Snap shooting with trad bows

General chat about The Hunter. For suggestions, please use the "Suggestions"-room below.
InstinctiveArcher
Outfitter

Re: Snap shooting with trad bows

Post by InstinctiveArcher »

maros.kuzar wrote: BTW I forgot to mention that thank goes to InstinctiveArcher for the inspiration ;)
Glad I was able to give you this idea and that you were able to go it and test it. :)
I will have to try this some time. I feel like consistent, accurate snap shooting out past 10m will be difficult to do simply because of the way the bow is drawn and all that.
Still, I'll give it a try. Very nice experiment and great job reporting all of the conclusions. I never knew the platforms were made of water. :? :lol:

In hunting, impossible doesn't exist any more than a sure thing does. - Tom Miranda
Slatkus
Hunter

Post by Slatkus »

Interesting read. Few questions though - why do you go through all these troubles? What kind of advantages does this technique gives compared with other techniques?

I am not trying to make your effort useless in any way as I don't know anything about bow irl. Just wanted to know the purpose of this test.
InstinctiveArcher
Outfitter

Slatkus wrote:Interesting read. Few questions though - why do you go through all these troubles? What kind of advantages does this technique gives compared with other techniques?

I am not trying to make your effort useless in any way as I don't know anything about bow irl. Just wanted to know the purpose of this test.
In real life, instinctive snap shooting is very very useful for hunting. He's trying to find a way to implement it into the game, which could be very beneficial for when you need to raise up and make a fast shot.

In hunting, impossible doesn't exist any more than a sure thing does. - Tom Miranda
Exanimis
Hunter

Post by Exanimis »

I am interested in checking out that third method of shooting, snap shooting, I haven't tried it yet. I don't know about too many weapons in game, I mostly hunt with a recurve but as far as I can tell the wobble in the aim does not decrease with use or experience. You may increase your stats but the wobble will always be there at least that is what I see so far with the recurve.
InstinctiveArcher
Outfitter

Exanimis wrote: You may increase your stats but the wobble will always be there at least that is what I see so far with the recurve.
Maybe it extends how long you can hold the bow at full draw?

DHRifleman
Team Hunter

Post by DHRifleman »

It actually does both. Increases in skill reduces wobble, and increases the time at full draw before the bow starts to drop. As you increase the skill, the decrease in wobble isn't very detectable, but comparing skill level 1 to 10 side by side you will see a difference. Also, the longer you can hold at full draw the more you will see the wobble.
The above statements are strictly my opinion, and should not be taken as fact, even if I believe them to be true.
Antlercreeklodge.com Tournaments
Permitted Weapons per Reserve By ClemD
Exanimis
Hunter

Post by Exanimis »

According to the wiki a small circle on the V while tracking with the huntermate means that the animal is near but anyone who plays this game knows that it actually means you have lost the track and when you find it again it will read as the animal fleeing. I know for a fact that while laying prone with the .357 and aiming at a fox that taking a breath with the space bar, as the wiki recommends to reduce wobble, actually increases the wobble with that weapon. I have been testing several weapons with the breath held and although it does improve aim with some weapons it increases wobble with others. As with almost anything this is a matter of personal perspective but my experiments have shown me the truth of the above statements.
caliber420
Hunter

Post by caliber420 »

I haven't actively tested it by comparing results, but I run my recurve as my "sidearm" for fast draw close shots to avoid charges. Guess you can call it snap shooting?
https://www.instagram.com/stubborn_bowhunter/
“Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person.”
Tanngnjostr
Master Hunter

Post by Tanngnjostr »

Exanimis wrote:taking a breath with the space bar, as the wiki recommends to reduce wobble, actually increases the wobble with that weapon.
My experience is that you should wait 1-2 seconds after pressing the space bar before you shoot, because that's the "sweet spot" when there will be always no wobble. But I'm talking of rifles here, I don't know if it's the same with bows or if it's just my imagination at all.
Exanimis wrote:According to the wiki a small circle on the V while tracking with the huntermate means that the animal is near but anyone who plays this game knows that it actually means you have lost the track and when you find it again it will read as the animal fleeing.
Now I hope you're just kidding here...?
Image Image Image
DHRifleman
Team Hunter

Post by DHRifleman »

Exanimis wrote:According to the wiki a small circle on the V while tracking with the huntermate means that the animal is near but anyone who plays this game knows that it actually means you have lost the track and when you find it again it will read as the animal fleeing.
The circle size is based on the speed the animal was traveling at when the track was made. If it was roaming it would be close if it kept traveling at the same speed. Obviously you spooked it just after it places the track with the small circle.
The above statements are strictly my opinion, and should not be taken as fact, even if I believe them to be true.
Antlercreeklodge.com Tournaments
Permitted Weapons per Reserve By ClemD

Return to “General Chat”