How much have you spent (Em's & Gm's)

General chat about The Hunter. For suggestions, please use the "Suggestions"-room below.
caledonianblues
Master Hunter

Re: How much have you spent (Em's & Gm's)

Post by caledonianblues »

Tanngnjostr wrote:I agree, except the "hard-earned" part. :lol:
Hey, speak for yourse ... ah, who am I kidding?! Well, at least it was earned and not stolen, that's what counts right? :)
Tanngnjostr
Master Hunter

Post by Tanngnjostr »

caledonianblues wrote:Well, at least it was earned and not stolen, that's what counts right? :)
My lawyer advised me not to reply any further. :?
Image Image Image
atc86
Tracker

Post by atc86 »

caledonianblues wrote:
InvisibleFlame9 wrote:Why are you even having this conversation? Does it make your feel better?
Maybe it helps some to feel better if they see that others have invested comparable amounts of money. I started to spend money on this game pretty soon after I found it, then I got into hosting competitions and that was the beginning of the end. No regrets though. I'm at around the 700,000 em$ mark now, and about 15-20 years of memberships (most of this in competition and event prizes of course).

I guess another question to those who have posted in this thread, is how much value do you feel you've had from your investment? If you could find the game all over again, would you spend less second time around? I wouldn't do anything differently. I've spent more on theHunter than any other game, including flight simulators which I've invested lots in, and even after having spent thousands of dollars I still feel like I get great value for money. I love this game and the community, and I love community competitions. I will continue to spend for as long as the game exists.

I think it's awesome that we have such a loyal community of players that are willing to part with their hard-earned cash to support the game.
I've spent more money on AAA title games that have a yearly release cycle and lack in content. As far as I'm concerned the £300-400 I've spent on this game is money well spent. The content is regularly updated and there is always something new keeping me interested in the game. I'll happily spend £60-100 a year on this title, I've been doing that for certain AAA games and like I say they offer no where near as much enjoyment as TH does for me.

I think it's easy to take it out of perspective when people seem to have spent £1000 on this game but maybe they have been playing since it's release which would work out at £100 per year (the same you would spend on any title these days)
xOEDragonx

Post by xOEDragonx »

Em$ 50398.00
Gm$ 81471.00

Worth every penny, and I agree with all those above. I find it interesting to see what others have spent over how long they've played, and I think it's fun to see how you compare to others. It's not about who's wallet is the deepest or who can flash the most cash, it's about supporting something you enjoy. If you look at the dollar signs on this thread with disgust, I'm not convinced you're seeing the whole picture. I have purchased tons of videogames in my short lifetime, with pricetags of anywhere from $5-$60. Some of those games were played once, and the disc was put back in the case to never be seen again, or it was uninstalled from the computer to never be heard from again or... in some cases, it's been sitting in my Steam library for a year or more and I still haven't even installed or played it the first time. My point is that I've spent decent chunks of money on games that I got less than minutes of entertainment from and it wasn't the end of the world, but I didn't continue to invest anymore time or money in something that I knew I wasn't going to like. Every now and then I find a gem of a one-time purchase game and wish I could have paid more for it than I did, simply because I feel that strongly about supporting the developers.

And then, there's theHunter. I'll leave the math to you, but in the 14 months I've been playing, Steam tells me I've racked up almost 1500 hours of gameplay in Classic. Maybe that says something to others about my lifestyle, but hopefully it also says something about my dedication to something I feel strongly about. This game is a lot of the excitement of real hunting without all of the associated efforts and costs (And just note, whatever I've spent on this game in just over a year's time, I've spent a whole lot more than that on real hunting in that same timeframe, and almost always for stuff I really don't need at all!). When people have a hobby they're passionate about, they tend to invest in it greatly. While I'm a jack of all trades and do a little bit of many things in my life, there are really only two hobbies I consistently return to and therefore I keep spending money on them. In this case, they just so happen to be hunting and gaming, and theHunter just so happens to meet both of those criteria so money spending is inevitable. Just like I don't need an entire $500+ flock of Avian X turkey decoys to turkey hunt in real life, I don't need a $10 pixel gun to hunt virtually either. But you can bet your bottom dollar if I have some spare change for personal expenses at the end of the month after the bills are paid and the family is fed, I'm gonna get both 8-)
Djehmli
Tracker

Post by Djehmli »

I don't regret a dime I've spent on this game. I found it by happen stance and within the first two hours of game play I was hooked. I bought my first membership and a couple of clothing bundles and then went from there. 2k in less than a year is pennies compared to the money I would drop for the competitive horse shows I used to do each year. Now I've got a membership for just shy of a decade, way too many reserve setups (for someone who hasn't opened a map for multi player.. yet) and tons of fun memories.

