interesting or anything like that.
No, but you DID say that hunting numbers for ptarmigan have declined 70%. You do not have the data to back that up.
therisths
Hunter

Post by therisths »

No, but you DID say that hunting numbers for ptarmigan have declined 70%. You do not have the data to back that up.

No i didnt say that numbers of ptarmigants have declined , i said that about 70% of the players stop or barely hunt them. The point is not if its 50 -60 or 70 , the point is that lots of players cant hunt them.
BucksNBuffalo
Master Hunter

Willow Ptarmigans are out!

Post by BucksNBuffalo »

Therisths, You said above that in your MP games, people say things like "we can't find them", "we can't track them", "we can't get the because they flush too far", etc. I've been in this game a very long time, and can say those are the typical complaints from most who believe that they can just run around and find things. HD is a large area, and a lot of the animals are well camoflauged. It can even be tough to see Roe Deer, so imagine an even smaller animal. It's not that "they can't find them", they are just not looking too well or are spooking them before they even know they are there. Trust me, patience (which most do not have in this day and age) rules the day to find them. Who knows? There probably are some issues with them still. I mean, this IS theHunter (LOL). But by no means can you say in absolute that, and I quote:
therisths wrote:the point is that lots of players cant hunt them.
You cannot say that with absolute certainty. You keep saying in absolutes, as if it's fact that most players cannot hunt them. You do not know that for a fact, no one does. If it were an issue, you've been around long enough to know the way this forum lights up when there are problems. If most people "can't" hunt them, you'd better believe we'd all know this. Watch how much the people who join your MP game's tune changes when someone posts a map that shows where to find them, such as HooCair's maps. ;)
therisths
Hunter

Post by therisths »

Most of the new players have no patience thats why they hunt ducks phesants and geese only , at least its their no1 priority since they need no skills or experience to hunt them because its so easy. By reading your comment i can say that pretty much we are saying the same thing. Rock and willow ptarmigants are fine, i love how they flush off the ground , their sound everything, it has nothing to do with ptarmigants its about players and when i hear from them that they cant hunt them i feel bad about it because they dont give it a try and just quit hunting them, i may feel bad but it drives me crazy too!
BucksNBuffalo
Master Hunter

Post by BucksNBuffalo »

therisths wrote:Most of the new players have no patience thats why they hunt ducks phesants and geese only , at least its their no1 priority since they need no skills or experience to hunt them because its so easy. By reading your comment i can say that pretty much we are saying the same thing. Rock and willow ptarmigants are fine, i love how they flush off the ground , their sound everything, it has nothing to do with ptarmigants its about players and when i hear from them that they cant hunt them i feel bad about it because they dont give it a try and just quit hunting them, i may feel bad but it drives me crazy too!
See? You just said the answer yourself. You said most new players hunt ducks and geese (instant gratification lol), but you know as well as I do, like any new toy, everybody wants to play with it. So those same people want to try the Ptarmigans, thinking they are just as easy as the ducks and geese, and then they find they actually have to hunt them. Sayonara. ;) See? So it's not that "'most people cannot hunt them" or "70% of people". People can hunt them perfectly fine, it's the ones seeking instant gratification are the ones that "can't hunt them" LOL
therisths
Hunter

Post by therisths »

They will hunt them when they will find them , since they cant find them or it takes hours to find them , they will try once twice maybe give it a third try but after that they quit.So simple , even ''veteran'' players find their hunt kinda difficult. See, none of the Hemmeldal lodges descriptions has the willow ptarmigant information so the player has to search all over the map (there are snow hills everywhere in the map).
gas56
Outfitter

Post by gas56 »

therisths wrote:They will hunt them when they will find them , since they cant find them or it takes hours to find them , they will try once twice maybe give it a third try but after that they quit.So simple , even ''veteran'' players find their hunt kinda difficult. See, none of the Hemmeldal lodges descriptions has the willow ptarmigant information so the player has to search all over the map (there are snow hills everywhere in the map).

I haven't hunted them yet, because I've been so busy....
but some new players give up because hunting isn't there cup of tea. But not all... everybody here that stays was a new player when they first started.
And if a hunter has to search all over the map that is just part of hunting. What better way to learn a map?
But if they say they are in Hemm, than that's my best bet where to find them.
If you can find them... than players who want to shoot some bad enough also will find them.
I was tripping all over the Rock Ptarmigan in V.D.B. while I was hunting Ibex, so I imagine their cousin the Willow Ptarmigan isn't that much harder to find when I go hunting there.
Have a good one.
HooCairs
Champion Hunter

Post by HooCairs »

Has anyone tried fetching these with a dog? Does this work?

Wiki wants to know. :)
My Youtube theHunter Wiki
Spoiler:

Return to “General Chat”