Fixing Sound Bugs - Any feedback?

Share your ideas and suggestions for The Hunter here
nosnerb
Outfitter

Re: Fixing Sound Bugs - Any feedback?

Post by nosnerb »

that's a good point... Have your dog fetch anything to test it... really annoying... make me put Bandit away for a while
Mich Angel
Hunter

Post by Mich Angel »

Been hunting in WRR and there is IMO still to looud wind it realy take the immesion out of the hunt for nr.1 trees are not effected by this harsh wind nr.2 there is no snow effected by this harsh wind nr3 it is still way to much of it asap you enter a open space or on top of a hill it's the same wind I realy think this harsh loud wind shoud be toned down a lot untill there is matching environment to it.. or it just feel so wrong!
Hunt with your head not with your itchy trigger finger.. and things probably turn out a lot more successful and fun ;)

Gregoire Iwaniec
EW Staff
EW Staff

Post by Gregoire Iwaniec »

Ok I will check with animators for the dog, let's see what we can do.

As far as WRR is concerned I think we need more details. I have been playing it quite a bit, a while there are some obvious issues of unjustified sudden raise of the wind volume, the overall ambient sound is pretty low, lower than other map, don't you think so?

Nevertheless, I will be adjusting mixes so it is more homogeneous.
Mich Angel
Hunter

Post by Mich Angel »

Yea over all the sound on WRR is really good it is just that infernal wind when it set off and seem to unbalance the rest and that is frustrating to say the least ;)
Hunt with your head not with your itchy trigger finger.. and things probably turn out a lot more successful and fun ;)

AlBrennin

Post by AlBrennin »

I have 5.1 surround and I feel like the game is only 2.0 channels. I may be wrong about this, but I find no settings to change between stereo and surround and my experience with animal calls sounding like they are from the left, but then huntermate tells me its on the right, I don't know what to think.

1. a) goose LR, deer bleat, sound like they are on the right side behind me, when the caller is right in front of my face. Yet, all duck calls are balanced L/R. All callers should sound like they are where they are.
b) I can hear ducks from 200m away but if I'm 100m from a team mate using a call, I can't hear the caller, but the ducks can. However if I'm right close to the team mate, I can't hear the ducks. I think the total volume is fine, but the gradual distance to 0% should be farther; maybe twice as much. All callers should be examined here.

2. you can't hear water or shore until you get close and then it's suddenly there. This really should go for all ambient environment sound, it should gradually change as you get close.

3. on some maps I hear animals that I can't see. For instance seagulls or some type of bird in WRR. Sounds great, but too loud for not being able to see anything. It's loud enough I think I could shoot one if it were really there. Frogs and crickets and such are fine, but any species that is as large as a rabbit or duck should be there to hunt or its sounds should be eliminated. The loons(?) or whatever is in Rougarou Bayou are annoying, and never stop even after firing a weapon. Wouldn't they fly away or hide?

4. I noticed this on Val-de-Bois, when it was raining. I was in a tree stand, and when I looked up above the horizon line, the sound would flip as if I had inverted the wires on my speakers. If I looked back down below the horizon line it would flip back.
willybepop
Hunter

Post by willybepop »

AlBrennin wrote:I have 5.1 surround and I feel like the game is only 2.0 channels. I may be wrong about this, but I find no settings to change between stereo and surround and my experience with animal calls sounding like they are from the left, but then huntermate tells me its on the right, I don't know what to think.
I had read in another thread that the game was only optimized for 2.1.
AlBrennin

Post by AlBrennin »

willybepop wrote:
Gregoire Iwaniec wrote: My first instinct is to ask you directly if there is any particular sound bug that breaks your immersion in the game.

Lack of 5.1. I can't be "immersed" if I'm not "immersed".
Fletchette
Trophy Hunter

Post by Fletchette »

AlBrennin wrote:
willybepop wrote:
Gregoire Iwaniec wrote: My first instinct is to ask you directly if there is any particular sound bug that breaks your immersion in the game.

Lack of 5.1. I can't be "immersed" if I'm not "immersed".
Don't be confused between how the sound files are mastered, and what the game's sound engine is producing. I play with Dolby 7.1, and the surround function is completely functional. I can tell exactly what direction each sound is coming from 360 degrees around me.
Personal Bests...
Tod1d
Lead Moderator
Lead Moderator

Post by Tod1d »

Fletch, How? Are you using speakers or surround headset? I use an Arctic surround headset and no matter how I set it, the sounds in game come from front, hard right, hard left, or rear,
and the front & rear are very narrow margins. i.e. If I'm facing the source of the sound it plays in the front. If I turn 5-10° it jumps to only right, or only left.

I can determine the direction by turning until it's centered in the front, but for single sounds like animal calls I have to rely on the HM.
It's "Tod", with one bloody 'd'!
Fletchette
Trophy Hunter

Post by Fletchette »

Tod1d wrote:Fletch, How? Are you using speakers or surround headset? I use an Arctic surround headset and no matter how I set it, the sounds in game come from front, hard right, hard left, or rear,
and the front & rear are very narrow margins. i.e. If I'm facing the source of the sound it plays in the front. If I turn 5-10° it jumps to only right, or only left.

I can determine the direction by turning until it's centered in the front, but for single sounds like animal calls I have to rely on the HM.
Logitech Wireless Gaming Headset G930 with 7.1 Surround Sound......It's a USB sound system, so it's using it's own drivers and not the ones for my motherboard's sound card. I don't know what magic it's performing, but for almost all of the sounds the transition through 360 degrees is smooth. There are a few exceptions I've noticed, like the sound of waterfalls on RFF where the volume seems to change abruptly depending on the direction I am facing. For most sounds, (animal calls, waterfowl flocks, animals walking, etc.), after hearing a sound, I can literally turn to the direction of the sound within a few degrees of accuracy when I hear it, regardless of what direction if came from.

If you look at the image below, you can see the LGS (Logitech Gaming Software) "claims" it is detecting surround content from theHunter, because 2:32am is the moment I quit my last game before going to bed last night. That date/time will get updated every time I start a game in theHunter. My assumption is that although the sounds are mastered in 2.1, the game's sound engine (I forget the name, but I remember they announced they upgraded it last summer), then takes that sound file, along with information from the game-engine about position and direction, and synthesises a 7.1 surround stream if it detects that 7.1 drivers are available and set as the default playback device the game is outputting to.

Personal Bests...

Return to “Thoughts & Suggestions”