And I am a trophy lodge addict... I'd refund a few of them just to have the ability to add module 'rooms' to one. ( I currently have Personal bests for each season since lodge release, a rares lodge, a 'smallest you ever had the misfortune to shoot' lodge and a couple others in waiting)

Regardless, when I look at my other hobbies (Horses, textiles like knitting and crochet, Hunting and Fishing) the money spent here isn't as surprising. I work hard to live the way I want, and I know my money is assisting in keeping this wonderful virtual set of reserves around for me to enjoy in the future.
Spoiler:

stancomputerhunter
Trophy Hunter

Post by stancomputerhunter »

InvisibleFlame9 wrote:Why are you even having this conversation? Does it make your feel better?
Why is every post you make here a complaint. Why do you even post here?

Image Rares: 86 NTs: 29
Radamus
Master Hunter

Post by Radamus »

I Flame~ It's perspective. We all see it different. I see this as a support system that's therapeutic in nature. I've had many stages and early on I was hesitant to buy EM because it was all new. Seeing what others spent made me feel pretty good about it.
I don't regret a bit of it because I like it. I actually get more impressed when I see hunters who I know are really good and post relatively small numbers. It proves that you can do a lot with very little and affirms the principal rule that you can't buy success and I LOVE that since it's not a "He with the most gold wins" kind of situation. No matter how much one has, there's always someone with more.
DOn't think I've ever posted my $EM? maybe have, not sure, really don't care about it but it's pointless in meaning, the actual figure. Plenty have spent more and less - the point is, I feel better whenever this perennial subject comes up just in observing those going through the same introspective thoughts I know I've been through myself :D ~

TheHunter is either the wind that fills your sails or it isn't ~ It's not any more complicated than that.
"Out of all competitors, Radamus was the only one who got it I think" - BCKidd
"Ugh, I absolutely hate the thought that Radamus is right about this and I was wrong...!!!" Splainin2do
I can't afford a swear jar - xOEDragon
Spoiler:
Pretty_Boy
Outfitter

Post by Pretty_Boy »

caledonianblues wrote:I guess another question to those who have posted in this thread, is how much value do you feel you've had from your investment? If you could find the game all over again, would you spend less second time around? I wouldn't do anything differently. I've spent more on theHunter than any other game, including flight simulators which I've invested lots in, and even after having spent thousands of dollars I still feel like I get great value for money. I love this game and the community, and I love community competitions. I will continue to spend for as long as the game exists.
Very good question! In my case, a person who struggle alot with panic anxiety, how much value is it for me to be able to avoid an upcomming attack? It’s easy for people to tell me: «Take a walk around the block, or go to the gym, this will cool you down...» If you havent seen a stupid look before, you will definetly get one from me. Just the thought of crossing my doorstep makes me shiwer... My psycholog is right in one thing, do something, be active, or be creative. Okay, what can I do inside my house to be active? Well there are several things I do, but by resting behind my computer and spent time in this game, is probably one of the best things I can do, at least to keep my mind bizzy with simple things, that again takes or brings negative anxiety thoughts and feelings no a distance. Iwe spoken to alot of people inside the health care business, and they do agree that this game has a very good effect on me, actually in several occurances theywe told me to play some hunter. From another point of view, I do see this a bit problematic if doctors go out and spread the word, go play some computer game! My point in this case is very spesific, and its about the origin of human anxiety actually. From the time when our ansistors was hunters, it was about survival, hunt or get hunted, and the principe about attack or run. This game, when you have played the game for 2000 hours or more, and you see the monster Elk 450+ for the first time comming up in the fog at 18:55 in-game time, thats when you taste a bit of panic anxiety behind your desktop. But in this case I can say, relax Its just a game, but for me a good feeling of dying, Im sure Iwe died many times, but by the hartbeat Iwe got the same ammount of wakeup calls...

Doing something differs from watching tv, thats passive and dont help me with my anxiety. Being creative with music, video og gaming in an interactive way is good for me.

I tell other people Im not addicted to this game, but its more or less a lifestyle, and I use it as a tool to cool me down... The other good things, community, comps, missions, and the great Alena, yea this is all sidemissions in a way of comming along and heving some great time together...

Peace,
PB

BCKidd

Post by BCKidd »

Nuthin' wrong with supporting this game! I love it and as others have said I'd do it again undoubtedly.

EM$ 36274.00 - whatever that equals in real cash. Very little I'm sure compared to others, but, hey it all goes to the same cause, keepin' theHunter alive and well.
GM$ 135512.00- still have a lot of missions to finish... ;) Peace.

BCKidd.

"Patience and perseverance, are not an option if you want that trophy, they are a necessity."

Keep it real!
"Careful, David, he's Canadian......They eat people you know." Fletchette.
Wrein

Post by Wrein »

Those are my numbers, no regret spending any of this and will probably spend more in the future.

Current balance Total spent
Em$ 4294.00 Em$ 26855.00
Gm$ 4757.00 Gm$ 36109.00

I love the game and I hope it helps the devs as much as it makes it fun for me to hunt.

Return to “General Chat”