summer fiesta competition

General chat about The Hunter. For suggestions, please use the "Suggestions"-room below.
waiora
Outfitter

summer fiesta competition

Post by waiora »

So looking at this, my initial thoughts are, 35 days is a long time, 50 attempts isnt much.

Im thinking it would be better to not post scores right away. Maybe wait till 2 species overlap then start hunting them.

Any thoughts?
JamboWhoDat
Hunter

Re: summer fiesta competition

Post by JamboWhoDat »

Considering you do not know which species in advance, probably not a good idea, at least not for those of us with limited time available. The first species is Roe deer, but the next species could be Bison with Mallard duck after that followed by Mule deer. That is possibly 14 days worth of comps that could be missed if waiting for species overlap on a reserve. However, waiting a few days to start when a second species or third species is available may be the way to go. One thing that might be worth doing is if you only have 4 to 5 hours available a day to hunt, start your attempt in the afternoon such that your hunting day will expire at 1900 and spawn you a fresh set of animals for 0500. That way you can get two fresh spawn of animals per attempt. Also if you get started sooner rather than later, you can go ahead and knock out one or two of the species, so when you do start to get overlap you can focus on the species you do not have yet, but still have a chance to improve your score with a previous species if the opportunity presents itself. One thing you definitely want to do is top off or set up any feeders now before activating any comps. Would hate having to waste an attempt filling a feeder.
waiora
Outfitter

Post by waiora »

JamboWhoDat wrote:Considering you do not know which species in advance, probably not a good idea, at least not for those of us with limited time available. The first species is Roe deer, but the next species could be Bison with Mallard duck after that followed by Mule deer. That is possibly 14 days worth of comps that could be missed if waiting for species overlap on a reserve. However, waiting a few days to start when a second species or third species is available may be the way to go. One thing that might be worth doing is if you only have 4 to 5 hours available a day to hunt, start your attempt in the afternoon such that your hunting day will expire at 1900 and spawn you a fresh set of animals for 0500. That way you can get two fresh spawn of animals per attempt. Also if you get started sooner rather than later, you can go ahead and knock out one or two of the species, so when you do start to get overlap you can focus on the species you do not have yet, but still have a chance to improve your score with a previous species if the opportunity presents itself.
We dont know which species but we know what the scoring format is. if you looked at the .50 caplock event, pigs got excluded because of the score gap.

With 2 species being added per week, that leaves 15 total at the end.

My guess is the following :

Roe deer
Whitetail
Muledeer
Blacktail
Sitka deer
Reindeer
Moose
Ibex
Elk
Red Deer
Bison
Turkey
Roo

The last 2 is open for debate :D Maybe the pigs? or maybe bears score by weight rather than score. Who knows.

I do hope it will be something like this and not a format where geese/ducks/rabbits dictate all the winners :D

Or maybe we get what we always wanted, a format where you get placed for each different species and your place is your score. not a mix of various scoring animals
JamboWhoDat
Hunter

Post by JamboWhoDat »

waiora wrote: a format where you get placed for each different species and your place is your score. not a mix of various scoring animals
I do hope we get an improved and fair scoring system for the comp such that massacres and hunting one species will not be all you need to do. I think it should be something like only your highest scoring animal for each species counts towards your total score, and you do not get a score until each and every species is counted. In other words, not having a score for a specific species will count against you, so you can not skip a species because the score is low or you do not like hunting it, and you can not hunt just one high scoring species over and over for your score.
waiora
Outfitter

Post by waiora »

Does look like they are only adding species. Red deer today already made it worth waiting a few days.
JamboWhoDat
Hunter

Post by JamboWhoDat »

Yep I agree definitely better to have waited especially now that I understand it is the best of your first 3 harvest per species among all attempts. At first I thought it was best from first three per attempt. It would have been foolish to have wasted a few attempts already on just the roe deer and not be able to harvest that record breaking roe later when you were hunting for something else.

Return to “General Chat”